Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2022, 09:16 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,200,465 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a quality canner, that will last a very long time.

What brand/name of a Canner, would you all recommend?
What price should I be looking at? Where should I buy it?

If I get one that is stainless-steel, can I also use it as a pressure cooker, to use for beans & meat?
Should I get a pressure canner that is stainless-steel?

Can the canner be used for both, canning & to do water baths? For things like jams, jellies, etc.

Thanks in advance, for all of your help! Have a great Sunday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 12:23 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
There are two types of canning. Water bath and pressure canning. We've had two black canning pots for years and years. This is what they are-

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Includin...73926760&psc=1

You can get them cheaper used. Ours are over 40-50 years old. One was my dad's old canner.

For pressure canning we use an All-American brand canner. They are SPENDY. However they are really, really good. No seals to futz with, just wipe the rim with a little oil and screw it down and you're done. They come in all different sizes. Ours will do 7 quarts or 15-17 pints (I forget).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=all+ameri..._ts-doa-p_1_13

We used to have a Presto pressure canner and they are good, but ours had to have seals replaced every so often and my wife was quite nervous using it. She is not nervous at all with the All American. Thing is built like a bloody tank.

Foods high in acidity- tomatoes, pickles, most jams- they can be made with a water bath canner. Green beans, soups, meats, greens like collards or kale must be pressure canned. So depending on what you plan to harvest and 'put up' will dictate what you need. For many, many years we water bath canned things we could, and froze the rest- not pressure canning. It hasn't been until recently (5 years or so) that we really started pressure canning things. A lot of soups, pre-prepared meals like stews..

Edit- I suppose you could use the All American for water bath canning. Just don't screw down the lid- just place on top and rock and roll.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-25-2022 at 12:38 PM..

Old 09-25-2022, 01:38 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,200,465 times
Thumbs up Thank you for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
There are two types of canning. Water bath and pressure canning. We've had two black canning pots for years and years. This is what they are-

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Includin...73926760&psc=1

You can get them cheaper used. Ours are over 40-50 years old. One was my dad's old canner.

For pressure canning we use an All-American brand canner. They are SPENDY. However they are really, really good. No seals to futz with, just wipe the rim with a little oil and screw it down and you're done. They come in all different sizes. Ours will do 7 quarts or 15-17 pints (I forget).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=all+ameri..._ts-doa-p_1_13

We used to have a Presto pressure canner and they are good, but ours had to have seals replaced every so often and my wife was quite nervous using it. She is not nervous at all with the All American. Thing is built like a bloody tank.

Foods high in acidity- tomatoes, pickles, most jams- they can be made with a water bath canner. Green beans, soups, meats, greens like collards or kale must be pressure canned. So depending on what you plan to harvest and 'put up' will dictate what you need. For many, many years we water bath canned things we could, and froze the rest- not pressure canning. It hasn't been until recently (5 years or so) that we really started pressure canning things. A lot of soups, pre-prepared meals like stews..

Edit- I suppose you could use the All American for water bath canning. Just don't screw down the lid- just place on top and rock and roll.
Hello Threerun,

Thank you so much for this amazing post, with detailed information. I truly appreciate it
Awesome information! I wish I could give you several REPUTATION COOKIE POINTS!! I will catch you again as soon as possible.

I will be looking at the links & reading everything carefully. It is easier for me to just freeze everything, but my concern is with future power outages.
So, I need to catch up quickly

Once again, thank you so much for your post, help, advice!

Old 09-27-2022, 09:29 PM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
As Threerun mentioned, the All American is the Cadillac of pressure canners. Expensive, but they'll last forever with minimal maintenance.

I have a less expensive Presto 16-quart aluminum pressure canner with a weighted gauge, and an ancient enamel water bath canner. For small batches, I use my plain old Revere Ware 10-quart stock pot with a trivet at the bottom for a rack.

The pressure canner can be used to cook food. It also can double as a water bath canner - just don't seal the lid and make sure the jar size you use can be covered with an inch of water. My Presto, for instance, isn't tall enough to water bath quart jars. I'm reading, too, that a pressure canner can be used as a steam canner. I need to learn more about that - steam bath canning uses less water than a boiling water bath, and I'd be able to steam quart jars.

There are water bath canners that double as steam canners. They're generally made of stainless steel. The traditional water bath canner is a 21-quart enamel pot with a metal rack. They're the least expensive option other than using whatever stock pots you already have on hand - any pot can be used as a water bath canner as long as it's tall enough to cover the jars with an inch of water, has a lid, and has something on its bottom to keep the jars off the bottom of the pot (trivet, rack, dish towel, etc).

Old 10-04-2022, 08:49 PM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post

What brand/name of a Canner, would you all recommend?
What price should I be looking at? Where should I buy it?

If I get one that is stainless-steel, can I also use it as a pressure cooker, to use for beans & meat?
Should I get a pressure canner that is stainless-steel?

Can the canner be used for both, canning & to do water baths? For things like jams, jellies, etc.

Thanks in advance, for all of your help! Have a great Sunday!

I replied to your post Pressure Canner questions, where, what, purpose, PRICE, etc.? Where did you buy the 1 you have? Thanks in advance!, will copy it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I just happen to bring mine upstairs the other day, going to be cooking to can. I have the presto 23 quart pressure canner and cooker model 01782, when I google, it's coming up for $66 at Walmart out of stock. It does not have the gauge at the top, just the vent.

I posted to my facebook, a lot of my friends can. They said this model was fine for what I wanted to do, just can food. My MIL had cancer, I made soups and stews for her in quart jars. I wanted a big one that held a lot. We have a gas stove if that matters. Never heard some only used on certain stoves.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:03 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Question for anyone who can answer this.

My hub and I canned a few jars of pea with ham and bacon soup 2 weeks ago. He said he put the required 3 quarts of water in the pot, it barely covered the bottom. I have this Presto 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker.

While it was doing it's thing, all sorts of water was coming out of the vent lid. We eventually shut it off, it cooled down, I opened it up to find one container bottom had cracked off. About half of the water was gone. These were not cheapie mason jars either, they're ball.

I could have sworn the last time we canned that we had more water in the pot, I seem to remember the jars being covered with water.. My hub said he used what Presto said to use.

I'm going to be making beef stew today. I want to can some of it but am nervous I may lose another jar or two.

Curious if this has happened to anyone, or does it eventually happen to everyone, if so what did you do to fix it?

Old 11-07-2022, 01:33 PM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I have a smaller Presto, but it has a line on the inside of the pot that tells me how much water to add before securing the lid and beginning the pressurizing process. You don't want to cover the jars with water in pressure canning.

If water was coming out of the vent lid - I dunno. I'm kinda thinking perhaps either the seal wasn't right, or the pressure wasn't right. Was the lid secured correctly? Is the gasket in good shape? Does your canner have a weighted gauge or a dial gauge - were they working correctly? Was the canner maintaining pressure?

About the jar -- almost anything can cause a jar to break during processing, and that may or may not have had anything to do with the water spouting from the lid of the canner. The jar could have had a hairline crack, for instance.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes