Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 07:54 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times

Advertisements

I love homemade fresh cut fries and been making them at home for many years. Ever since we moved from Ohio to Florida the fries sometimes won't turn out anymore. I have a deep fryer, russet potatoes and I soak them in water prior to frying. I have tried both putting fries in and cooking at 350 till done and double frying(blanching first). Each method works but then suddenly stops working and fries turn out limp, soggy, dark brown with a disgusting sweet flavor. I can't figure out why it happens at times but not always. I do the same routine and never had it happen once in Ohio.

It can turn out perfect one day and next day will be gross. Same batch of potatoes, same oil, same methods. Any ideas why? Only thought is climate differences?? Changes in weather, humidity.. seriously cannot think why else it would be great then terrible with nothing changed back to back days. I love making at home fries but get so frustrated when they turn out poorly but I literally did the same thing both times. I end up wasting potatoes. Any ideas why it changes like this back and forth??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 10:09 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Maybe the russet potatoes are not the same?
There are few varieties and the top varieties are russet Burbank, russet Norkotahs, russet Arcadia, Ranger Russet, Umatilla Russet, the Shepody, and russet Butte.

You might want to soak your precut raw potatoes in lightly salted water, in the fridge overnight. Soaking removes excess of the starch making them really nice and crispy when fried.
https://frugalinsa.com/fry/should-yo...re-frying.html

Old 08-03-2021, 10:24 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Refrigeration will turn fresh potatoes sweet. Potato storage is an issue in the south, both at home and commercially. If the potatoes were shipped a long distance in a truck that was too deeply refrigerated, the ones more exposed to the cold would get sweet, while the ones insulated by the outer mass might stay fine. Try buying them at a different supermarket chain. NEVER refrigerate a starch potato.

You might also try doing the cutting and first cook (blanch) immediately upon purchase, then freeze those for the second cook (which is in effect what the store bought frozen french fries are). Once blanched and flash frozen, they don't seem to turn sweet the same way. The dark brown is the sugar that has been caramelized.

Corn starch is commonly used to coat stuff being deep fried to add crispness, but I suspect you won't need it once the cold storage issue is resolved.

Old 08-03-2021, 02:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We used to do the same and while we never had that problem, I have been doing them lately in our Ninja Foodi using the air fryer feature. They just get soaked for an hour in water, drained, patted dry, tossed in vegetable oil first, and it's about 20 minutes at 400, stopping halfway to toss about. They have been delicious every time.

What you described to me sounds like old potatoes, when they start to get a bit wrinkly on the skin and soft.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:25 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Whenever I cut up potatoes and soak them in cold water and then fry them… They turn out awesome. Never had any problems.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:13 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
I live in FL too and my French fried potatoes come out fine. I par-boil them first to where there's resistance when I try to pierce them with a fork. I use a frying pan (not a deep fryer) with a low level of vegetable oil (not olive oil because it cooks too quickly) and I turn the potatoes as soon as one side browns. I take them out with a slotted spoon and then put them onto a paper towel to soak up excess grease. Crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside.

I've never used a deep fryer so there might be a whole other way of doing things with one. A frying pan has always been fine for me.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:11 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
I love homemade fresh cut fries and been making them at home for many years. Ever since we moved from Ohio to Florida the fries sometimes won't turn out anymore. I have a deep fryer, russet potatoes and I soak them in water prior to frying. I have tried both putting fries in and cooking at 350 till done and double frying(blanching first). Each method works but then suddenly stops working and fries turn out limp, soggy, dark brown with a disgusting sweet flavor. I can't figure out why it happens at times but not always. I do the same routine and never had it happen once in Ohio.

It can turn out perfect one day and next day will be gross. Same batch of potatoes, same oil, same methods. Any ideas why? Only thought is climate differences?? Changes in weather, humidity.. seriously cannot think why else it would be great then terrible with nothing changed back to back days. I love making at home fries but get so frustrated when they turn out poorly but I literally did the same thing both times. I end up wasting potatoes. Any ideas why it changes like this back and forth??
That is a sign your potatoes have been exposed to extreme cold. This may have happened where they were stored before you even bought them. Methinks in Florida, due to a radically different climate than in Ohio, the retailers may have to keep produce chilled to avoid spoilage during the summer months. Try buying the potatoes at a different shop, or talk to the grocer at your grocery store and see if they can shed some light on how the potatoes are stored before they are placed on the displays.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Refrigeration will turn fresh potatoes sweet. Potato storage is an issue in the south, both at home and commercially. If the potatoes were shipped a long distance in a truck that was too deeply refrigerated, the ones more exposed to the cold would get sweet, while the ones insulated by the outer mass might stay fine. Try buying them at a different supermarket chain. NEVER refrigerate a starch potato.
That's why I thought fries sucked when I lived in SC! I'm from NY and where I live we grow a ton of potatoes. Salt Potatoes are HUGE thing around here. I live in NY again and fries are great again. I don't even live in the same region of NY now.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
We use russets and cut them into french fries in the AM and soak them.

We place them into a pot of boiling water for 10-15 minutes.

We strain off the water.

Then we spread the bottom of a sheet pan with avocado oil and pan fry the french fries in a 400 F oven for 20 minutes. We flip the french fries and cook for an additional 20 minutes.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:02 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
My husband makes his own. Peels, slices, then parboils them for a small amount of time, maybe 10 minutes, to soften them up a bit. Then, bakes them on a cookie sheet which has been oiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes