Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:09 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times

Advertisements

finally, i got around to preparing a $15.00 pot roast early this a.m. i got the thing for about half the original price---it is really "pretty"---tell i don't date much? baseballgal was my inspiration---and time constraints. seasoned, floured, and thoroughly browned roast in bacon grease. 14" black iron skillet. placed roast, 2 pkgs dry lipton onion soup mix, 9 cups water, 1 chopped leek, about 3 tblspns tomato paste, and 1/3 cup brandy (brandy was my departure.) 350 f oven, preheated. covered w/ extra heavy alumn foil. 1 hour @ 350 f, 2 hours @ 300 f, 2 hours in oven w/out heat. smells like home, when mother prepared meats for sunday dinner on saturday morning. brought back some wonderful memories---i got the same feeling that i have when i prepare boiled custard. my grandmother and her helper used to make 4 gallons at a time, in two large enamel dish pans, stirring constantly, while standing at the gas stove. actually, one of my jobs was to give "stir relief." i remember walking into the smell of vanilla in the kitchen before every thanksgiving and christmas holiday. it is wonderful how food and its smell can evoke such memories---smiles, tears, warm feelings and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
Here is a great pot roast, dry season the meat/veg however you like, then pour in a bottle of mild or med picante sauce (I prefer Pace), cover and cook in oven or crock. You would think it would be very spicy, but it's not.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
all these pot roast recipes sound so good. I wish I weren't going up north on Wed. to visit Mom; I'd make us a pot roast!

KC, they say that scent will trigger memories better than anything else.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:40 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Unless the cow was raised on cannabis ....
No good pot roast possible ....

Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Default pot roast

I've been receiving reps on this, so I thought I'd post the recipe I used...

2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 1/2 cups water
5- 7 lb. chuck roast
3 large potatoes, cut in half
3-4 large carrots, or equivalent in baby carrots

place roast in crock pot;
assemble vegetables on top of roast;
mix the soups & water, and pour on top;
I like well-done, moist meat, so I cook it on high for 7-8 hours.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
I've cooked many roasts with the mushroom/ onion soup and they are delicious. Thanks for posting.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:59 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
I've done this for many years but I double wrap in foil in a baking dish and slow cook in oven for 4-5 hrs.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I've done this for many years but I double wrap in foil in a baking dish and slow cook in oven for 4-5 hrs.
that sounds good, too! I like almost everything better if it's baked!

the way I'm familiar with it is how these were cooked when I was a child- browned, then boiled...
although I couldn't find a recipe for that method, the crockpot recipe is good- plus I never knew how that special "gravy" was made until I found instructions for mushroom & onion soups. it was a nice surprise!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:33 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,060 times
I just stumbled upon this discussion on pot roast recipes, now I want to try this recipe in the crock pot, I think that's a great idea too. I'm going to share mine here if you don't mine too because I use the onion soup mixture as well. It's actually my 86 year old mothers recipe & we absolutely love it, she's got us making it now for her instead of her making it for us! Use a Reynold's cooking bag, they're awesome actually once you get used to using them.

Use a Large size one (16"x17 1/2") for:
•Easy, everyday meals. For recipes serving up to 6.
•Recommended for foods up to 8 pounds such as chicken pieces, pork chops, beef strips, medium size roasts, and turkey breasts.

Good recipes on the Reynolds Oven Bag site for various other ideas too I just discovered:

Oven Bags for Turkey, Chicken, Beef, Pork and Fish Recipes

IN any case, here's the pot roast recipe in our family that we use all the time:

Use a roasting pan & put the "eye of the round" roast inside one of the Reynolds cooking bags. Add a handful of flour, rub it on the roast and pour a cup of water in the bag. Peel & cut up the potatoes & the carrots and add to the bag all around the sides of the roast.
Use as many as you want, or judge by how many people you're having. I had to add more the other day when we got a phone call, so that way it's great! Add an onion. Cut it in half and put one on each side with the veggies as it'll give it flavor. Also more importantly add the Lipton Onion Soup mixture on top of the roast as you're going along with cutting up the veggies. Tie off the bag then poke a few holes in the top of the bag before you put it in the oven.

Bake at 350 for 2 hours.

It's wonderful when it's done, you just have to slit the bag a little & take a good size spoon and pour the juice into a small bowl for using over each plate you serve. Sometimes if it's only the two of us, we have left overs so we cut up the roast and put the veggies & roast in an electric frying pan to heat up, it's even better the next day. I would say it's my favorite recipe, especially good for the winter months where we live in New England.

Last edited by CityGirl52; 03-13-2010 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM

141 posts, read 234,687 times
Default Your easiest, healthiest recipie for cooking your roast beef?

Share yours?

......so I can use them

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes