Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 PM

21 posts, read 49,135 times

Advertisements

This ties in somewhat with my thread about dating someone with spoiled kids.
Have any of you had experience dating someone with a lot of past abandonment/abuse issues. My current GF along with the issues with the kids suffered a lot of it in her past.

Within a couple weeks of meeting my she told me that both her bio dad and then her adoptive dad had both abandoned her before she was 9 years old. Seems her Mom who is on marriage #4 had a lot of guys in and out of her life growing up. She was left home alone overnight with her younger brother while her mom partied. She said she was only like 10 when this happened.

Her first serious BF drugged and sexually assaulted her. Her next BF physically abused her. When he found out she was pregnant he left her.

Next guy she ended up marrying. Although she said she was scared of him because she thought he was into weird devil worship or something. She still married him and she ended up divorcing him after he cheated on her.

She has never had any kind of therapy that I know of. She suffers from anxiety and used to have panic attacks. She said that all started when she was young.

I'm sure this ties into why she spoils her kids so much and is so attached to them. She told me she wanted kids because she wanted someone to love and to love her.

She does show signs of jealousy quite often.

Have any of you been involved with someone with this kind of past?
How did it work or not work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,309 times
She does need professional therapy. Shes just a textbook case of an insecure/clingy attachment type. Here: "
Anxious-preoccupied attachment

People who are anxious or preoccupied with attachment tend to agree with the following statements: "I want to be completely emotionally intimate with others, but I often find that others are reluctant to get as close as I would like. I am uncomfortable being without close relationships, but I sometimes worry that others don't value me as much as I value them." People with this style of attachment seek high levels of intimacy, approval, and responsiveness from their partners. They sometimes value intimacy to such an extent that they become overly dependent on their partners—a condition colloquially termed clinginess. Compared to securely attached people, people who are anxious or preoccupied with attachment tend to have less positive views about themselves. They often doubt their worth as a partner and blame themselves for their partners' lack of responsiveness. People who are anxious or preoccupied with attachment may exhibit high levels of emotional expressiveness, worry, and impulsiveness in their relationships."

She basically craves attention like its water, and will never be satisfied. She fears abandonment and will overreact to what she percieves is a lack of attention. She will be clingy. I don't think your prepared for this, she has to settle her own issues before she can be in a healthy relationship.

You gotta be happy with yourself before you can be happy with another.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,965,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedguy1032 View Post
This ties in somewhat with my thread about dating someone with spoiled kids.
Have any of you had experience dating someone with a lot of past abandonment/abuse issues. My current GF along with the issues with the kids suffered a lot of it in her past.

Within a couple weeks of meeting my she told me that both her bio dad and then her adoptive dad had both abandoned her before she was 9 years old. Seems her Mom who is on marriage #4 had a lot of guys in and out of her life growing up. She was left home alone overnight with her younger brother while her mom partied. She said she was only like 10 when this happened.

Her first serious BF drugged and sexually assaulted her. Her next BF physically abused her. When he found out she was pregnant he left her.

Next guy she ended up marrying. Although she said she was scared of him because she thought he was into weird devil worship or something. She still married him and she ended up divorcing him after he cheated on her.

She has never had any kind of therapy that I know of. She suffers from anxiety and used to have panic attacks. She said that all started when she was young.

I'm sure this ties into why she spoils her kids so much and is so attached to them. She told me she wanted kids because she wanted someone to love and to love her.

She does show signs of jealousy quite often.

Have any of you been involved with someone with this kind of past?
How did it work or not work?
That is EXACTLY the kind of woman I always avoided when I was dating. If two weeks into meeting her she started talking about being abandoned before she turned 9 years old, I would instantly put her into the "I'll just bang this chick but nothing more" category and NOT in the "Possible Relationship material" category.

Women with emotional/mental issues are not worth dating.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That is EXACTLY the kind of woman I always avoided when I was dating. If two weeks into meeting her she started talking about being abandoned before she turned 9 years old, I would instantly put her into the "I'll just bang this chick but nothing more" category and NOT in the "Possible Relationship material" category.

You are truly a disgusting human being. Anyone who takes advantage of a vulnerable person with these issues "I'll just bang this chick..." is simply a vulture.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:19 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,965,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
You are truly a disgusting human being. Anyone who takes advantage of a vulnerable person with these issues "I'll just bang this chick..." is simply a vulture.
Who said anything about taking advantage of them? I just said that I would no longer consider her to be relationship material. The fact that we are at least going out means that I find her somewhat attractive and she feels the same about me. We are adults and as such, sexually active, so YES, Id have sex with her but would be up front about never wanting a relationship.

You must have been "abandoned" or you have "issues" that you are dealing with today that result from whatever happened to you as a child.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:06 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laotzumindfu View Post
women with emotional/mental issues are not worth dating.
qft.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:55 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
qft.
What does that stand for? "Quit f*cking talking?" "Queen feels troubled"? "Quest for treasure"?

Old 12-04-2010, 05:58 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,167 times
Quote:

If you think a chick has issues, the quickest way to get her to go crazy on you is to have sex with her. Probably will get you involved with her drama just as much as having a relationship will.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:18 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,997,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
The world is made of three people. Those who are vultures, the vulture wannabes and the last group. Their prey. You do not want to be eaten be a vulture its a cruel world out there and it won't be changing any time soon.

Quote:
If you think a chick has issues, the quickest way to get her to go crazy on you is to have sex with her. Probably will get you involved with her drama just as much as having a relationship will.
The quickest way of getting her crazy on you is to spend a lot of time with her. Once you have sex with her and avoid her like the plague. She'll get the message and she is used to it. So nothing bad will happen, however for the poor sap who stays after sex......hehehe I would not want to be him.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:20 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:

sigh

Compiling a mental list of all emotional/mental issues. <evil grin>

'If you think a chick has issues, the quickest way to get her to go crazy on you is to have sex with her. Probably will get you involved with her drama just as much as having a relationship will.'

'The quickest way of getting her crazy on you is to spend a lot of time with her. Once you have sex with her and avoid her like the plague. She'll get the message and she is used to it. So nothing bad will happen, however for the poor sap who stays after sex......hehehe I would not want to be him.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships