Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times

Advertisements

I guess I'll have to step up and do it myself, b/c I've been wanting to ask this for a while.

With every other topic being covered on relations I have yet to see any topics covering intimate [on an emotional level] same-sex friendships. You know the ones that are [in few cases] very borderline romantic. The kind where affection is not as restricted [of course there isnt any kissing, unless it's two females], and where you can connect on a deeper level w/o compromising your gender [or heterosexuality]. I find that it's acceptable for women to have a friendship such as this but it's not common for guys [unless they want to be seen as gay]. In other countries, it is okayed(In some european countries men kiss on the cheek as a way to greet, I'm personally not comfortable w/ that but w/e), and many countries in which it's okayed, homosexuality is frowned upon. Any guess as to why that is?? Is it a double standard, is it that the U.S. is somewhat behind?

I will accept both sides, but no "because it's gay" please answers, I want explanations.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 07-12-2010 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
I have a same sex FRIENDSHIP with a guy I met in Egypt who hooked me up with his sister. I asked for directions while going from Cairo to Alexandria and he told me what train to take and what not. Then, he offered to take me all the way to my station. When we got there, I offered to treat him something to eat. Talked a bit more and exchanged emails. We've been in touch since. It's just friendship, that's it. No hints no nothing, just friendship.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 AM

429 posts, read 1,148,179 times
I wouldn't say that the U.S. is "behind" because, as you mention, homosexuality is often frowned upon in those other countries.

Perhaps the fact that homosexuality has become so open in the U.S. has forced American men into a narrower set of behaviors. In other words, they have to appear all-hetero if they are, in order to extinguish any doubt. And I guess that precludes them from being affectionate with one another.

Interesting question.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneee View Post
I wouldn't say that the U.S. is "behind" because, as you mention, homosexuality is often frowned upon in those other countries.

Perhaps the fact that homosexuality has become so open in the U.S. has forced American men into a narrower set of behaviors. In other words, they have to appear all-hetero if they are, in order to extinguish any doubt. And I guess that precludes them from being affectionate with one another.

Interesting question.
I guess so,but I just found it interesting that in countries where that IS accepted, those same countries are often strongly opposed to homosexuality.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:47 PM

367 posts, read 1,073,959 times
As a person who moved from Europe to the US about 5 years ago, I feel that America is about 10 years behind when it comes to the view of homosexuality. In general. That being said, all countries in Europe are of course not the same, just like how different places in the US have evolved to a different state on the topic.
I'd say european men can talk about emotions a lot better than american men - I mean the man to man talk. Again... perhaps just my experience...
As far as kissing on the cheek as a form of greeting, it's a completely non-sexual thing. It is not even necessarily a sign of affection. It's like shaking someones hand.
Where I used to live, it was common to hug friends when greeting/leaving (man/man, man/women and women/women). Strangers got the handshake . Kissing is more typical in the eastern/mediterranean regions of Europe.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I guess I'll have to step up and do it myself, b/c I've been wanting to ask this for a while.

With every other topic being covered on relations I have yet to see any topics covering intimate [on an emotional level] same-sex friendships. You know the ones that are [in few cases] very borderline romantic. The kind where affection is not as restricted [of course there isnt any kissing, unless it's two females], and where you can connect on a deeper level w/o compromising your gender [or heterosexuality]. I find that it's acceptable for women to have a friendship such as this but it's not common for guys [unless they want to be seen as gay]. In other countries, it is okayed(In some european countries men kiss on the cheek as a way to greet, I'm personally not comfortable w/ that but w/e), and many countries in which it's okayed, homosexuality is frowned upon. Any guess as to why that is?? Is it a double standard, is it that the U.S. is somewhat behind?

I will accept both sides, but no "because it's gay" please answers, I want explanations.
You don't think that American men have 'intimate' friendships? Am I missing something?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:26 PM

881 posts, read 1,112,545 times
Most of my guy friends have quite intimate friendships with their other guys friends..... nothing wrong with that!

How sweet.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misswee View Post
Most of my guy friends have quite intimate friendships with their other guys friends..... nothing wrong with that!

How sweet.
I see nothing wrong with close friendships like that. I have hugged and kissed my friend's cheek as we say farewell on a long trip (going to college to another country as I did, a relative moving to another city or country, etc.), told each other "Love ya man! You keep in touch", etc. I don't see my masculinity threatened in any way.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,539 times
hello????

Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatianabe View Post
hello????
hello to you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships