Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times

Advertisements

LOL the Christams thread has me psyched about pie now... I love pie and what I love even better than just PIE is EZ to make Pie....and I posted my fav Toll House Pie on there... I will post it here... it is so yummy...

Cooks.com - Recipe - Toll House Pie

AND this one... It is a toss up... (took a while to find it on the net)
http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/recipes04/a40226g.htm

What is one of your FAVORITE PIES? (if you have the recipe or link that wouldn't be bad either )

Last edited by skbs; 08-05-2008 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 04:57 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
OK ya found me again. By the time I get through this thread I should be able to lay down and roll to work. Well at least to the end of the street.

Now I guess I had better get off my glutals and find the chocolate pecan pie doings. Got to have one soon with a pint of real whipped cream on it.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:04 PM

Here is another one... Grasshopper Pie... so minty and delicious...

Frozen Grasshopper Pie recipe at Kraftfoods.com

Now I just have to find the Peanut Butter one

Found it...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes...irl-54143.aspx

Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
try mixing soy flour with wheat flour when making a crust.
ALWAYS use butter.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:10 PM

424 posts, read 1,676,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
try mixing soy flour with wheat flour when making a crust.
ALWAYS use butter.
Or use lard.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
Or use lard.
or, in my case, PILLSBURY lol

Old 08-05-2008, 06:33 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Ah, truly a thread after my own heart! I have absolutely no pretensions to culinary glory, but if I do say so myself, I make a darn good pie. And I don't wait for the holidays to make 'em, either; blueberries, cherries and apples all make very tasty pies in the summer and fall.

When I first met my spouse's parents many decades ago, I could tell they had reservations about me. After all, he was the eldest son, and they were none too sure of the hippy-looking girl he brought home to meet Mom and Dad. However, I won over my future father-in-law that first autumn, when I brought pies over to my then-boyfriend's parents before going home for Thanksgiving.

Clarence immediately got out the knife, pie server and a plate and fork, and dished himself up a slice of pie. He polished it off in about as much time as it takes to sneeze three times, looked up at me and said, "You know, I can't tell if that pie is any good or not. I need another piece." He served himself up a second piece, inhaled it about as quickly as the first, looked at me and said "I'm sorry, but I still can't tell whether or not that pie is any good. I need another piece to make a definitive judgment." After the third piece of pie, he finally heaved a big sigh, scraped up the last of the apple filling smeared on the plate and announced "Yep, that's a pretty good pie."

From that moment on, he made it plain that he'd be just delighted if we made the relationship permanent, though I'd like to think that there was something else besides just my pies that led him to conclude that. However, as long as he was alive, I made twice as many pies for every occasion as I otherwise would have; I knew that I'd need one for the rest of the family and one for Clarence.

Our son has taken on his late grandfather's responsibility, and now performs the obligatory "I can't tell if that pie is any good" ritual every time I bake. And I have no doubt but that the tradition will perpetuate itself for generations to come!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:54 PM

424 posts, read 1,676,467 times
Default Some pies I like

I also love pie. Here are a few I make:

Pies, Cobblers, Crisps, and Crusts 031 (Buttermilk Pie 01)

1½ cups sugar
½ cup buttermilk
3 eggs
½ cup butter, melted
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pie shell

1. Mix all ingredients thoroughly by hand and pour into pie shell.
2. Place pie in the lower section of the oven on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.

|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+ |+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|

Pies, Cobblers, Crisps, and Crusts 015 (Apple Pie 05 - Apple Roquefort Bacon Pie)

"This unusual apple pie from Ron Silver and Jen Bervin's 'Bubby's Homemade Pies' produces a succulent savory-sweet dessert. If the idea of Roquefort cheese in a pie makes you think twice, substitute Cheddar, a more common ingredient for pies such as this."

pastry for a 12-inch double-crust pie, chilled
4 ounces thick-cut hickory-smoked bacon, diced
2 to 2¼ pounds apples
2 tablespoons honey, plus extra for drizzling over the crust
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces Roquefort cheese

1. Roll out the pastry and line a 12-inch pie plate with the bottom crust. Roll out the remaining dough for the top crust, and then refrigerate both until needed.
2. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the bacon until crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain, leaving about 3 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet.
4. Peel, core and slice the apples into ¼-inch-thick slices. Add the apples to the skillet and sauté in the bacon fat over low heat for several minutes, or until the outer layer of apple softens a bit.
5. Add the honey, flour, lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper to the skillet and stir. Stir in the bacon.
6. Transfer the apple mixture into the prepared pie pan. Crumble the cheese over the apples, and then cover it with the second crust. Trim and crimp the crust, then chill the pie in the freezer for 10 minutes.
7. Cut several small vent slits in the top crust, then drizzle the top with honey.
8. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the crust is just blistered and blonde.
9. Reduce the oven down to 350°F and bake for at least 30 minutes more, or until the crust is golden brown and visible juices are thickened and bubble slowly through the slits in the top crust. This could take up to an hour.
10. Test the apples for doneness by poking a wooden skewer down through the open vent slits of the top crust. The apples should yield to the skewer with slight resistance, but not be mushy.
11. Cool the pie completely before cutting, at least several hours. Store the pie covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat the pie in a 325°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes before serving.

Recipe from: Ron Silver and Jen Bervin's "Bubby's Homemade Pies," (Wiley, 2007)

Pies, Cobblers, Crisps, and Crusts 105 (Grapefruit Chess Pie)

1 (15-inch) refrigerated piecrust
1½ cups sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
¼ cup milk
2 teaspoons grated grapefruit rind
1/3 cup fresh grapefruit juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 eggs, lightly beaten
sweetened whipped cream, grapefruit rind, lime rind, and lime pieces, if desired for garnishes

1. Unfold piecrusts; stack piecrusts on a lightly floured surface. Roll into one 12-inch circle. Fit piecrusts into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp.
2. Bake piecrust at 450ºF for 8 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
3. Whisk together sugar and next 9 ingredients until blended. Pour into piecrust.
4. Bake at 350ºF for 40 to 45 minutes or until center is set, shielding edges of crust with aluminum foil after 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish, if desired.

Yields 1 (9-inch) pie

Pies, Cobblers, Crisps, and Crusts 264 (Rum Pie 04 - Christiana Campbell's Tavern Rum Cream Pie)

Crumb crust (see recipe below)
½ cup dark rum
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1½ cups whipping cream
5 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
unsweetened chocolate (for garnish/topping)

Prepare a crumb crust (below). Soften the gelatin in ½ cup of cold water. Place over low heat and bring almost to a boil, stirring to dissolve. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until very light. Stir the gelatin into the egg mixture. Cool. Gradually add the rum, beating constantly. Whip the cream until it stands in soft peaks and fold it into gelatin mixture. Cool until the mixture begins to set, then spoon it into the crumb crust and chill until firm enough to cut. Grate the unsweetened chocolate over the top before serving.

Crumb Crust:
2¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup butter, melted
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Combine the ingredients and press into a 9-inch pie pan. Chill.
Yields one 9-inch pie

Old 08-05-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Ah, truly a thread after my own heart! I have absolutely no pretensions to culinary glory, but if I do say so myself, I make a darn good pie. And I don't wait for the holidays to make 'em, either; blueberries, cherries and apples all make very tasty pies in the summer and fall.

When I first met my spouse's parents many decades ago, I could tell they had reservations about me. After all, he was the eldest son, and they were none too sure of the hippy-looking girl he brought home to meet Mom and Dad. However, I won over my future father-in-law that first autumn, when I brought pies over to my then-boyfriend's parents before going home for Thanksgiving.

Clarence immediately got out the knife, pie server and a plate and fork, and dished himself up a slice of pie. He polished it off in about as much time as it takes to sneeze three times, looked up at me and said, "You know, I can't tell if that pie is any good or not. I need another piece." He served himself up a second piece, inhaled it about as quickly as the first, looked at me and said "I'm sorry, but I still can't tell whether or not that pie is any good. I need another piece to make a definitive judgment." After the third piece of pie, he finally heaved a big sigh, scraped up the last of the apple filling smeared on the plate and announced "Yep, that's a pretty good pie."

From that moment on, he made it plain that he'd be just delighted if we made the relationship permanent, though I'd like to think that there was something else besides just my pies that led him to conclude that. However, as long as he was alive, I made twice as many pies for every occasion as I otherwise would have; I knew that I'd need one for the rest of the family and one for Clarence.

Our son has taken on his late grandfather's responsibility, and now performs the obligatory "I can't tell if that pie is any good" ritual every time I bake. And I have no doubt but that the tradition will perpetuate itself for generations to come!
sweet story... thanks for sharing that... isn't it great how we have traditions that grow out of food? LOL

Buckhead... I Might, now I said MIGHT try one of those... I really am a fan of Pillsbury... cuts my time and my crust always comes out all wrong... but I might...

Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
Or use lard.
I was not aware that people made pie crust any other way!

My favorite pies include pumpkin, rhubarb, apple, blackberry, peach and mincemeat and lemon meringue...all homemade of course, including the mincemeat.

With the exception of lemon meringue not a big fan of custard or chocolate based pies. Pecan pie can be good, however some of it can be cloyingly sweet.

Last edited by seattlerain; 08-05-2008 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: added blackberry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes