Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

I might be considered the boring one. But I just don't care for small talk at parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 05:04 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Too many boring people. I'm afraid nowadays they tend to be the norm rather than the exception ( though I am sure they consider me just as boring...).

Most people I meet have no intellectual curiosity, no interest in the world around them, no interest in travel or doing anything active. I am constantly baffled by how many people are happy to go through life sitting on a sofa watching TV or playing video games. It never ceases to amaze me how many people have no conversation, no interest in developing knowledge and are basically to all intents and purposes already dead or waiting for death.

As someone who cannot stand still and is culturally very active and as physically active as my health allows I simply do not understand it. Of course we all have different interests and hobbies but the number of people content with simply existing rather than living does completely bemuse me.

I have also noticed that usually the youngest and the most boring. My younger friends are so, so much duller than my older ones. They can just sit for 12 hours in front of a screen playing video games and cannot exist for even an hour without some form of audio visual stimulation ( cell phone, blackberry, tv, computer, video game).

The most active friend and the most interesting is over 70 , constantly on the go , travels a lot, is really up to speed on current affairs , culturally and intellectually super active and always fascinating to speak to. He is closely followed by a 90 year old equally interesting and active.

Every time I have the misfortune I go to a party I am always shocked at how vapid and shallow the average human being is. The women talk about babies, men and fashion and the men about sports, women and cars. Of course this is a gross over exaggeration but you get my drift.

Trying to get someone to do something new or talk about social issues, culture, the arts, science etc... is like drawing teeth. I have given up asking people , there is no point. As far as I am concerned we live in a society where only the vaccuous has any interest for most people.

Try to go deeper on an intellectual basis and you are doomed to disappointment. Most people do not want to try anything new. Period.

I was told that only boring people are bored. Well I am bored of most people so I must be the most boring person on the planet...

Luckily for me I have found someone to share my life with who has never bored me once in 22 years. I am not sure how I would cope with a boring Husband. It would be like a death sentence as far as I am concerned.

When I meet someone new , I always express interest in their lives, ask about them , their tastes, likes, dislikes, travels, views on issues etc... I always start from the assumption that people are interesting. Usually to be disillusioned pretty quickly. I have also noticed people will always tell you about themselves and never ask about you. I find that rude, boorish and it shows an incredible lack of curiosity and interest in others as well as good manners.

Most people cannot manage a dialogue, only a monologue or one way conversation. It is as though they are so incredibly vapid that they are the only topic of interest is.... themselves. How dull is that ?

I know far more about people I meet than they know about me. Why ? Because they never ask and I was brought up not to force my life upon others.

So I wander through life feeling completely bored with most human beings, peeved at their rudeness and lack of social skills . I am going to a huge party in a couple of weeks ( over 200 people) and I know I shall start by trying, and give up soon .

Never , ever be without a book. A book is about the most interesting person you are likely to meet at most parties. I am never without one.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:17 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
The most boring people are those with no opinions about anything.

I had a friend who had zero opinion on anything. No sports interests, no political opinions, no music opinions. The glue that bonded us was our similarly aged sons. Once our sons grew up and apart, we haven't spoken in some time.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
SORRY, SORRY to break the news to you.......there are a heck of a lot of people in society who DO judge others! Just ask some folks what they think about tattoos, body piercings, drug/alcohol use, mohawk haircuts, call-girls, prostitution, gay/lesbian issue and the list goes on and on!!!!!!!!
The word discrimination is used a lot in todays society and that is a "judgement" type word.
Shoot, unfortunately, even children and adults with mental and physical impairments are judged by many.
So, with that being said, we ARE a VERY "judgemental" society........like it or not!!
Perhaps in your social circle, not anywhere else.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Perhaps in your social circle, not anywhere else.
Didn't you post a thread about hating people at first sight? Particularly the "lower class"?

Looks like it was deleted.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Didn't you post a thread about hating people at first sight? Particularly the "lower class"?

Looks like it was deleted.
Yes, but that is not judgment, it's natural.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
First of all, our idea of the word "party" is a few beers at home, some snacks and watching a good movie or NFL football game...........NOT the kind of "partying" that the young generation does!!
Just because we are in our early 60's does that mean we aren't suppose to have fun around more? Geshhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
And, for "samston": I really don't give a crap what you think of the word fun! I done this Thread as a curiousity type thing......NOT for wife and I to be bashed for enjoying life!!!!!!!!!
If anyone who has replied to this Thread likes being around boring type people, that's there thing. If we choose not to be, that's OUR thing!!
As far as "judging" people goes, I can judge anybody at any time for anything! Thing that really gets me, MOST people do judge others.......they just won't/don't admit it!!
Why do you care so much what others do? Is this thread just a pretext to look down your nose at somebody? How do you know your brother in law doesn't look down his nose at you?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
I work 5 days a week part time at a crappy job and go to school full time. My freedom is on the weekends but even still I have to do airings for my grandparents. 21 yrs old and feel trap

My childhood wasn't boring. I was always in summer camp, did minor leagues briefly, and enjoyed going to the roller rink frequently on saturdays or sundays.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:04 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Do you have a friends or family members who are just plain boring to be around?
Do you know of any friends or family members who seem to constantly complain about not having, or being able to keep, a boyfriend or girlfriend because they lead such a boring lifestyle?
My wife's brother really seems to live a VERY boring lifestyle! He has never been married or involved with a lady for numerous years and, in part, we think it's because he is so boring to be around.
My SIL's husband is the same way......boring and we think that is the main reason why she simple don't want to be around him that much anymore! And, they've been married for 30 plus years now.
I do know that some people live a boring life because they are introverts/quiet and/or not very good looking (average or below). Because of their personalities/looks, they very seldom-to-not at all go out and have fun.
Even though wife/I are in our early 60's, we still know how to have fun and DO!!

What is boring is relative to who you are and what you find interesting.

My whole family thinks my obsessive interest in all things science, humanist psychology and meso-american archeology is boring.

I think their interest in spectator sports, cooking and popular entertainment is boring.

I'm the "smart one" of the family. You decide which side is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships