Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 03:34 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times

Advertisements

Today I am making one of my favorite cakes and it made me think of this new thread. I'll tell you how to make the cake I am making now.

Get a chocolate cake mix, I prefer Duncan Hines. It can be dark or light chocolate. Bake the cake according to direction is a cake pan, I think it is 9'x13". When done sit it on the counter to cool. As soon as it comes out of the oven put holes all through the top 1/2 of the cake. I like to use a new pencil top, eraser end. While hot pour a can of condensed milk all over the top (not evaporated) and spread evenly. Next pour a whole jar of Smucker caramel ice cream topping and spread evenly. Leave cake alone and let cool all the way. Then frost the whole top of the cake generously with Cool Whip whipped cream. Crush with a rolling pen 2 Heath candy bars in a sandwhich bag and sprinkle over the whipped cream and serve. This is so rich, but so good! It is a refrigerator cake so keep in the fridge after eating some, if there is any left!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 09:49 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times
My favorite cake is a from scratch. So good! I LOVE frosting so I always double the frosting and lay it on thick.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Moist Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts-Cakes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup hot coffee
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Favorite Icing:
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter -- softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Sift together all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add oil, coffee and milk; mix at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; beat 2 more minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. cake pans (or two 8-in. cake pans and six muffin cups). Bake at 325' for 25-30 minutes. Meanwhile, for icing, combine the milk and flour in a saucepan; cook until thick. Cover and refrigerate. In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add chilled milk/flour mixture and beat for 10 minutes. Frost cooled cake.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
I made this chocolate glazed tart last week that was awesome, if you like dark chocolate you will love this recipe.

I was glad I got to taste it because when I got home from work the next day my wife, daughter and son ate all but a small bite lol.

busta

Chocolate-Glazed Chocolate Tart: 2000s Recipes + Menus : gourmet.com

Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Gooey Butter Cake

I have made every flavor imaginable, using this basic recipe. I'll give you some of my recommendations but by all means experiment and have fun creating your very own version. The original recipe my sister found somewhere - Gooey Butter Cakes were a St Louis specialty we all loved - and some of the variations are variations of some recipes I found on websites. I have no idea who or where they came from anymore, but it's a lot of fun to mix and match flavors and fillings. I've been thinking about how to make a pecan pie version, but haven't done it yet.

Cake
1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
1 egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened and warm, but not melted.
Filling
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2.In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, egg, and butter
and mix well. Pat into the bottom of prepared pan, including a bit up the sides for a crust, and set aside.
3.Still using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth; add eggs
and vanilla. Dump in confectioners' sugar and beat well. Reduce speed of mixer and slowly pour in butter. Mix well.
4.Pour filling onto cake mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40 to 50
minutes. Don't be afraid to make a judgment call on the cooking time, because oven temperatures can vary. You want the center to be a little gooey, so don't bake it past that point!
5.Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares. Just remember that these wonderful little cakes are very, very rich, and a little will go a long way.

Other variations:

Pumpkin Gooey: This variation has to be at the top of my list, especially around Thanksgiving. For the cake part, I use a spice cake mix. I have also used a chocolate cake mix, but I think my favorite is the spice cake mix. Follow the original recipe, adding a 15-ounce can of pumpkin pie filling and an extra egg to the cream cheese filling.
Bake as usual, remove from oven, and allow to cool. Cut into squares and top each square with a pecan half. Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. I promise you'll never want pumpkin pie again!

Pineapple Gooey: Add a 20-ounce can of drained crushed pineapple and an extra egg to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

Lemon Gooey: Use a lemon cake mix in place of the yellow cake. Add the juice (approximately 1/4 cup) and zest of 2 lemons to the cream cheese filling. Proceed: as directed above.

Carrot Cake Gooey: Use a spice cake mix, and add 1 cup chopped nuts and 1 1/2 cup finely grated carrots to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

Peanut Butter Gooey: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter and an extra egg to cream cheese filling. You can sprinkle the top of batter with 1 cup chopped peanuts if you like. Proceed as directed above. Not really a favorite, but some people do like peanut butter, and this is definitely better than cookies.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,170 times
They all sounds great. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but my hubby loves chocolate. I think I'll make the Chocolate-glazed chocolate tart. It looks easy and so rich. I'm thinking of making them in small graham cracker tartlet shells, so I can share with my neighbor. We have three teenagers, but they are not much for sweets either. They may have a piece of whatever I bake, but I always end up throwing away the left overs after a few days. Give them chips and salsa, though, they will be fighting over them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes