Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:09 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I also notice, and there was a post on here....that so many "vegans" or "vegetarians" will "take a break from it" and have some of someone's delicious steak or chicken or such, so what's up with that? If it's wrong or bad for them to eat meat, why is it okay for them to take a break from it, but they will shove their antagonistic stuff in your face anytime they feel they want to, like this so-called date!
I personally have never gone back to eating meat (20 years and counting). Once I made the decision, that was it.

There are people who will decide to go vegetarian and after a few years (often 2 years...it's a common mark) decide to go back to eating meat. Some will never return to vegetarianism again, some will. A person who considers themselves vegetarian but eats meat "once in a while" is not, by definition, a vegetarian.

I don't prostelyze to anyone, frankly, I could care less what you eat or don't eat. I don't judge you for it and I don't expect you to judge me (too late, you already have ).

My husband should not eat much, if any, meat for his health - his doctors have instructed him as such. So I will get on his case about it, but I don't claim to have any say in what anyone else eats.

The girl the OP described is probably a nice enough person. By her actions, she cares deeply about environmentalism and probably many other issues. We should applaude her for trying to inform herself and giving a damn. But she needs to tone it down. She is a bit overzealous and maybe misguided and her eagerness is clearly a turn-off to many. She'll find her way eventually (we can hope!) and in the meantime she is treading as lightly on the earth as she can, no fault in that .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,308 times
Update

Got an email from her... subject line: "Help stop BP from increasing dumping in Lake Michigan"

Old 08-08-2007, 07:25 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Top of the morning to ya DC!

I would send her back a picture of a Big Mac or something.
But I'm mean.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:27 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
Top of the morning to ya DC!

I would send her back a picture of a Big Mac or something.
But I'm mean.
Now you're giving me some ideas...

I'm not as mean as you, so I'll send her a pic of Filet Mignon...

Old 04-16-2011, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,861 times
The apple thing is NOT a vegan issue.

To be vegan is to not exploit animals...

Old 04-16-2011, 01:00 PM

52,272 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I just couldn't date a vegan.

I respect their POV. It's just not for me.

I probably could handle a vegetarian a little more easily.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:40 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
I can't be with somebody who isn't somewhat flexible with their culinary habits. That includes carnivores who won't touch vegetables/fruits. Or people who won't eat seafood. And vegans.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:41 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
I didn't fully understand what a vegan was until I took a class where a vegan student gave a speech on veganism.

I knew they were a more extreme vegetarian, but I didn't realize just how extreme they were until the vegan student gave the speech.

How can anyone live that way?

There's nothing wrong with being a vegetarian. Their only limitation is they don't eat meat. But veganism goes beyond food...it dictates your lifestyle. They can't even use anything with leather. I'm sitting on a leather chair as I type this. And there are very few foods that a vegan can eat. There's a long list of foods they can't eat.

At least with vegetarians, the rules are simple: No meat, but anything else is fair game. There are plenty of non-meat foods.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:47 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I didn't fully understand what a vegan was until I took a class where a vegan student gave a speech on veganism.

I knew they were a more extreme vegetarian, but I didn't realize just how extreme they were until the vegan student gave the speech.

How can anyone live that way?
Because they want to.

I'm not vegan, but I am a vegetarian.

If y'all meat-eaters don't want to date a vegan or vegetarian, that's fine with us. We won't miss either your gaseous emissions or the dopey things your atherosclerotic brains occasionally belch out through your keyboards and/or mouths about us.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:54 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I'm more concerned about them being adventurous with different types of cuisine than them being vegan, vegetarian, or carnivorous. I like ethnic foods - pretty much all ethnic foods. It would be really tough with me to be with someone that didn't like sushi or Indian food or Mexican food. I also love Ethiopian food and Thai food and Korean food. Being a vegan would make it tougher - but as long as they weren't constantly critisizing my food choices, I think I might be alright. That being said, I've been a vegetarian before and my husband is a huge carnivore. I think between the two of us - I would be more of a problem than he would!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships