Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
I said 'often'. It's not an universal rule. I'm talking about people who put animals at the same levels as human just because they're cute, while deliberatly ignoring how the meat they're eating is treated.

When you measure worth based on cutiness, you have the emotional integrity of a child and don't know much about life.
That's the sense I get, that the animal "loooovers" just can't "do" normal adult human relationships. So a relationship with an animal is really about as "demanding" as they're capable of. And I'm not so sure they're actually all that in love with the critter anyway, as with the way it makes them feel. After all, they can project and fantasize just about anything they want onto the pet, and the animal can't ever disagree (unlike a human).

Ah, but if animals could talk, wouldn't that be interesting?! "Man, you wouldn't believe what that crazy bit¢h tries to do with me..!!"

Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 PM

239 posts, read 596,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I love animals, and have one cat who is well cared for.

I'm not sure I'm going to say this right....

I don't find people appealing who have what seems like an emotional involvement with there pets. The ones who talk like they are people, all the time. It seems sad to me.

I have a friend who got a purse dog when her children all left home. She freely states that why she got it. It's too cute. It comes with her most places. I have no problem with that. It makes her happy. And there is some emotion involved because she had a need to nurture something. BUT, she doesn't talk about it like a person, or make you talk to it, or any of the things I find somewhat disturbing.
Are you saying that people shouldn't have an emotional involvement with their pets? I dare say that most pet owners DO have some sort of bond with their pet.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
He could have humans killed by the millions without blinking an eye, but if he ever caught someone abusing an animal, it was curtains!
Exactly! And he was the one who started the smoking witch hunt most recently in modern times before the US! The model society is quite clear! Of course, it's not like the Nazi "doctors" died in jail, either - they continued their "productive" work here!

Btw, I wonder if another reason for the major increase of all kinds of diseases is not the filthy animals in people's houses... Animals have never been inside or sleeping with their owners before both trends started.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Btw, I wonder if another reason for the major increase of all kinds of diseases is not the filthy animals in people's houses... Animals have never been inside or sleeping with their owners before both trends started.
Wow. I don't consider my pets filthy or germ-ridden. So what if they play and tumble around on my lawn. And I would consider them cleaner and much more appealing to have inside my house and bedroom than any cigarette smoking human being... l take some garden dirt tracked on my kitchen floor over their nicotine stained teeth and their tobacco stench embedded in my fabrics.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:21 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Wow. I don't consider my pets filthy or germ-ridden. So what if they play and tumble around on my lawn. And I would consider them cleaner and much more appealing to have inside my house and bedroom than any cigarette smoking human being... l take some garden dirt tracked on my kitchen floor over their nicotine stained teeth and their tobacco stench embedded in my fabrics.
I was going to say...humans ARE the filthy animals in their own houses!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:42 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Just think of all the crap kids drag in.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post

I love dogs, but this cannot be true. I don't lay on the carpet and lick my backside...(dreams, sigh dreams...j/k)

Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I love dogs, but this cannot be true. I don't lay on the carpet and lick my backside...(dreams, sigh dreams...j/k)
You walk out and about and touch various things, don't you? Ever stop to wonder what kind of germs you're dragging in? LOL

Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Exactly! And he was the one who started the smoking witch hunt most recently in modern times before the US! The model society is quite clear! Of course, it's not like the Nazi "doctors" died in jail, either - they continued their "productive" work here!

The "Hitler loved his dog" example can be countered by the fact that many serial killers get their start torturing animals. It is no point at all. Animals have traditionally shared living quarters with people - everything from chickens, to cows to pigs, and still do in many less industrialized parts of the world. So that is not true either.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "major increase in diseases", but as far as diseases go, studies show that people who grow up with animals/have contact with animals are less likely to develop asthma. The Increase in Asthma Can Be Ascribed to Cleanliness -- von Mutius 164 (7): 1106 -- American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine There is such a thing as being so phobic about germs that your body doesn't develop the antibodies necessary to fight off germs.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
I said 'often'. It's not an universal rule. I'm talking about people who put animals at the same levels as human just because they're cute, while deliberatly ignoring how the meat they're eating is treated.

When you measure worth based on cutiness, you have the emotional integrity of a child and don't know much about life.
For me, it's not about cute. I am a vegetarian/pesci cusp, so any charged hypocrisy does't come into play. I won't deny that I love my dog more than most people, to state the obvious, since I work to pay for her food, daycare, and pet insurance. The only creatures I bust my hump for are family and a few friends. She falls into that camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.