Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times

Advertisements

With the current state of the economy, and absolute lack of leadership, I would predict that hobos will become more popular in the near future.

Pros:
  • They are very hard working
  • They are very respectful towards women
  • They live by a strict, brotherly code
  • They would be out of the house and out of your hair, for long stretches of time.
Cons:
  • Their bodies and clothes MAY stink, when they returned home.
  • Their beards MAY be a mess of itchy, frustrations.
  • Possibility of being killed, by an angry drunkard.
  • Possibility of being jailed for vagrancy.

Last edited by JSizzle225; 08-25-2010 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: changed from WOULD to MAY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
train-hoppers, or just the homeless in general?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
train-hoppers, or just the homeless in general?
You are probably thinking of a "train hopper." Hobos, in general, like to work and are hard working. They just have trouble finding steady work, due to any number of circumstances. I imagine that "hobos" will become more common, as American workers start traveling to where the jobs are.

If I was a hobo, here's how I'd do it:

I'd travel with a good friend of mine. Hobos can never be too safe. I'd have a woman back home that I'd bring my monies to every couple of months or so. I'd live on a steady diet of beans and turkey hot dogs. I'd keep all my possessions in a tablecloth, that was strewn over my shoulder.

I'd mend fences for a shave, and build a new fence for a meal and board. If the woman of the house's husband was an angry drunkard, I would mark their boundary as such...such as that no other hobos would be in danger. I would be very concerned about the welfare of other hobos.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
no, because your premise is flawed. if they were hard working they wouldn't have any of those cons.

so would i date a lazy person who never showers, gets jailed for vagrancy, gets in bum fights, and generally doesn't take care of themself?

no

would i date someone who is hard working, respectful and uses his time effectively. YES

if these hobos you speak of are hard working, then they wouldn't have time for fighting and getting jailed, they'd be busy working. and i'd imagine a hobo would want to look good for his woman so when he returned home he would shower and shave.

hobos have places to stay and shower while "being vagrant" so they shouldn't stink.

but what you're referring to is not a hobo type lifestyle. its nomadic, so how do you plan on making enough money to support a house by bartering building a fence for room and board?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
no, because your premise is flawed. if they were hard working they wouldn't have any of those cons.

so would i date a lazy person who never showers, gets jailed for vagrancy, gets in bum fights, and generally doesn't take care of themself?

no

would i date someone who is hard working, respectful and uses his time effectively. YES

if these hobos you speak of are hard working, then they wouldn't have time for fighting and getting jailed, they'd be busy working. and i'd imagine a hobo would want to look good for his woman so when he returned home he would shower and shave.

hobos have places to stay and shower while "being vagrant" so they shouldn't stink.

Good, you edited your statements. They were VERY offensive to hobos. I am actually the President of a Hobo Awareness Group, and I can assure you they are very "dateable."

AND...a hobo would never get into a "bum fight." Tramps do that.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:37 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Good, you edited your statements. They were VERY offensive to hobos. I am actually the President of a Hobo Awareness Group, and I can assure you they are very "dateable."
do they have a website?

my issue with the whole statement is that you're generalizing hobos as dirty, stinky people who live a risky lifestyle, which is simply untrue.

i knew a guy who didn't have a house, he worked with me. no one else knew he didn't have a house, he was well taken care of, held himself with poise and dignity, but he went to the homeless shelter after work. he even bought moped to get himself places. you'd catch him at barnes and noble on a any given day reading and buying books.

i also have a "friend" who has a dirty stinky apartment, no job, no car, every time i see him his eyes are glassy and distant. hes generally an undesirable person to be around, he's been mugged several times because he walks the streets at night when he should be in his paid for apartment. but he chooses to let his "spiritual masters" protect him (thats the drugs talking) he calls and begs for rides and when his family and aquaintences don't give them to him, he has fits. this is a 24 year old guy.

whos the better person in that situation? the person with a home, or without?

Last edited by Orincarnia; 08-25-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
do they have a website?
No, as you can imagine, funds are very tight. We do have a post up, on Craigslist, but people keep flagging it.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
The Siz is HAG President. Nice.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
This thread is chock full of trollicious win.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The Siz is HAG President. Nice.
smirking....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships