Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times

Advertisements

Who here sometimes feels like a loner? Maybe you're truly alone, with your only social interactions coming from saying hi to your coworkers and the pizza delivery guy. Maybe you have a few friends, but they're not always there for you, and you certainly don't have a sweet lady / wonderful man by your side. Whatever your situation, you feel alone and it may or may not bug you.

I'm sitting here in my room at 10PM on a Saturday night. Some might say not just any Saturday night, but the night of the first day of the new year. There are people out there laughing, living and loving, having a party for the second day in a row. Perhaps 'sampling some goods' from a looker they met at another party. Maybe spending the night in, sharing cheese and fine wine with a significant other. And you know what? This is how the majority of my Saturday nights have been for about five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 08:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Who here sometimes feels like a loner? Maybe you're truly alone, with your only social interactions coming from saying hi to your coworkers and the pizza delivery guy. Maybe you have a few friends, but they're not always there for you, and you certainly don't have a sweet lady / wonderful man by your side. Whatever your situation, you feel alone and it may or may not bug you.

I'm sitting here in my room at 10PM on a Saturday night. Some might say not just any Saturday night, but the night of the first day of the new year. There are people out there laughing, living and loving, having a party for the second day in a row. Perhaps 'sampling some goods' from a looker they met at another party. Maybe spending the night in, sharing cheese and fine wine with a significant other. And you know what? This is how the majority of my Saturday nights have been for about five years.
You sound like you don't like the arrangement. If you are not happy then change your circumstances - you are the only one who can.

There is nothing wrong with being a "loner" if that is what truly makes you happy. But spending your life alone when that is not what you want is not a good or healthy thing. It's all up to you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-01-2011, 08:43 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,308,162 times
Quote:

Nah, you aren't a loner. You are just smart. Who wants to be out driving around with all the drunks tonight. I just took a DVD back and was glad to get home! You better get where you are going and stay there cause your driving SUCKS BALLS!!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 08:44 PM

You're right, I don't like it. I'd change my circumstances, but how? Amazon's been out of stock on the Manual For Life, and nobody will lend me a copy.

Axle I'd rather be staying where I am, sure, but with someone :/

Old 01-01-2011, 08:50 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,035,700 times
#1 If you feel like a loner then you aren't. You are just starved for social interactions. A true loner doesn't give a F if they are alone or not. That is a real loner, someone who is content with themselves and where they are at no matter where they end up at because it is of their choosing. So, if you are a "woe is me" loner then you are not really a loner. You are just someone who needs more social interactions.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:03 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,601 times
Quote:
You're right, I don't like it. I'd change my circumstances, but how? Amazon's been out of stock on the Manual For Life, and nobody will lend me a copy.

Axle I'd rather be staying where I am, sure, but with someone :/
You wish to change your circumstance? You might find that the new circumstance is less than you have now. But whatever, here you go. Move to someplace completely different. Quit your job, sell anything too big to carry and head out. I guarantee you by next year your circumstances will look entirely different.

Being in a rut is of your own choosing while you live in a free country like the US. You are free to head to Alaska, Florida, Texas or even that hell hole known as SOCAL (joke). You can even head overseas. Who knows? You may find the love of your life in the process.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:23 PM

I'm not gonna just drop everything I'm doing and move somewhere just to make some friends.

I might go abroad for a semester though.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:38 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,035,700 times
Abroad? What does that mean, overseas?

Old 01-01-2011, 09:44 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,996,094 times
I know just how you feel, being in on a Saturday night when you want to party with friends the whole night through. To be honest, I had to settle for an early Mexican dinner and a strawberry margarita w/ my friend and her boyfriend since I had work early the next morning.

Anyways, the other posters are right on the money: if you don't like your situation, change it! You can only change your circumstance and make it better. One small solution is to do some traveling. Check out the Megabus website and take a day or two trip to Philly, Baltimore, Boston or NYC...book in advance and get their dollar deals, it's worth it! A friend of mine had told me about the bus service one night and I was off to Boston the next morning. To say the least, it was wonderful! Sometimes you just have to break the cycle, get out there, and seize life by the b***s!! Don't be afraid to take chances, risks!!! I'm in college now and don't really talk or hang out with many people...few really; yet, I yearn to be more social and go out on the town. Crazy isn't it? Does your work/living/school situation allow you to interact with others on a regular basis? If so, take advantage of it as much as you possibly can. Join a club or do a recreation activity that you like that allows you to meet people.

Besides, if it's fun parties or a quiet night relaxing and drinking wine you want, you should come talk to me. You look pretty cute in the picture you posted on the "what do y'all look like" forum...hope you're of legal age (18+), preferably at least 21. I don't do minors.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Abroad? What does that mean, overseas?
With any luck, London

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
I know just how you feel, being in on a Saturday night when you want to party with friends the whole night through. To be honest, I had to settle for an early Mexican dinner and a strawberry margarita w/ my friend and her boyfriend since I had work early the next morning.

Anyways, the other posters are right on the money: if you don't like your situation, change it! You can only change your circumstance and make it better. One small solution is to do some traveling. Check out the Megabus website and take a day or two trip to Philly, Baltimore, Boston or NYC...book in advance and get their dollar deals, it's worth it! A friend of mine had told me about the bus service one night and I was off to Boston the next morning. To say the least, it was wonderful! Sometimes you just have to break the cycle, get out there, and seize life by the b***s!! Don't be afraid to take chances, risks!!! I'm in college now and don't really talk or hang out with many people...few really; yet, I yearn to be more social and go out on the town. Crazy isn't it? Does your work/living/school situation allow you to interact with others on a regular basis? If so, take advantage of it as much as you possibly can. Join a club or do a recreation activity that you like that allows you to meet people.

Besides, if it's fun parties or a quiet night relaxing and drinking wine you want, you should come talk to me. You look pretty cute in the picture you posted on the "what do y'all look like" forum...hope you're of legal age (18+), preferably at least 21. I don't do minors.
It's a bit hard for me to interact with people at my school since I'm a commuter. This semester it was OK, but next semester I'm gonna be waking up at around 6:30 (my morning routine takes ages) and I don't have a single class that goes past 3PM. As any commuter will tell you, that makes it a nightmare for getting involved on campus :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships