Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:58 PM

311 posts, read 694,184 times

Advertisements

Again I disagree boodhabunny.Yes married women work but they have more choices than men.Married women are FAR more likely to work part time than married men,even without children.Women also choose careers that are more fullfilling and want a better work/life balance because they are not as concerned with making more money because they know they have the option of marriage to a man who can be a good provider.The reason why married men make more money is because they have to.Women marry for money. Women Marry for Money | Psychology Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 03:05 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Answer me this. Do you think a unmarried couple is immune from suing each other if things breakup? And if a lawsuit is initiated, a Judge will not divide property as the Judge deems fit?
If you have a properly drafted "Non-Marital Cohabitation Agreement" (or even a lease arrangement), then such problems are eliminated or minimized.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:25 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
If you have a properly drafted "Non-Marital Cohabitation Agreement" (or even a lease arrangement), then such problems are eliminated or minimized.
Sounds like a plan. Knowing what your risks are and working to handle them will help you in any situation.

I suspect most people do not think things through. But if they did, the lawyers would be standing on the street corner with signs saying, "Will draw up contracts for food".

Old 09-11-2010, 03:39 PM

13 posts, read 47,311 times
I posted in the wrong thread. I will say this,

Life is great as a happy bachelor!

Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elric View Post
If you married and own a condo, and then later on divorce, that divorcing spouse, even if he hardly put any money or none at all to maintaining that condo, is entitled half the value of that condo assets which is considered a matrimonial home. I know a woman who lost her condo and force to sell it by court order and giving half that money sold that a condo to that divorcing husband who hardly did anything or contribute anything. Divorce by default is 50/50.

Oh btw, for those who say get a pre-nup, a divorce court judge can override that if the judge feels the pre-nup is unfair.
Bull. I owned a townhouse, got married, and later divorced. My ex certainly did not get any fraction of the value of that condo. I had the greater income, and took care of all of my townhome bills and repairs myself.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
Again I disagree boodhabunny.Yes married women work but they have more choices than men.Married women are FAR more likely to work part time than married men,even without children.Women also choose careers that are more fullfilling and want a better work/life balance because they are not as concerned with making more money because they know they have the option of marriage to a man who can be a good provider.The reason why married men make more money is because they have to.Women marry for money. Women Marry for Money | Psychology Today
No, *all* women certainly do not. You can find a book or article out there to agree with any perspective you might have on this issue, so a link is pretty pointless.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Marriage used to be about benefits.
Then it was about love.
Now it's about benefits again?
Well, yeah. If I have to put up with your ass, you'd better bring something to the table.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:30 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
50/50 split on everything is one 'perk'.
Especially when one of them only contributed 10%.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:50 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
wow...this thread should be titled "Counting the Ways of Why I Hate Marriage"......

I'm sorry to see so many disillusioned people out there....may explain why there is an inordinate number of very unhappy people walking around today and depression rates are rising rapidly....

Because anyway you cut it, the human animal needs companionship and to trivialize the importance of having a spouse/SO watching your back is sad.....

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 09-12-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 09-12-2010, 03:46 PM

362 posts, read 392,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I will preface this by stating I am over 50 years old, never married. I will happily admit I always wanted to be married from early manhood onwards. Never happened due to my lack of socializing skills. As time slips by it becomes much more unlikely. Some will say I am lucky to not have faced a unhappy marriage. I would counter I missed having a lifetime companion and children to carry on my heritage. As old age begins to encroach there is no one to turn to.

Many people tend to blame others for problems within themselves. They claim a hatred towards the other gender based on the fact they did not have good relationships.

So, are there benefits to marriage in our modern society, or is marriage a outmoded institute destined to fade away?
Other than 2 for one discounts at resturants, there are no benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships