Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Is music THE indicator for compatibility? I've noticed that in the long run I never get along fine with someone who likes different music than me.
I used to know and be in love with a girl that liked wild music, rock etc. I liked her a lot but sooner or later I noticed that the music said a lot about her character, which was very different from mine as I am rather introverted and quiet.
And I noticed the same thing with other people, too.
When someone likes all kinds of music that also seems suspect to me. Obviously a rather open-minded person, but that also means not very focused and specialized, maybe a bit superficial even.

Anyone made similar experiences?
I guess if I met a woman who knew and loved, say, three out of my five favorite songs there would be an immediate bond so to speak.
Could a dating service based on favorite songs be successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Is music THE indicator for compatibility? I've noticed that in the long run I never get along fine with someone who likes different music than me.
I used to know and be in love with a girl that liked wild music, rock etc. I liked her a lot but sooner or later I noticed that the music said a lot about her character, which was very different from mine as I am rather introverted and quiet.
And I noticed the same thing with other people, too.
When someone likes all kinds of music that also seems suspect to me. Obviously a rather open-minded person, but that also means not very focused and specialized, maybe a bit superficial even.

Anyone made similar experiences?
I guess if I met a woman who knew and loved, say, three out of my five favorite songs there would be an immediate bond so to speak.
Could a dating service based on favorite songs be successful?
Talk about generalizations. I'm quiet and introverted and I like rock music. I also like just about every kind of music except opera and rap. I consider myself very focused. Not so sure about specialized. But definitely not superficial. You're really limiting yourself if you choose someone by their music.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
If they are open minded to different genres of music then that is a really good sign. If they only like rap and know rap artists then it will get boring to be around that person IMHO.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Talk about generalizations. I'm quiet and introverted and I like rock music. I also like just about every kind of music except opera and rap. I consider myself very focused. Not so sure about specialized. But definitely not superficial. You're really limiting yourself if you choose someone by their music.
I wonder if you really are quiet and introverted or only behave that way. Some people like others who do what they themselves do not have the guts or opportunity to do.
I guess if I started a relationship with a Metal or Opera fan it would be over before it started. I am a rather direct person and when I dislike something I say it. When someone asks me if I like this or that song I simply say no except for the rare cases where I do. If I told a person I don't like any of her music that probably would not go down well

Old 09-04-2010, 08:33 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Musical taste as a green or red light?
I think this is ridiculous. Its like saying that "Oh, she likes impressionist art from Monet and Degas, but I only like baroque art, will it work?"

A person's taste in music is NOT necessarily a qualifier on if the relationship will work or not. I personally HATE HATE HATE country music, but wouldnt call it a dealbreaker in a relationship. What WILL be a dealbreaker is if someon lives the "country lifestyle".

My wife HATES a lot of the music I like. Yet, we are in a successful relationship. I think part of it also is that I have a WIDE range of musical interests that range from rock, alternative, blues, funk, classical, metal, new age, etc. and am NOT living the "lifestyle" of a particular type of music.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:37 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
I wonder if you really are quiet and introverted or only behave that way. Some people like others who do what they themselves do not have the guts or opportunity to do.
I guess if I started a relationship with a Metal or Opera fan it would be over before it started. I am a rather direct person and when I dislike something I say it. When someone asks me if I like this or that song I simply say no except for the rare cases where I do. If I told a person I don't like any of her music that probably would not go down well
For crying out loud, how old are you? Seriously. I think I know myself pretty well. I used to be uncomfortable being shy and introverted but I like myself the way I am now. I have no problem with anyone telling me they don't like my music becauase it doesn't bother me. I like it. I've dated men with different music taste and it never broke us up. Other factors, yes, but not music. In fact, I've acquired extra/new music tastes as a result of dating them. Wow. Some people think TOO much.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:38 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
I think the idea that music reflects personality doesn't make sense. I like quite a few music genres, from classical to jazz fusion, rock, rap, 80s, house music, dancehall, etc. and it's just what I like and appeals to me. I consider myself open-minded in general, but I am not superficial or thin in interest.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think this is ridiculous. Its like saying that "Oh, she likes impressionist art from Monet and Degas, but I only like baroque art, will it work?"

A person's taste in music is NOT necessarily a qualifier on if the relationship will work or not. I personally HATE HATE HATE country music, but wouldnt call it a dealbreaker in a relationship. What WILL be a dealbreaker is if someon lives the "country lifestyle".

My wife HATES a lot of the music I like. Yet, we are in a successful relationship. I think part of it also is that I have a WIDE range of musical interests that range from rock, alternative, blues, funk, classical, metal, new age, etc. and am NOT living the "lifestyle" of a particular type of music.
Hm, don't know if art is a good analogy. Unless someone plasters their apartment with (copies of) paintings, the SO would only have to face that issue if they went to a museum together. Listening to music however is a hobby many people love enjoying together.

Yes, I guess it helps to like a lot of music styles, but I happen not to. I like my 3 genres (and even there only a small number of songs) and everything else is trash to me It has never been different and never will be. I guess I am just very intolerant when it comes to music.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:45 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
I think people who are really passionate about a brand of music should definitely consider the possibility of finding someone who shares that passion. That goes for many hobbies that fall into the realm of obsessions.

It could be sports, video games, antiques, food, etc.

I know a lot of people who are put off by rap music because there is definitely a lifestyle component to it. For the casual listener who really sees rap as a diversion in the car, that's a different story. If someone identifies with rap because it was their upbringing and their common bond with friends from a thug life, well, that could be a problem.

But for a lot of people, music is a lifestyle. Music can be a way of communicating very strong and deeply held emotions for some people. Music can create a shared experience that is really, really powerful. Anyone who has been to a three day music festival probably knows this to be true. Obsessions should be shared if people are inclined.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
I think people who are really passionate about a brand of music should definitely consider the possibility of finding someone who shares that passion. That goes for many hobbies that fall into the realm of obsessions.

It could be sports, video games, antiques, food, etc.

I know a lot of people who are put off by rap music because there is definitely a lifestyle component to it. For the casual listener who really sees rap as a diversion in the car, that's a different story. If someone identifies with rap because it was their upbringing and their common bond with friends from a thug life, well, that could be a problem.

But for a lot of people, music is a lifestyle. Music can be a way of communicating very strong and deeply held emotions for some people. Music can create a shared experience that is really, really powerful. Anyone who has been to a three day music festival probably knows this to be true. Obsessions should be shared if people are inclined.
Ok but good luck finding someone who only likes three genres and only very select of those, and for it to be the same three as this person, I hope they believe in miracles. They're going to need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships