Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:29 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times

Advertisements

One thing to keep in mind when someone comes to our door; you don't know anything about them. You don't know if the story they tell you is the truth or not. How would you feel if you just now learned that she had killed her children, and was running from the police and her husband because of that? The law enforcement agencies in this country are not broken, they may not think like you do, but usually they do follow the laws. Until this country is like Germany during Hitler's reign, it is not in your best interests to hide anyone from the police. In my opinion, your actions were foolish, and could get you into trouble with the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:33 AM

437 posts, read 675,208 times
If her husband was abusing her, chances are he won't be willing to tangle with another male, as abusers are weak and cowardly and tend to abuse those who can't protect themselves.

That is nonsense on so many levels. Some abusers are weak but others are quite strong and violent who will fight with and kill anyone they see as a serious threat.

Just because you're another man (noting this because the poster commented on tangling with another male) doesn't somehow make you immune to violence. Why women seem to believe this shocks me.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:53 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
One thing to keep in mind when someone comes to our door; you don't know anything about them. You don't know if the story they tell you is the truth or not. How would you feel if you just now learned that she had killed her children, and was running from the police and her husband because of that? .
Thats a good point...he said she didn't have a mark on her...she could have assaulted him...he called the police but then he could be a clever manipulating abuser...you just don't know who you're opening the door to and where theres truth.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:06 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,601 times
I would have called the police (something was done and she can get the necessary help) and stayed out of it because it has NOTHING to do with me, and a language barrier means I would be missing a VERY BIG part of the story. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES do I let her into my house. I use the cell phone (and ONLY the cell phone) and I call the police. If she is that scared she will bolt before they arrive, but I would have done my best to assure her that she could trust them. Letting someone you don't know into your home puts you on the hook if they decide to make an allegation against you (due to the language barrier all I know is that she's upset and I can't vouch for her "mental state", so I would have to take steps to protect myself.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:12 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Definitely would have done it differently, I would have talked to the police.

First... Why would you cover for someone in this country illegally and not talk to the police?

Secondly... Someone who truely fears this man is not going to call him from your phone...it doesn't add up, even if shes unfamiliar with how caller ID works.

Lastly...you seem to be unfamiliar with domestic violence, so I'll give you some info...typically, women return to their abusers and I believe she wanted him to know where she was. You are not out of danger and there still may be repercussions for you.
Under other circumstances I might agree here but looking at how little time had passed from the time she left her home to her husband calling her in as missing, I have to say that's strange. Sounds like he's used to total control of her. What's also strange is the police don't usually get involved that quickly, especially if it's an adult. They always tell you you have to wait 24 hours to make a missing persons report. Something's strange alright, we just don't know what, exactly.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,549 times
Just as a bit of a follow-up... additional members of her family came by today (from Long Island... about an 8 hour drive) to pick up her things and brought the police along with them to prevent any violent confrontations. It was pretty obvious the cops were there more to protect the husband, and protect the family from doing anything they'd later regret (at least one of the guys that came was built like a linebacker). I overheard some talk about them trying to find her passport, so it sounds like she was here legally. Haven't had any confrontations since the night of the incident.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Thanks for updating, RM

Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 AM

49 posts, read 124,899 times
It is a hard call. I guess hindsight is 20/20....I would never have lied to the police. These people could be wanted or on some list and you could be involving yourself in harboring a fugitive just because you are a good samaritan. I know the "want to help" urge is strong in many people but you have to watch out for your life first. Believe me these people are not going to remember your kindness and in the end it may cost you more than it was worth. I would have told the police the truth and that her uncle was coming to assist her. That way they knew where she was and that she was safe and you did not put yourself in a compromising position with the police. Good or bad the law is the law and everyone is subject to it. Thank goodness it ended well for you and I hope you change your number and be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships