Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 04:26 PM

52,349 posts, read 52,799,906 times

Advertisements

Someone posted a thread about suicide and this got me to thinking.

Why is it that some people just seem to have it together? Why is it that some people just don't have it together? How can we see peoples lives and from a distance its all good. Went to school, got a good job, married a good spouse, house in the burbs, 2.5 kids, the whole shabang. Things seem just peachy king right?

Then same person decides they want to dine on a bullet. I mean, how the heck does that happen. How can people be so adept at "hiding" their stuff.

What in the world goes on in people's heads. While I pity a person who takes their own life, I'm also angry, as to me, that is a selfish chickshyt thing to do. I mean, it takes courage sometimes to do the things that we don't want to do.

I guess the point of my ramble is this, how do some people seems so adjusted and others can't cope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 04:38 PM

10,178 posts, read 20,803,755 times
We're just not all equipped with the same set of coping skills, not all brains are wired the same. Some people just don't know how to be happy, regardless of what they have or what they've achieved.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,691,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

I guess the point of my ramble is this, how do some people seems so adjusted and others can't cope.
Could be depression, drugs, alcohol, stress, past situations, etc.. Thats the first thing that comes to mind. Seems that people are so quick to "snap" nowdays, ya` know?
My SIL threatened suicide just a few weeks ago. WHY? She`s young, pretty, has a decent house, but she lost her son of 18 three years ago, and she hasn`t coped well with that, plus her 17 year old daughter is pregnant, and she avoids her.
She stopped by last weekend with her BF, whom i didn`t care for...
I told her...to go have some fun! Just get away, and do something that she enjoys doing!! Go ride a roller coaster. Go sit on the beach!
Sad. It really is sad, to think that someone seems so down in life, that suicide is a better way...out. Its not!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:43 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,020,256 times
Wiring.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:44 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,745,726 times
Most of us take ourselves for granted. We don't think about--or maybe we just don't know--how much of an affect the real, bodily stuff (enzymes, hormones, proteins, etc.) has on what we think of as "us," our selves. I admit that the Matrix was a pretty cheesy movie, but I like the scene where Morpheus explains to Neo that reality is simply perceptions of your brain, which can be manipulated. If your brain is broken, you live in a different reality from everyone else, and no one can convince you otherwise.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:49 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,390,495 times
Goodness, contentment are all relative.

Humans are funny. A person superficially can appear content, but deep down may be a wreck. I think it's also a mistake to say that specific circumstances should make a person happy. Everybody is different, and does not deem material success (if others do not have it) as the benchmark for contentment.

Another point is that psychiatric treatment needs to be more comprehensive, and there needs to be more success on positive thinking.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,230,048 times
Quote:
Then same person decides they want to dine on a bullet. I mean, how the heck does that happen. How can people be so adept at "hiding" their stuff.
Easy - they've had it! Hiding isn't that hard. We all do it.

Quote:
While I pity a person who takes their own life,
Why? They've put an end to their pain.

Quote:
I'm also angry, as to me, that is a selfish chickshyt thing to do.
Why? How does it affect you? And it's only selfish to some extent if you have to leave loved ones behind. Should I do it, for instance, it wouldn't be selfish at all. We've talked about this before, I recall, and somebody was trying to convince me that I should give a rat's patootie about my office or our dear government losing another slave. Surprise, surprise - I don't!

Speaking of selfishness, I remember a recent thread of mine. Many said they wanted their loved ones happiness even if it meant letting them go. Well, that's just another way of letting them go.

Quote:
Circumstances... As we discussed a few days ago, not all of us made such great decisions in their lives, and at some point you face the result of them, you don't like it, and if you're not responsible for somebody else, it's not incomprehensible to choose to end that meaningless torture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If your brain is broken, you live in a different reality from everyone else, and no one can convince you otherwise.
The majority living in some "reality" is not any proof of that reality being the true reality. See another seemingly cheesy movie - They Live. Whose brain is "broken" is questionable.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,344,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Easy - they've had it! Hiding isn't that hard. We all do it.

Why? They've put an end to their pain.

Why? How does it affect you? And it's only selfish to some extent if you have to leave loved ones behind. Should I do it, for instance, it wouldn't be selfish at all. We've talked about this before, I recall, and somebody was trying to convince me that I should give a rat's patootie about my office or our dear government losing another slave. Surprise, surprise - I don't!

Speaking of selfishness, I remember a recent thread of mine. Many said they wanted their loved ones happiness even if it meant letting them go. Well, that's just another way of letting them go.

Circumstances... As we discussed a few days ago, not all of us made such great decisions in their lives, and at some point you face the result of them, you don't like it, and if you're not responsible for somebody else, it's not incomprehensible to choose to end that meaningless torture.
Wish I could rep you for this post. It's so true. My ex-fiance's ex-girlfriend killed herself about three and a half years ago, right around the time he and I broke up. Apparently she'd been dating a married man and he ended things and she took it hard. I'm sure the rest of her life was a mess as well. From what I understand she was estranged from her parents and siblings and didn't really have friends. Honestly, it sounds like she was miserable and had alienated everyone in her life to the point that she had nobody to turn to. I doubt her life would have ever improved enough to get her to be truly happy - she just didn't have it in her to be happy. At least she's not in that kind of pain any more.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,307,382 times
Quote:
Things seem just peachy king right?
"peachy KEEN"

I think people are just different. They have different personalities. Some can handle more than others, some can handle things better than others. I really don't think it's anymore than just a difference of personality..and parenting of course probaby has a lot to do with it..

Old 06-20-2010, 08:38 PM

52,349 posts, read 52,799,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
"peachy KEEN"

I think people are just different. They have different personalities. Some can handle more than others, some can handle things better than others. I really don't think it's anymore than just a difference of personality..and parenting of course probaby has a lot to do with it..
You gonna sleep better tonight, with the safe and secure knowledge of correcting me.

Yes, I got the phrase a little wrong, many people can't see the forest for the trees.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships