Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:42 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times

Advertisements

If you are 19 and living at home, you better be paying rent or going to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 06:43 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Wait, a second....You're 19????!!! And your parents are still telling you that you can't have premarital sex? And may threaten to kick you out otherwise?

I would look to legal consul on this. Ask a lawyer what your options are. It would seem to me threatening to make someone homeless simply because they wish to engage in an activity that is completely legal could have some legal repercussions for your parents. It's very probable you could sue them if kicking you out over this resulted in some hardship and / or loss of income or the ability to attend school, etc..
Nope he has no legal options since they don't have to allow him to reside there. They have set their standards and rules for him to abide too in order to live there. While i don't agree with them if he doesn't like it he can move out.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Ummm...you're 19 and you live with your parents. Most girls your age will have exactly the same situation. Neither of you should have such expectations. Have you ever actually HAD a girlfriend??

Actually a good portion of 19 year old will live on their own, and believe it or not a lot of parents don't care if you bring your bf over to spend the night at that age. :-P

Old 11-21-2010, 04:22 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Nope he has no legal options since they don't have to allow him to reside there. They have set their standards and rules for him to abide too in order to live there. While i don't agree with them if he doesn't like it he can move out.
Those "rules" as you call them violate his rights and couple that with the threat of homelessness if he does not submit to the violation of his own rights, he certainly does have a case.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:05 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
So here's the deal. I'm 19 years old and have these strict, traditional-valued parents who I still live with. If I date a girl around the same age and we end up having sex, whether she lives on her own or not, would she not mind me not being able to stay til morning? My parents would know what I was up to if I returned in the morning. They'd be really pissed and might even throw me out. It would also be really hard to make up a story. They won't believe that I slept over at a guy's house since they don't believe guys do that.

So would a girl not mind this? I could leave instead a little post-midnight.
Oh my gosh. Granted, this was 15 years ago, but I did not stay over at boyfriend's houses before I was married, nor were my boyfriends allowed to stay over. I did stay over once in college because I was too tired to drive--my parents were not buying it either--and I did stay over at my now-husband's house when we started dating. See how that turned out?

I think the situation you're in is perfectly normal. And please wear a condom.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Those "rules" as you call them violate his rights and couple that with the threat of homelessness if he does not submit to the violation of his own rights, he certainly does have a case.

No they aren't, since he is in essentially a contract with his parents. Their rules were stated out clearly before he accepted living there at 18 and beyond. If we go with your argument then any type of hospital for addiction could now be sued because they are violating your rights. I checked with my father on this and he said he has no case whatsoever. Almost no lawyer alive would even take it, and even if he found one that would it's doubtful any judge would allow it to go forward. Now if what they were doing was illegal or perhaps detrimental to him living then a judge might hear it, but you aren't going to be able to argue that a teenage boy not being able to pork his gf is somehow having his rights violated.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oh my gosh. Granted, this was 15 years ago, but I did not stay over at boyfriend's houses before I was married, nor were my boyfriends allowed to stay over. I did stay over once in college because I was too tired to drive--my parents were not buying it either--and I did stay over at my now-husband's house when we started dating. See how that turned out?

I think the situation you're in is perfectly normal. And please wear a condom.
Sheesh Julia now parents allow their kids the master bedroom...where have you been?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:02 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
19? Curfew? Living at home?

I think there are bigger issues here than trying to get laid.
Could be commuting to uni cos his parents can't afford to pay for on-campus housing.

Although the curfew is still a bit much, but I'm not the head of that household.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:04 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Actually a good portion of 19 year old will live on their own, and believe it or not a lot of parents don't care if you bring your bf over to spend the night at that age. :-P
I disagree....I believe that most parents of 19yr olds, would absolutely NOT permit that. As far as them living on their own, unless they are away at college, the majority of 19 yr olds do still live at home.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
So here's the deal. I'm 19 years old and have these strict, traditional-valued parents who I still live with. If I date a girl around the same age and we end up having sex, whether she lives on her own or not, would she not mind me not being able to stay til morning? My parents would know what I was up to if I returned in the morning. They'd be really pissed and might even throw me out. It would also be really hard to make up a story. They won't believe that I slept over at a guy's house since they don't believe guys do that.

So would a girl not mind this? I could leave instead a little post-midnight.
It is time for you to move out and get your own place for two reasons: 1) to respect your parents' "house" rules and 2) to respect your independence.

And...! If the girl in question still lives with her parents, don't stay there for two additional reasons: 1) to respect her parents and 2) to respect her - stay because you want to not because you need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships