Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 01:30 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,915,505 times

Advertisements

When I still went to family holiday meals, they always wanted me to bring rolls.

When I go to parties, everyone asks for chocolate dipped strawberries. As long as it's strawberry season, they're easy to make and cheap and look impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 04:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,618,202 times
My oatmeal raisin pecan cookies. It's gotten to the point that when i bake a batch for the office, there are certain clients we have to call so they can drop by for cookies.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:08 AM

43,758 posts, read 44,531,359 times
I don't really have a signature dish. Occasionally I am asked to make an orange cake that I used to bake once a week from scratch as a teenager.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:04 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,090,084 times
One of my seafood dishes is "Lobster Diablo", using spiny lobster. I also make a crab meat version as a stuffing, leaving out the cheese.

With this recipe you can adjust the ingredients to your taste. Although I'm going to give amounts, I really just "eyeball" it. Feel free to adjust away to make it your own. This recipe was originally developed using Florida/Caribbean spiny lobster tails, but I'm sure Maine lobster tails would work fine.

4 Previously frozen lobster tails, meat removed and shells saved and cut into 1/2" chunks
1 Medium sweet onion, 1/4" dice
1-1/2 cups bell peppers, 1/4" dice. I prefer to use a combo of red, yellow and orange. but you can use all of one or whatever combo you want. No green please.
1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
1 tsp Colemans dry mustard
1/2 tsp Cayenne (this is a minimum, adjust to your liking)
1/2 stick of unsalted butter
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/8 cup freshly grated parmesan
Splash of dry white wine, vermouth or dry sherry
salt and pepper to taste

To remove meat from shells, use a pair of cooking shears to cut the membrane on the underside of the tail, along the swimmerette line, on both sides. Do this from open end to the tail fin, then cut the membrane off at the tail fin. From the open end you should be able to slip a finger between the meat and shell to pop the meat out. Set the shells aside as you will be stuffing the diablo mixture into them.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Melt 4 Tbsp butter in skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until softened. Add garlic and saute until fragrent. Salt and pepper to taste. Add lobster meat, mustard and cayenne. Saute until lobster meat is opaque. Add bread crumbs and mix into lobster mixture. Add wine. The mixture should be moist, without excess liquid in the pan. If too dry add more wine. If too moist add more bread crumbs. Remove from heat. Using a spoon, stuff mixture into reserved shells and bake on a cookie sheet until golden brown on top. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top. Place back in oven until cheese melts. Serve immediately and enjoy.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Of course, like most of us here, I love to cook and yes, I do have a few dishes people like me to make and bring to dinners:
1-blue cheese dressing
2-sweet potato casserole Not the one with the pineapple and topping that used to be so popular.
3-stuffed mushrooms
4-at the top but do not take to pot lucks of course is: split pea soup

I think everyone, regardless of how much they enjoy cooking or how little they know about cooking does one thing a little better than others.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:59 AM

12,064 posts, read 8,467,139 times
I'm not sure. Of main dishes there are maybe ten I do very well but everyone who knows me would probably have a different favorite.

My recipe box is heavy on good salad recipes.

If I were to name one dish I can do well that is something no one else I know makes it would be my mother's recipe for pheasant with cream gravy.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:11 AM

2,362 posts, read 621,472 times
It used to be my chicken enchilada's but these day's its Olive Garden's Copy Cat recipe of Zuppa Toscano - took it to church and everyone asked for the recipe. It is always gone when I take it anywhere - hardly a spoonful left at the end of the event.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:18 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,937,484 times
Potato Salad, without a doubt. I learned how to make it when I was in fifth grade and I use the same recipe today. I make it often. Also, my son makes it using my recipe. After years of requesting it from me he decided he will make it too. He loves to cook and bake.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:39 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,533,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

If I were to name one dish I can do well that is something no one else I know makes it would be my mother's recipe for pheasant with cream gravy.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:32 AM

20,749 posts, read 4,489,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
What is yours, What does everyone always ask you to make .
Baked Stuffed Lobster.

Those seafood restaurants got nothing on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes