Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,909,742 times

Advertisements

A college freshman asked me about dating the fair sex and about the ins-and-outs of being a young man of 18 years - I was his age back in 1975. (Young ladies, you can consider the following when looking at choices for courtship):

First: every man should aspire to be a Texan, and be able to sing "The Eyes of Texas" - even if he never sets foot in the state.

Son, have a job, even when in school - the world owes you nothing. Know how to do basic repair and upkeep on your car, bike or truck. Keep a month's worth of wages in a savings account, don't use it even if you need to. Walk a way from a fight - even if you win, you lose. Shine your own boots.

To be early, is to be on time. Treat people who are serving you (waiters, custodians, etc.) with personal respect at all times, they work hard too. Look people in the eye, call them by name. You get treated well when you treat other people well. Learn to give, and take, a compliment - something done well deserves a nice comment.

Manners... Men like holding doors open for women and being polite about everything, she'll expect it too. Say "yes Sir and yes Ma'am" to anyone five years-older than you. Say please and thank you. Don't sweat the small stuff. Always be a friend of your friends, expect the same from them. Be true to your word. Do the right thing, especially when you know that it's going to cost you. Be kind to your mother, always.

As far as dating woman:

Don't wear a baseball cap on a date. C'mon junior. Be prepared to pay for dinner for all at the table, always pay for her. Know how to do the basic dances: waltz, two-step, polka, etc.

If a girl tells you she's had sex with one guy, assume she's had sex with at least four (she likes sex too) - and you'll find out about all of her ex-boyfriends in due time.

Never get her pregnant. If she says she's on the pill, there's a good chance she isn't. And if she is, there's a good chance she's not taking it reliably enough for it to be effective. So wrap it up, cowboy. (Statistically, 10% of people who have had sex with four+ people have had some kind of STD - no thanks).

Pillow talk is special, sacred, and above all, secret. Repeating those conversations to anyone (your buddies) is grounds for a breakup. A woman's trust is like a catacombed maze - betrayals are not erased, they are only filed away in her mind and heart.

Listen anyway to her talk about things that you don't really care about, benefits that come to you for doing so far out way the small cost of your time. And, don't lie to her. One lie spoils a thousand truths. Once discovered, your lie will be stored in her memory - and she will find out that you lied to her, and you will pay dearly. ---- Don't. Lie. To. Her. Ever. ----

Take birthdays and anniversaries seriously - forgetting either requires serious justification. Give her flowers once a month when dating.

She really wants a "badboy", athlete, or older man to date, and she'll always want that prince to marry - you're not any of them, you never will be. Deal. Make her life better for knowing you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,700,146 times
Those all sound pretty damn good actually. I'll keep them in mind

Old 11-24-2010, 11:17 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,632,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Those all sound pretty damn good actually. I'll keep them in mind
Speaking as an old-timer (same age as OP ), I'd have to agree on all of them except for the one about the "two-step, waltz and polka" - don't know of many situations where an 18-year old would use those.

Maybe it's a Texas thing... Where you grow up influences HOW you grow up. My list would have concerned what gang colors to avoid, how to tell if it's weed or oregano, and learning to hot-wire a Mercedes.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,624,267 times
Yeah, everything is pretty much good standard advice most guys should know. But the know "basic dances: waltz, two-step, polka, etc."...uhhh.... I didn't know 18 yr old men liked taking 80 yr old women out to dance....

Old 11-24-2010, 11:30 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,700,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Yeah, everything is pretty much good standard advice most guys should know. But the know "basic dances: waltz, two-step, polka, etc."...uhhh.... I didn't know 18 yr old men liked taking 80 yr old women out to dance....
Honestly, my dad's told me I should learn how to salsa dance. I try telling him "yeah but girls my age don't really "dance," they just rub their arses against your crotch" but he insists that it'll come in handy.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,859,737 times
I avoided a lot of this advice and things worked out fine. Never been long in Texas though.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:17 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,945 times
wow danbo, impressive list.

The list is pretty old fashioned, but you know what, old fashioned is good. An old fashioned man who follows all those things is a hell of a lot better then a "modern" man who doesn't give two ****s about anyone but himself.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
My advice to a dating young man - treat a woman like a person. Not like a china teacup. It's amazing how many times men who think they are being nice just come off as condescending. Acting like we're helpless morons is not 'nice.'

Old 11-25-2010, 02:43 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,211,658 times
That God exists and that public schools lied to him for 12 years of his short life.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:23 AM

63 posts, read 115,423 times
"Every girl has a past, it's the one's looking to the future you want." - Great advice from my G-PA

I see the truth in it, but these days it seems very few girls are looking toward the future until it has already arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships