Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times

Advertisements

Since we seem to be a culturally diverse group of people on here does anyone have any good Irish recipes? My son's second grade class is going to be studying St Patricks day, his teacher has asked me to cook something so the kids can get an idea of the food in Ireland. My suggestion was some Irish Whiskey but alas they are kids so that was out. I posted on the recipe forum but only one reply so just looking for some ideas. They can be rather picky eaters so I would like something they would all be willing to at least try once. I thought either potatoe cakes or maybe Irish Soda Bread, any ideas would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 04:38 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,468 times
I think the potato cakes you might be thinking of are called boxty. It's grated potatoes ( really finely grated ), mashed potatoes, a little flour, baking soda and a little buttermilk. I'd use Yukon gold potatoes as they are the closest in consistency to Irish potatoes. They won't keep very well and get a little rubbery when cold.
Soda bread would probably transport better. Here's a link with a couple of recipes. The one for White Soda Bread is very similar to what my mom makes.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
I think the potato cakes you might be thinking of are called boxty. It's grated potatoes ( really finely grated ), mashed potatoes, a little flour, baking soda and a little buttermilk. I'd use Yukon gold potatoes as they are the closest in consistency to Irish potatoes. They won't keep very well and get a little rubbery when cold.
Soda bread would probably transport better. Here's a link with a couple of recipes. The one for White Soda Bread is very similar to what my mom makes.

Thanks for the reply but am I missing the link? You are right the potato cakes are called boxty.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:23 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Default Irish Soda Bread

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2/3 cup of buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 8 inch skillet and set in oven.
In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a separate bowl, combine milk, beaten egg and butter.
Stir into dry ingredients to blend. Turn on a floured surface and knead for a minute until the dough is smooth. Shape into a round loaf and and place into heated pan.
With a sharp, floured knife, score a deep X across the top of the loaf. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake about 30 minutes or until browned.
Makes 1 loaf.
Note: Bread can be made with 2 cups of all-purpose flour, omitting whole wheat flour.
An 8 inch cake pan can be used instead of a skillet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees but do not preheat pan.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 PM

White Soda Bread
4 cups (16 oz) of all purpose flour.
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
14 oz of buttermilk

Method:
Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly crease and flour a cake pan.
In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry ingredients.
Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape)
Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.
Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.
Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.
The other posted recipe with sugar, salt, butter....not traditional at all.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
White Soda Bread
4 cups (16 oz) of all purpose flour.
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
14 oz of buttermilk

Method:
Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly crease and flour a cake pan.
In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry ingredients.
Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape)
Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.
Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.
Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.
The other posted recipe with sugar, salt, butter....not traditional at all.

thanks for the recipe is it served with any kinda of jam or anything like that?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2/3 cup of buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 8 inch skillet and set in oven.
In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a separate bowl, combine milk, beaten egg and butter.
Stir into dry ingredients to blend. Turn on a floured surface and knead for a minute until the dough is smooth. Shape into a round loaf and and place into heated pan.
With a sharp, floured knife, score a deep X across the top of the loaf. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake about 30 minutes or until browned.
Makes 1 loaf.
Note: Bread can be made with 2 cups of all-purpose flour, omitting whole wheat flour.
An 8 inch cake pan can be used instead of a skillet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees but do not preheat pan.
Thanks for the recipe I appreciate it.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 PM

It can be served toasted plain or with butter. My mom always made it to go along with lamb stew or shepherd's pie. It dries out pretty quickly and when that happened, toasted with butter is really the only way to eat it.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Adding sugar, baking powder and butter makes the luxury version. If you don't have buttermilk handy add a tsp. of Cream of Tarter to activate the baking soda. This recipe will also make really good biscuits.

Serve with butter, jelly, honey, maple syrup etc.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,161 times
When I was in Ireland my friend Maria's mother never minded that we would show up around tea-time, starving teenagers, and she would feed us Treacle Bread with Irish butter...yum. She cooked with a peat-burning stove. I finally had to ask what treacle was, because this bread is so delicious. It's molasses. The bread she made was really dark- like a pumpernickel color, so I don't know if she added cocoa powder to it to get it that brown.

This is a cool site with alot of Irish soda-type bread recipes. The Treacle Bread recipe is on this site.
Soda bread as it's really made in Ireland: Peter's Mum's Soda Bread Recipe (with video tutorials) | European Cuisines

"Treacle bread":
2 tablespoons dark molasses
7 fl oz milk (approximately)
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 lb flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Good pinch of ground ginger
Heat the molasses and milk together. Mix all dry ingredients together: add liquid until a soft dough is achieved. With floured hands, shape into a round cake about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut into farls, put on a floured baking sheet and bake at 400° F for 40 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes