Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:17 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,365 times

Advertisements

I am amazed on how many blind (Internet Personals) Dates many of my friends go on without any type of personal connection. It is amazing to me how intelligent College Educated professionals- who have so much in common on paper, can meet so many people- who have been pre-selected, but still have such a miserable time when they meet.

When I was single, I meet a number of people through the personals and while the dates were not perfect I could tell you specifically why they did not work out. None of my friends who are dating can give me a reason why they did not like any of their dates.

Give us something SPECIFIC about why you did not like the people you meet in a blind date.

Last edited by Dingler; 07-18-2007 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 07:43 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,981 times
Let's say you chat on-line, your personalities gel and then you go for a real life meeting and the person has the WORST eating habits, or maybe sniffs every 2 seconds, or even wrinkles their glasses back up their noses and looks like a rat. Those kind of things are so SILLY but they are a huge turn off. Sometimes I meet someone and the vibes are just off. No chemistry period. Sometimes this person is just PERFECT but if it ain't there, it ain't there.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 AM

47 posts, read 150,019 times
The reason that stands out more then anything is when a man/woman wearing a bottle of what they think smells good. Smelling good is one thing.... but wearing a bottle of it is another thing. We all want to look & smell our best.... but c'mon now.

Another one that rings a bell... would be sitting with someone who used to talk your ear off on the phone or type until their hands fell off... but now they can't seem to say two words... a lot of it I think is the "physical" end of it.... people might be going into it "expecting" something... or in other words looking foward to something and being disappointed.

There are times you can talk with someone for just a few mins and know that it would never work out... it's just "that" feeling. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense and is something along the lines of why your friends can't explain the reason "why" to you....

Old 07-18-2007, 08:02 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Holly* View Post
Another one that rings a bell... would be sitting with someone who used to talk your ear off on the phone or type until their hands fell off... but now they can't seem to say two words...
.....maybe they are just really really shy first time in person! I'm doomed!! /cry

Old 07-18-2007, 08:28 AM

549 posts, read 2,384,600 times
I feel some people nowadays(maybe because of shorter-attention spans) do not give the other's person another shot. Sometimes the chemistry is not always going to develop instantanously, but needs time and nurturing to develop it. At the same time there are people who "clicked" initially but the relationship eventually withered.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,894 times
I ONLY go on blind dates if the woman is treating - other than that I do not bother ..... LOL

Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
I had a "blind date" once but I broke up with her because her German Shephard guide-dog didn't like me...

Old 07-18-2007, 11:00 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,244 times
I think people are sometimes on different wavelengths when it comes to conversation. I meet lots of girls who will get off on one particular topic, and whittle the conversation down to "me, me, me".

Don't get me wrong; I understand my role, as a guy, is to listen to what a girl wants to talk about. So, if I'm going to be spending a lot of my time listening to her talking, she'd better have some interesting things to say.

So to sum up: Its OK if girls like to talk. It's not OK if they only talk about themselves.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:09 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,293 times
I've been on 3 blind dates before (2 set up by coworkers and 1 set up by a neighbor). I will never go on a blind date AGAIN!!! None of the guys were guys I would have been attracted to. It was nice of them to think of me, to put the effort into setting me up but never again. I'm married anyways but even if I wasn't I would not do that again.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:33 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times
I think people build up certain expectations when chatting on line and in their mind they have this image of what they think the person is like,
If when meeting the person is not as they expected something inside of them feels a certain disappointment
I know people this has happened to, the person they finally met was nice looking and had a good job and was really nice but they in their mind were expecting something different so they were "turned off"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships