Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 04:34 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,476 times

Advertisements

I am going to make my first apple pie from scratch! I want to do a trial run before I make it for thanksgiving. I've done some poking around the internet but wanted to see if anyone has any easy recipe they can recommend for me!
Baking is not one of my strong points.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:03 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Start with a double crust, peel apples, core and slice, layer them in the crust. Sprinkle each layer with a mixture of flour, sugar, and cinnamon - about twice as much flour as sugar, enough cinnamon to color it. Stack the slices as high as possible, cover with the top crust, used a fork to seal the edges, slash the crust so the steam can escape, sprinkle more sugar and cinnamon on the top drust, and bake about 375 for 30-45 minutes, depending on how big the pie is and how hot your oven gets. Works just as well for big deep dish pies [like a rectangular 9x11 pan] too, only they take longer to bake.

You don't really need to peel the apples, it's a personal preference. Red apples tend to be juicier than the green ones, like Granny Smith, so they take a bit more flour. You can also add raisins, dried cranberries, walnuts, or pecans.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
First, do a quick read of a few online or book recipes. For such a basic item, there are a surprising number of variations.

Buy a decent pie pan. I like the 'deep dish' kind. Don't even think about using foil

Weather you're making your own crust or buying the refrigerated stuff, allow yourself enough time to work with it. Tip on the refrigerated crust - it says drop it into the pan, nu-uh, it's too thick. Roll it out just a little. When you're rolling out the dough for the bottom crust, keep the top crust in the refrig.

Most recipes call for about 6 large apples. I made an apple pie last week and in the middle of filling the shell I decided that it didn't look like quite enough, so I peeled, sliced another and threw it in.

Choose a nice apple. Baking with Apples - Allrecipes My grandmother always used Macintosh, but they can get mushy like the pie I made last week which turned out more like applesauce pie.

Think about how you want the filling to taste. I always use less sugar than called for. I like my pies tart and fruity. Spice options are cinnamon (OK, not an option) nutmeg, allspice, ginger, cloves. I don't like cloves in my pie and usually don't use the ginger. Might use a pinch of allspice if I have it.

Here we go! Buy everything that you need. Sounds simple, bummer if you forget one thing.

Make the crust. Wrap it up and put in refrigerator.

Do all of the filling stuff and set it aside.

Roll out your bottom crust and put it in the pan. Do not stretch it out! You should put it into the pan in an easy, slack kind of way. Were not looking for ripples, but don't stretch areas to fit.

Put the filling in the crust. Some people put little lumps of butter on that. Roll the top crust. Just before I drop it on, I moisten the edge of the bottom crust, right around the rim of the pan with water so that the top and bottom crusts stick when you press them together. Cut some steam vents in the crust. It could be little holes or the outline of a sailboat; it's up to you.

Breathe a huge sigh of relief if you've gotten this far If you haven't already, you should be preheating the oven.

Last thing. You can stop at that point or do a little something to the top crust: brush with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar, egg wash which is a yolk mixed with a tablespoon of milk and brushed on.

Let it cool long enough before cutting or you'll end up with something that looks like pie soup.

I know that you asked for a recipe, but there are a lot of them. I've been baking for quite a while so I only use most pie recipes as a guideline. Come up with a decent crust, use quality filling and don't let it burn.

It'll be the best pie in the whole world because you made it!

If you're worried about technique, I'm sure that you can find something on youtube.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:52 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
I peel and slice my apples, then throw in sugar about 1/2-3/4 cup (I only use Granny Smith apples which are tart so I use enough sugar so my pie isn't too tart), along with about 1/4 cup flour. I throw in my spices (cinnamon and nutmeg). I then gently fold all of it together using a big wooden spoon. Then I dump it into the pie shell. I put a few pats of butter over th apple mixture.

You can either cover it with another unbaked pie crust (doing the egg wash and sugar like Karibear stated) or you can make a crumb topping instead. My family prefers the crumb topping. If you need the recipe for crumb topping, DM me and I'll send it to you. It is very simple.

Also remember, apples cook down, so always overfill your pie. Make sure you slice your apples thin--quicker baking time. My pies look like the pies you saw on the old Fred Flinstones cartoon before I put them in the oven!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:54 AM

456 posts, read 1,576,476 times
Thank you guys!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 AM

877 posts, read 2,076,603 times
Mix 2 1/4 flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl, cut in 2/3 c shortening, preferably with a pastry cutter, but a fork works too. You're looking for pea-sized clumps. Mix in 1 Tbsp cold water at a time (usually 8-10 Tbsp) until everything is sticky, but not watery. Roll it into two balls, put it in the fridge.

Slice up 2-3 lbs of apples (I like Fuji apples, not too sweet and not too tart). Throw them in a bowl with lemon juice (prevents browning). Mix 1/4-1/2c sugar (I'd say start with 1/3c and decide later if you want more or less sugar), a shake of nutmeg, 1/2 tsp cinnamin, 2 Tbsp flour, and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Combine apples with the sugar mix.

Roll out half of the crust to about 12" diameter on a floured surface. Roll the crust onto your rolling pin and carefully transfer it to your pie plate. Make sure to patch any holes in the bottom crust, water is a great glue here. Fill with apple mixture. Should be "heaping". Roll out the other half, use your rolling pin to transfer to top your pie.

Cut some holes for steam, trim and crimp the edges (pressing a fork along the edge works), brush the top with milk and sprinkle some sugar on the milk.

Cover the edge of the crust with foil, either with strips or a square with a ~7" hole cut in the middle.

Bake at 350 'F for 40 minutes, remove foil, bake another 20 minutes.

Let the cake cool before cutting. While it is great warm, you need to let the filling set up a bit, so it doesn't run when you cut slices.

Oh, and make sure to put some foil on the bottom rack beneath the pan. Pies drip and the sugar is a pain to clean.

Best of luck!

Old 11-14-2008, 01:09 PM

849 posts, read 1,952,172 times
I don't know if this is the easiest, but sure is good. The best part is Ree shows you step by step with beautiful pictures. I've made this pie and it was a huge hit. Take a look.

The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Ree Drummond

Old 11-14-2008, 01:54 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Oh, wow...now I can't wait to make my pie for T'giving. I just might have to have a test run (even tho I've made quite a few by now!)

Old 11-14-2008, 03:51 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
I don't know if this is the easiest, but sure is good. The best part is Ree shows you step by step with beautiful pictures. I've made this pie and it was a huge hit. Take a look.

WOW...does that ever look good!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post

Beautiful pie and very nice illustrations with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes