Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,405,303 times

Advertisements

In your personal relationships? Not in business, in business it is acceptable, it is understood that if I need you more than you need me then I will be the one to chase you, to always do the follow up, etc, to cater to your needs. There are those in business that go against this rule and they are true mench's, imo. But in our personal lives we are most of us not so gallant when we should be. A lot of us can shift the focus back to ourselves, to our own interests faster than you can say, "No, not you, ME!" Let's face it, you wanna engage someone, most any someone, don't tell them your story, but ask them to spare no details as they fill you in on all the wondrous, enigmatic twists and turns, ironic developments of their sagas.

And truly ironic of course, is the only true way that I've ever found to dependably "get" from others is to "give" without expecting a return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 02:36 PM

199 posts, read 491,116 times
I am the opposite of selfish but on the other hand if you act selfish towards me then dont expect me to be giving towards you.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Let's face it, you wanna engage someone, most any someone, don't tell them your story, but ask them to spare no details as they fill you in on all the wondrous, enigmatic twists and turns, ironic developments of their sagas.
You're not talking about selfishness; you're talking about great conversationalists!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You're not talking about selfishness; you're talking about great conversationalists!
You should start a thread, it might be the most enduring of all time, the ... "Tell us YOUR story" thread.. and please do not be humble, or economical!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasWritten View Post
I am the opposite of selfish but on the other hand if you act selfish towards me then dont expect me to be giving towards you.

Yep, been in a couple of those situations. (Stand Offs)

Old 01-30-2011, 03:48 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,146,066 times
Not normally but I am if I need to.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,309 times
I must have ADD because i seem to be the only one who went cross eyed trying to read the OPs post.

But staying on track, I think I am selfish, but less then the average person. I think the average person is significantly selfish, and it makes sense.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,353 times
I think I should be more selfish and self-absorbed. It seems like that's the only way you can get people to befriend you these days when you make people do the things you want and make yourself seem a lot more important than you really are. Being selfless, humble and caring for everyone else rather than yourself leaves everyone to s--t on you make you look like a bad guy when you no longer can please people.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
I had a little trouble understanding the OP, but I'll try and respond to what I think it is the question.

I am very giving and loving with those I care about. I am fiercely loyal to those I love and respect. Different relationships will have different levels of expectation. But I will kick into "me" mode when my needs are not being met or when it becomes a sacrifice rather than a united effort. I believe that's the way of it for most people. We enter into relationships for how they enhance our lives, first and foremost. That is a selfishness that I see nothing wrong with.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
We enter into relationships for how they enhance our lives, first and foremost. That is a selfishness that I see nothing wrong with.
Well said. Relationships are not charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships