Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,304 times

Advertisements

I HATE how my husband drives...however...in order not to have to drive everywhere we go....I let him drive....
I hate my life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
I actually refused to date some guys because of their driving. If you are a bad driver - meaning if your passengers, all of them, fear for their lives then you are a bad driver - let someone else drive. My father was one of those super aggressive drivers causing passengers to hang on for dear life, to say the rosary, etc. So after my first son was born and he picked us up at the train station), I told him to pull over to the side of road and let us out or switch places with me and I would drive. He couldn't believe I said that to him. I told him that my son's life and my sanity were more important than his hurt feelings. It was an amazing thing that day. I thought my mother was going to have a stroke. My father immediately put on his good-boy hat and drove like a normal person. No more white knuckles. I was the first to tell him his driving was an assault on his own passengers.

I have repeatedly requested that if any passenger of mine gets very anxious or nervous with my driving, please tell me. It is always possible it's time for me to hang up my license; but often it just means I need to be more aware.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:35 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
I actually refused to date some guys because of their driving.
I dated a guy once who felt that me wearing my seat belt was insulting because it meant that I didn't trust him and his driving abilities. He didn't last long.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
I'm constantly nagging my husband about his driving. (and I do feel bad about it because I find myself doing it often.) He's an excellent driver, but he can be too aggressive sometimes and I guess that comes from his long commutes (2 hours plus each way) because he wasn't always like this. He just has little patience...meaning it makes him nuts when drivers stay 2 cars back from another car and there's a chance he might miss the light because of them. He'll start inching up (to give them a hint) so that the truck's bumper is practically up their a$s. I can understand being impatient when you have to be somewhere, but more often than not, when I'm with him we're not in any kind of rush. So what if we miss the light!?! Home Depot isn't going to suddenly disappear because it took us 5 minutes longer to get through a light.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Home Depot isn't going to suddenly disappear because it took us 5 minutes longer to get through a light.
Yes it will!!! It would be a catastrophe.

Just kidding.

Thats not good to be that impatient. Plus if you have kids in the car with you, remind him of that. Remind him that you and the kids depend on him to keep alive when driving.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Yes it will!!! It would be a catastrophe.

Just kidding.

Thats not good to be that impatient. Plus if you have kids in the car with you, remind him of that. Remind him that you and the kids depend on him to keep alive when driving.
He's not reckless, but he gets uptight. I understand where he's coming from because it's people who aren't paying attention or thinking of the other cars, but I just have no problem waiting. BUT I also don't deal with it on a daily basis like he does.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
He's not reckless, but he gets uptight. I understand where he's coming from because it's people who aren't paying attention or thinking of the other cars, but I just have no problem waiting. BUT I also don't deal with it on a daily basis like he does.
True, I can't blame him, I drive in the same area. He's got to learn to let it go. Getting uptight can cloud his concentration.

Besides, it helps with blood pressure.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 AM

19,527 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Anyone ever had a Significant Other whose driving skills were so alarming that it caused a riff in your relationship? The kind of driving that raises your heart rate and makes you clinch your fist.

Examples: Driving on shoulders around traffic; changing lanes constantly only to advance ahead one car at a time; speeding on residential streets or in parking lots or when cresting hills; backing down on on-ramps because they got off on the wrong exit; rolling through stop signs; not paying attention to merge signs and almost hitting the orange cones that are set up, etc.

Mercy!
Wow, maybe SO should sign up for a remedial driving session or several sessions? Sounds like there's some repressed anger issues going on as well. People who change lanes constantly just to get ahead one car at a time, seem to have something going on there. That kind of driving [all the things you mentioned] is erratic and it poses a danger to those in the vehicle as well as to anyone around. I can see the occasional, opps, I turned too soon and hopefully your SO at least looks behind before backing up? Would he rather risk the eventual loss of priviledge driving, due to getting speeding [other] tickets ? SO sounds young and quite immature, I'm sorry to say. Should be thinking of the family. If SO ever got into a serious accident and was put into a hospital or worse, how does SO think the children and you would feel then? Is that something SO wants to see happen? Have you known SO demonstrating this behavior before marriage or if not married, right before you were getting into a more serious relationship? Do you think there may be some other medical issues that need to be addressed? Perhaps there could also be a problem with
vision accuity? Good luck, I hope something here helps.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
I think this is another thing couples use to irritate each other!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
I had an SO that didn't drive or have a license. She brought it up to me that she might want to go for a license and I offered to accompany during the permit phase so she could get experience for the road skills test. She ended up not getting a license or permit while I was with her, which was probably good for me as that could very well have fallen into the category of uncomfortably driving experiences with an SO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships