Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 07:09 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
My only indulgence is books, but they are neatly organized and shelved as if a regular library. Otherwise, having 1,000+ would be a nightmare. I also plan to donate the whole lot upon my departure. .......

There is something worse than books and that is diaries. I want to give them their own shelf but a few months ago, I just had to box a lot of them up and stick them in the unpacked boxes closet. Not all of them, mind you, for there are those recently completed, I'm on volume 71 now I think, and those recently unpacked, recently discovered....like the 6 in front of me as I type.

It's like Ray Bradbury's workshop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 12:02 PM

310 posts, read 202,897 times
[quote=TamaraSavannah;52982756]There is something worse than books and that is diaries. I want to give them their own shelf but a few months ago, I just had to box a lot of them up and stick them in the unpacked boxes closet. Not all of them, mind you, for there are those recently completed, I'm on volume 71 now I think, and those recently unpacked, recently discovered....like the 6 in front of me as I type.

Well, you've now inadvertently coaxed a confession out of me. My term is "journals," rather than "diaries." I'm up to Volume 212, having started in 1972. I have space for them in an "annex" library. Note to posterity: my journals are of utterly no historic or literary value; they're just a fun way of jotting down otherwise forgotten emphemera and fleeting moods. I don't use lined pages, just blank space for doodling around.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:27 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
[quote=westegg;52985179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
There is something worse than books and that is diaries. I want to give them their own shelf but a few months ago, I just had to box a lot of them up and stick them in the unpacked boxes closet. Not all of them, mind you, for there are those recently completed, I'm on volume 71 now I think, and those recently unpacked, recently discovered....like the 6 in front of me as I type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Well, you've now inadvertently coaxed a confession out of me. My term is "journals," rather than "diaries." I'm up to Volume 212, having started in 1972. I have space for them in an "annex" library. Note to posterity: my journals are of utterly no historic or literary value; they're just a fun way of jotting down otherwise forgotten emphemera and fleeting moods. I don't use lined pages, just blank space for doodling around.

(Something like that)

I started around 1999. I wished I started earlier but it would have been impossible for there were too many people who wanted to rake me over the coals. I started with one, even though they had been given to me years before, that I picked up at Garden Ridge when shopping with Mom, a blank journal with a tabby cat with a computer mouse in its mouth. At first, I just wrote in it when things of note happened. It took a few years to start writing in them daily.

Fast forward 8 years when I started acting. I started adding pictures that reflected my thoughts. This came out of a requirement that one of my acting Profs had, that when we think of that, we picture this. It has eventually grown to that I write on the right side and put pictures on the left. In a way, it allows me to enter that world, usually a movie world, if only for a second. So, for example, a picture of Sara Evans because......."I keep looking, I keep looking for something more". Or say life is just going from task to task, that's dynamic scheduling......and I use pictures of Batman & Robin, the dynamic duo.... or pictures of Electra Woman and Dyna Girl. But what it means is that I get half the writing out of a standard blank journal.

Half Price books does well by me. I have SEVERAL blank journals just waiting but they are all spirals. Taping into those pictures tends to expand the binding.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:56 PM

I like how creatively we find our own particular way of documenting our lives.

My motive is somewhat existential--even though it's not all very important, I prefer not to have my memories be just a blur, and to have a tangible record of observation. I amaze some people with my apparent total recall of time and place, but it's only because I wrote it down! I assume most people don't do such a thing.

I'm just glad I don't collect things beyond books.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:28 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I could not ever be married to a hoarder, although my husband likes to save things more than I do.

As to journals though, I wish I had journals of every day of my life, since decades of my life are only a blur. I wish I had a glimpse of every day, or even every year.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I could not ever be married to a hoarder, although my husband likes to save things more than I do.

As to journals though, I wish I had journals of every day of my life, since decades of my life are only a blur. I wish I had a glimpse of every day, or even every year.

I'm a big fan of the trivial. Sometimes these bits of once minor info can seem vividly important decades later, bringing to life a vanished time. It's all in the details, you can say.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:56 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
I don't think my husband is a hoarder but he likes things just out ... and I am a neatfreak. There is no reason why a belt needs to be on the dresser - put it in a drawer. There is no reason why a sneaker needs to be in the middle of the floor - put it away (not only that, our dog eats everything!) ... I am always picking up all the little things he leaves out & about.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:04 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
No amount of money could make me live with a hoarder. It would drive me batty and create a lot of drama. I did date a borderline hoarder once. Never again. Although, he did get better as our relationship went on letting me clean up his messes and organizing it, he would constantly ask me where this or that, some of the stuff that was useless, I threw out without him knowing just because it was creating clutter. It didn't help that he shared his home with a roommate. They both had a bunch of junk stored in the spare bedroom so full I could barely walk into it.

We broke up for other reasons. He had some unresolved anger issues and would lash out verbally threatening to break things. That and a couple other things. I couldn't deal with his issues anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships