Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:39 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times

Advertisements

I don't really know that it's appropriate to advocate suicide as a way out. I would be really careful putting that out there. You never know who will read your words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You gonna sleep better tonight, with the safe and secure knowledge of correcting me.

Yes, I got the phrase a little wrong, many people can't see the forest for the trees.

No big deal. I don't feel superior for it, just telling you. *shrug* And I did respond to the point of your OP as well. So...?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:50 PM

52,272 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
No big deal. I don't feel superior for it, just telling you. *shrug* And I did respond to the point of your OP as well. So...?
Well you could have put a smiley face baby. No hard feelings.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I don't really know that it's appropriate to advocate suicide as a way out. I would be really careful putting that out there. You never know who will read your words.
What's the point of a discussion about it then?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:56 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Why is it that some people just seem to have it together? Why is it that some people just don't have it together? How can we see peoples lives and from a distance its all good. Went to school, got a good job, married a good spouse, house in the burbs, 2.5 kids, the whole shabang. Things seem just peachy king right?
That sounds pretty miserable to me

But the answer has been nailed already.

The brain is an organ just like any other organ. It relies on physical and chemical reactions to function. Sometimes those things get out of wack.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Most of us take ourselves for granted. We don't think about--or maybe we just don't know--how much of an affect the real, bodily stuff (enzymes, hormones, proteins, etc.) has on what we think of as "us," our selves. I admit that the Matrix was a pretty cheesy movie, but I like the scene where Morpheus explains to Neo that reality is simply perceptions of your brain, which can be manipulated. If your brain is broken, you live in a different reality from everyone else, and no one can convince you otherwise.
In my life experience, I can accept that certain people are born a certain way, brains wired a certain way, certain tendencies for different things, a certain base personality.

But I also know we really make our own reality and our own brain chemistry. Since I do a lot of instructing, a lot of which is done in a high speed, stressful for some people environment, I see immediate results between positive and negative thoughts and other things people put in their head.

I think also people need some perspective which is why travel and exploration helps quite a bit. It gives you the realization that maybe you don't have it so bad, that there are others out there worse off.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
Wish I could rep you for this post. It's so true. My ex-fiance's ex-girlfriend killed herself about three and a half years ago, right around the time he and I broke up. Apparently she'd been dating a married man and he ended things and she took it hard. I'm sure the rest of her life was a mess as well. From what I understand she was estranged from her parents and siblings and didn't really have friends. Honestly, it sounds like she was miserable and had alienated everyone in her life to the point that she had nobody to turn to. I doubt her life would have ever improved enough to get her to be truly happy - she just didn't have it in her to be happy. At least she's not in that kind of pain any more.
To me it's an exceptionally self centered thing to do especially if one is an able bodied person.

Why? You look at 1 billion people that don't have clean water or 500 million that don't have enough food to eat, and well if your life is such an F up the least you could do is volunteer overseas or here in the USA and start working to make others peoples lives better. You might realize that hey it aint so bad. There are plenty of volunteer organizations that need all sorts of help all over the world. I'd rather be helping people dig a well in Africa so they don't have to drink from mud puddles as I saw recently with one group of people, than sitting in a corner boo hooing because your love life sucks or you pissed your parents off.

I always have a phrase I tell my students "never give up, never quit", especially since many of them are going into harms way. Often we see the bad for just being bad not how we can learn from it and use it to point us in another direction. And for the dummies that made "poor choices" well I say sit down and figure out how to work through them so you don't continue to make poor choices.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 PM

117 posts, read 242,039 times
Quote:
Why is it that some people just seem to have it together? Why is it that some people just don't have it together?
Emotional stability, upbringing, environment, moral support, level of maturity.

We are all put through some hard tests in life, but the emotional support around us will determine how we will handle a certain situation. If and when someone is pushed over the edge and there is no moral support or good emotional stability present, people will take foolish and sad decisions and they may not always be suicide per say; sometimes people end up being a victim of alcoholism or drug abuse. It's the escape route that they decide to take on since there is no emotional or moral support or stability to rely on.

Quote:
How can people be so adept at "hiding" their stuff.
Society has this view of what is acceptable or unacceptable behavior. A man is not to talk about depression and/or insecurity or low self esteem, so they learn to cope with insecurity levels of low self esteem and excel at hiding it. Women will too; there is no difference. This sense of embarrassment will make people very proficient at hiding their emotions and hiding what is not acceptable by society, putting on a mask that will keep people from seeing right into your soul, your thoughts, your emotions. Often times when you find out how bad someone needs attention you are shocked and unfortunately it is too late to help.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Excellent question. I went through sexual abuse as a child, someone I was supposed to be able to trust, and I came out very strong. I can roll with the punches and take hard knocks in life very well. But I had two childhood friends who took their lives over the same thing. I don't get it myself, neither me, nor them. I wonder about it myself from time to time.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Suicide is a bit loserish though.

Life is always difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships