Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,901 times

Advertisements

Hi all- I am doing some programming with my local food pantries, where by I bring a new food (prepared) and printed recipes each week to the pantry so that the clients can try it there, and then (hopefully) at home, too. I use foods from the pantry itself, and try to buy very few other ingredients, and the ones that I do add are inexpensive (low emphasis on meats or prepared ingredients).

I am participating in a very busy night next week (a special program at the pantry), and will likely serve over 150 people. I have decided to do a "Rice- 4 Ways!" theme, and would love any (easy, cheap) recipes you have that use regular rice- stir-frys, soups, desserts- anything that might be good to get people to use more rice (it's free from the pantry!). (ANd in particular, if anyone has a recipe for pinapple rice with ham, I personally would appreciate that!). Again, no really exotic or expensive ingredients- the cheaper and easier the better..

Oh- I will likely be using a crock pot, and electric griddle, and set up on a table in the middle of a parking lot, so hot dishes are fine, as long as I don't need an oven to cook them in!

Any help/ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:58 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
jambalaya or rissoto come to mind.

you could also do a "chicken in rice" type of dish in the crockpot.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:07 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Hmm, mostly rice, no exotic or expensive ingredients - how about this rice pudding recipe?

1 1/2 C rice
6 C low-fat milk
1/2 C raisins
1 can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated)
1 can fruit cocktail
1 bag toasted slivered almonds (can be omitted)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Scald the milk. Add rice and simmer on low heat until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add the raisins with the rice if they seem on the dry side, otherwise you can toss them in the last few minutes of cooking to "plump" them up. Remove from heat and stir in the condensed milk, then the fruit, nuts - if using, and vanilla extract.

You can pour this into one big serving bowl, or individual serving dishes, and if desired you can sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar. As it cools the rice continues to absorb the moisture, so it will thicken. The entire family loves this dish and we have never had to throw any out.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:15 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
How about my fave Cuban rice dish Moros y Cristianos?

1 1/2 C dried black beans
1/4 C olive oil for sautéing
2 1/2 C white onion, diced
2 1/2 C green peppers, seeded and diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
3 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 bay leaf
3 Tbsp white vinegar
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 1/2 C chicken stock
3 C long-grain white rice

Cover the dry beans with about four cups water in a two-quart saucepan. DON’T add any salt yet! Bring to a boil, and boil for three minutes. Remove from the heat and let it stand, covered for one hour.

Drain and rinse the beans. Add enough water to cover once again and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and cook until tender, about 40 to 50 minutes. Drain.

Rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear. Use a large, eight-quart covered stockpot. Sauté the onion and green pepper in the olive oil until tender. Add the garlic, and sauté another minute or two. Add the tomato paste, black beans, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, and vinegar. Cook for about five minutes, stirring gently.

Add the chicken stock and the rinsed rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and for about 20-30 minutes, or until rice is fully cooked. Finally, adjust the seasonings by adding salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaf. Serve Hot.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:48 AM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
I'm not a cook. I'm mainly an eater.

I'm not a rice expert and don't have any recipes for you, but I'd like to suggest or ask your opinion on a type of rice.

My favorite rice is Jasmine rice. Throw in some roasted almond slivers, maybe some chicken...

This rice is so good, it's practically a meal in itself. I can cook it, if that tells you anything.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:56 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
Maybe this will work for you - I tried to reincarnate a recipe that used to be available at the Marshall Field's deli in Chicago:

It's my own made up recipe:
1 box packaged yellow or spanish rice
2 Grilled (preferable - can be packaged/grilled for convenience) or boiled chicken breasts, cut up in cubes
stewed tomatoes
sliced black olives - amount to taste
cut up cilantro to taste

Just cook up the rice per the recipe on the box, add 1 can of stewed chopped tomatoes while cooking the rice. Once it is done, add the sliced up chicken. Cool the rice mix off. (you can do the rice mix at home before you come)
Once the dish is cooled and refrigerated, add the sliced black olives (amount to your own taste) and the cilantro (per your taste). I serve it cold.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,616 times
Beans and Rice Plus

Large can of diced tomatoes
One can of kidney beans
1 large Onion
2 or 3 stalks of celery
1 lb of ground meat (turkey, beef,chicken) could be left out if necessary
Chili Powder, Cilantro or whatever you like to taste.

Sautee onions and celery in oil or margarine.
Add meat to brown
Stir in Tomatoes and beans

Simmer a few minutes to merry the flavors If you brown the beef ahead, you could do this in a crock) Serve over rice.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:06 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
This is off the top of my head, but I think it's right. I use regular rice, not Uncle Ben's or Minute Rice; I'm assuming if you get it from a food pantry that's what you're using, too.

2T butter/margarine/oil
1C rice
1/2 onion, diced
1 C orange juice
1C chicken broth
1/4 C raisins
Salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan with a lid; add rice and onion and stir until slightly browned. Add orange juice, broth, and raisins; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer 12-15 minutes, or until rice fluffs easily with a fork and the liquid has been absorbed. Salt and pepper to taste.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:33 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,116 times
Chinese Fried Rice - Homestyle

2 cups of cooked/chilled rice (any kind but I like Jasmine)
2 or 3 eggs
soy sauce (light, dark, seafood - any kind will do)
any kind of meat - as much as you want - sausage is easiest IMO
cut up veggies or frozen mixed veggies (any kind you want - I usually just use frozen mixed veggies, whatever's on sale)
Oil - whatever you've got

Chilled rice from overnight is best. Wet your hands and then "separate" the rice so it's not bunched up too much when you stick it in the pan. Turn on stove to about medium high. Put some oil in the pan. Beat the eggs like you're going to make scrambled eggs. When the pan is heated, put in meat and cook it until it's brown. Stick eggs in. When eggs are about 75% cooked, stick veggies in. Wait a minute. Stick rice in. Use a flat wooden spoon to mix everything up. Some people like to add salt and pepper but I don't because I think the soy sauce has enough flavor. When everything looks cooked, voila, enjoy!! It's REALLY easy to make!

Old 07-20-2007, 08:15 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
For a super easy and dirt cheap rice recipe just add a packet of soup mix to the cooking rice to add flavor. I lived on this for a while in my twenties when times were a bit spartan for me. A homeless hobo camp type of person showed me that one. Here is one my wife came up with; 1 cup uncooked rice, 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 cups water, and one can of cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup. If making a double recipe use one of both. Cook it all together until done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes