Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 12:34 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times

Advertisements

I made my own chips for years when my kids were young.. In good quality oil but found a certain make of oven chips which are lovely and less fat... and now with an air fryer they turn out even nicer and quicker than the oven..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 04:34 PM

106 posts, read 63,446 times
It is possible that the problem lies in the very sunflower oil in which you fry your fries. For example, you take sunflower oil in Ukraine https://kaissaoil.com/en/ to fry fries in your cafe and at home. I have tried using this oil with different varieties of potatoes and have had no problems.

Old 08-20-2021, 05:31 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,373 times
Thank you all for the comments! So very helpful! Ok so I think, and hope, that the problem was simply keeping the potatoes in the fridge. I didn't know about the cold storage issue but I would keep them refrigerated sometimes up to 48 hours. I often would take them out then put them in freezer until water turns icy. Seems like that is what was releasing the starch. So far they've turned out perfect since I stopped doing this.

I cut potatoes with a slicer into fries then wash them very well. Then soak in water only while I wait for deep fryer to heat up to 300 degrees. Dry the fries thoroughly and into fryer for about 3 min. Remove onto a trey with wire wrack. I do put them into the freezer to bring their temp down while the fryer heats to 350 degrees. Soon as heated, fries go back in for about 3 min and they come out perfectly!! Crisp outside, soft inside. Not greasy or dark brown, just perfect!!

So no more storing overnight or longer in the fridge! Seems like that really was the issue. Maybe the fries were kept in cold storage while being shipped like mentioned(I'm in south FL) and then me putting them into the fridge again was just to much cold exposure. Well either way I'm really happy to be enjoying perfect homemade fries again! Thank you!

Old 08-20-2021, 08:10 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Thank you all for the comments! So very helpful! Ok so I think, and hope, that the problem was simply keeping the potatoes in the fridge. I didn't know about the cold storage issue but I would keep them refrigerated sometimes up to 48 hours. I often would take them out then put them in freezer until water turns icy. Seems like that is what was releasing the starch. So far they've turned out perfect since I stopped doing this.

I cut potatoes with a slicer into fries then wash them very well. Then soak in water only while I wait for deep fryer to heat up to 300 degrees. Dry the fries thoroughly and into fryer for about 3 min. Remove onto a trey with wire wrack. I do put them into the freezer to bring their temp down while the fryer heats to 350 degrees. Soon as heated, fries go back in for about 3 min and they come out perfectly!! Crisp outside, soft inside. Not greasy or dark brown, just perfect!!

So no more storing overnight or longer in the fridge! Seems like that really was the issue. Maybe the fries were kept in cold storage while being shipped like mentioned(I'm in south FL) and then me putting them into the fridge again was just to much cold exposure. Well either way I'm really happy to be enjoying perfect homemade fries again! Thank you!
Great! As you discovered, short term cold temps are much less of a problem than longer term, where the starch turns to sugars. Optimal storage is supposedly somewhat humid and around 50 (which is close to where some refrigerators are for PART of the time). In watching the thermometer in my fridge, I note that it can vary quite a bit from that, depending on outside temps, how often the door is opened, etc..

A bit of trivia on how I came across the knowledge - I'm a Vermont history buff. Many years ago Vermont was a major source of potatoes for the Boston market. In reading up on that I came across information on the storage requirements that kept them marketable. It was onerous enough back then that some farmers turned to making potato starch instead (think potato flakes), which were stored more easily and were less expensive to transport. The growing areas then shifted to Maine and Idaho for various reasons.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:44 AM

2,106 posts, read 980,135 times
I haven’t read all the comments , but I don’t think it matters what kind of potatoes are used , peel, cut ,rinse ,
,dry , deep fry once to cook the insides , take out drain , fry again to brown , plus used oil is the best , so save it, new oil needs to be used few times that’s why last batches turn out the best , but still need frying twice .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes