Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 10:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Today I sent my son to shop for me at Sams club. I forgot how extremely specific one must be when making shopping lists

I did state one onion. Ok, I forgot, Sams only sells produce in bulk. So, comes home with a fie pound bag of onions They're really nice, large, perfectly round, white onions. But what do I do with them?

Any recipes? How to store so many onions and not have them sprout?

Help---ideas, please!
We always get the 5 or 6 lb bags at Sam's. Normally they are very fresh and will last for weeks or even months. I keep them in the garage even during the summer. But obviously they don't keep as long in the summer months. One way we love them is grilled but be sure to not cut off the end that keeps the slicing together. Otherwise you will have a lot of grilled, little pieces and that just is not the same. There are a lot of ways to use them other than just in salads and sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 10:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If they were vadalia I know what we'd make with them- Southern vadalia onion pie! One of my all time favorite dishes.

Unfortunately I think white onion would be a wee bit strong for that.
Actually the Vadalia season is almost here thank goodness, but the sweet white onions from Sam's are very similar to Valalias. We make tomato onion pie with them Too bad tomatoes pretty much suck right now.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:32 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
An onion is used for the simplest red sauce ever-- https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...s-tomato-sauce

If I have too many onions or half of a cut one, I dice & freeze in ziplocks &/or slice along with bell peppers & freeze for fajitas. I also freeze ends & excess celery with chopped onion for spaghetti sauce, stew, stuffing.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:47 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
5 lbs of onions doesn't last more than a week or two in our house. We do a lot of soups, stews, sauces, etc. Indian, Asian, European, Mexican, etc. cuisines all use lots of onion. If I'm making a pot of chili, I use equal weights of ground bison or beef, and onions, double the weight in tomatoes.

I second (or third?) the French onion soup. So delicious and relatively simple to make. Just make sure not to rush the caramelizing of the onions before deglazing the pot.

Another suggestion would be a shish kebab. Loves me some grilled onions!

Old 04-07-2020, 12:03 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Today I sent my son to shop for me at Sams club. I forgot how extremely specific one must be when making shopping lists

I did state one onion. Ok, I forgot, Sams only sells produce in bulk. So, comes home with a fie pound bag of onions They're really nice, large, perfectly round, white onions. But what do I do with them?

Any recipes? How to store so many onions and not have them sprout?

Help---ideas, please!
I'd return them.

If I were forced to keep them, I'd give them away. If I had any left, I suppose onion soup is a possibility. If I have other good stuff for ingredients on hand. Soups freeze well, too.

If someone isn't on a diet or health eating plan, breaded fried onions would be tasty.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:54 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I’ve chopped onions
And used them for
Ant barriers. Around the house

Old 04-07-2020, 01:18 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Tomato onion masala, vegan if you want, and if not, use it as a base for a lot of curries.

https://holycowvegan.net/basic-tomat...quick-curries/

Old 04-07-2020, 01:29 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not a problem in my household. I eat onions like apples - raw.

Anyway - what you could do is carmelize/sautee (chopped, sliced, julienned) with sliced mushrooms and or with rainbow bell pepper, portion them in small zip bags and freeze. I have lots of those. Some with added garlic too. Use to my sauteed meat (roast, stews, burgers...), egg dishes (scrambled, omelets, quiche, etc), pizza, some deli sandwiches like roast beef, and all the dishes you would usually add sauteed onions. Plain chopped, carmelized onions are great with fried rice or noodles. You can also add them to some vegetables.
Caramelized onions make almost everything taste better
So you had a head start on social distancing?

Old 04-07-2020, 03:36 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Fermented onions are tasty, healthy, and long-lasting.

https://dobbernationloves.com/food-d...mented-onions/

Old 04-07-2020, 05:43 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
No one has mentioned onion jam - I usually buy this from Trader Joe's but I found a recipe that's pretty highly rated. It's so good smeared on a burger, or as a relish for a charcuterie board.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220546/onion-jam/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes