Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:51 PM

21 posts, read 21,199 times

Advertisements

.....Hello, How's everyone doing today?
.....Well, first off let me introduce myself. My name is Daniel, I'm 16 years old and a sophomore in high school, I've never had a girlfriend. To be honest, I'm not very good at making friends, which may have lead to the fact of not being even close to have a girlfriend.
.....I've just recently moved to Indianapolis, so things are worse now, I've been living here for 2 weeks now and I still don't have a friend, mainly because I don't know how to become friends with them...

.....It all starts two weeks ago, my first day at this school. It's pretty much like "no one to talk, everybody to fear". So I go to my class and there is this girl, and for some weird reason we have all the classes together, and since the very first day I started to like her. She is just different than the other girls, I just cannot put into words how I feel about her.
.....So I've already talked to her like 3 times or so but it was just little things (i.e What the hell is wrong with this teacher?). The problem isn't talking to her itself, it's more like WHEN and WHAT am I gonna say.
.....It's easy to say: "Just man up and ask her out". Well, I can't actually do that, here is why:
1 - If I knew what I was gonna say I would have already "man up" and gone talk to her but she is always surrounded by her friends (wonder if she is a gangsta).
2 - I can't just ask someone out out of the blue, I'm sorry but It just doesn't work this way for me, It's gotta be some kind of intellectual connection first.

.....So finally my questions:

1 - I know I should go up to her and start a conversation. Although it's not as easy as it sounds. To start a conversation you need a subject, Of course I could just ask something about some class but I've already done that, didn't quite work out because after she answers that, pff you're out of subject again. What do you people talk about with girls? I really don't know when is the new Lady Gaga song coming out. I can play guitar, this is a subject isn't it?

2 - The only time I'm able to talk to her without her friends around It's at the end of school, for about 5 minutes we walk the same way. I myself think this is the best time to talk to her, although it's only for a short period of time. At least it doesn't have "the herd" around.

We're 16 years old by the way!

That's it! I can just thank you for reading it all and still have the will and energy to answer. Hope everyone has a nice valentine's day... Sorry, I tend to write too much

Spoiler
Valentine's day... Failing for over 16 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:30 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
I know how you feel, I was in your shoes once. Frankly you should focus on getting to know people in general. 99% of the time I make conversation with a person I don't really know what I'm gonna say, I just say it. It's the art of small talk and it's something that you are either naturally gifted with or have to work for.

Let me just think... this girl in my math class I'm interested in... today we exchanged pleasantries, asked how each other's weekend was, I asked her if she saw the grammies, how her sorority social was, things like that. Did some mutual bitching about how the building was very hot (which was bad because practically everyone was wearing parkas). Just... things like that.

This other girl in my communication class, the first thing I asked her (I was the first one in the classroom and she was the second) was "you're here for Comm right?" And it just sorta went from there. Asked her who she was, if she lives on campus, etc. Things like that.

And yeah you're probably sitting there thinking "well **** I can't possibly think of all those things." That's exactly what I used to think, and again you really just need to practice. I know that can be especially daunting in that detention facility they call high school, but don't forget that in about 2 years you'll be done with all that bull**** and nobody's gonna remember/care about any awkward things you said to them.

e: Also don't get so fixated on having a girlfriend. You're 16, you've got your whole life ahead of you, and you'll probably find it easier to meet women in college.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielIN View Post
.....Well, first off let me introduce myself. My name is Daniel, I'm 16 years old and a sophomore in high school, I've never had a girlfriend. To be honest, I'm not very good at making friends, which may have lead to the fact of not being even close to have a girlfriend.
.....I've just recently moved to Indianapolis, so things are worse now, I've been living here for 2 weeks now and I still don't have a friend, mainly because I don't know how to become friends with them...

.....It all starts two weeks ago, my first day at this school. It's pretty much like "no one to talk, everybody to fear". So I go to my class and there is this girl, and for some weird reason we have all the classes together, and since the very first day I started to like her. She is just different than the other girls, I just cannot put into words how I feel about her.
.....So I've already talked to her like 3 times or so but it was just little things (i.e What the hell is wrong with this teacher?). The problem isn't talking to her itself, it's more like WHEN and WHAT am I gonna say.
.....It's easy to say: "Just man up and ask her out". Well, I can't actually do that, here is why:
1 - If I knew what I was gonna say I would have already "man up" and gone talk to her but she is always surrounded by her friends (wonder if she is a gangsta).
2 - I can't just ask someone out out of the blue, I'm sorry but It just doesn't work this way for me, It's gotta be some kind of intellectual connection first.

1 - I know I should go up to her and start a conversation. Although it's not as easy as it sounds. To start a conversation you need a subject, Of course I could just ask something about some class but I've already done that, didn't quite work out because after she answers that, pff you're out of subject again. What do you people talk about with girls? I really don't know when is the new Lady Gaga song coming out. I can play guitar, this is a subject isn't it?

2 - The only time I'm able to talk to her without her friends around It's at the end of school, for about 5 minutes we walk the same way. I myself think this is the best time to talk to her, although it's only for a short period of time. At least it doesn't have "the herd" around.

That's it! I can just thank you for reading it all and still have the will and energy to answer. Hope everyone has a nice valentine's day... Sorry, I tend to write too much

Spoiler
i'm super... thanks for asking

-Ask questions that cannot be answered by Yes or No.

-ask her questions about herself. does she have stickers of some band on her stuff?

be cool. ask a question, be interested - listen, say talk to you later and then go.

rib her ever so gently. not - damn those boots are ugly - but 'hey can i come milk cows with you later, i see you got your cow milking boots on'

poke fun at yourself. like im totally skinny but i'll ask her if she knows a good veterinarian. she'll look confused and ask why and then you flex and say 'cuz these pythons are sick'

remember what she said (dude - this is so huge right here, i should charge you for this) then next time you talk to her bring it up- hey i rmemeber you said you liked xxxxxx, well i saw them on tv the other night that song is real tight.

alot of the people who you see walking around with women on their arms today were absolute failures at meeting girls in highschool. this is where you learn what works and what doesnt. first you will learn what doesnt. then you will leanr what does.

have a nice day tomorrow

Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
Good advice from mym, although caveat emptor: that line about the pythons (and other such jokes) could work well or fall flat like the Hindenburg. As you get older, it starts leaning heavily toward the latter.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:53 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
First off, have introductions been made (i.e., have you told her your name and she hers)?

At this point, you need a friendship more than a girlfriend. You're in a good position to develop one. Since you take many of the same classes, how about studying together? Since you're new, you can ask about classes that are a continuation from the prior semester. At some point you can then exchange some background info. You - where you were from, what it was like, etc. Her - what's it like here, did she grow up here, etc. Work the friendship first.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:10 PM

164 posts, read 211,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielIN View Post

Spoiler
If I were you... I would talk to her in the 5 minutes after school... and tell her that I like her and want to know her better... and ask her out for a drink.
I know you said it don't work like that for you... but... sorry you gotto man up here. If you really like the girl... she needs to see you have balls. So you need to ask her out... directlly and confident... that what I always do... and it always works.
Good luck, man.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,085,077 times
Well like the lottery slogan "you can't win if you don't play"

However, they don't advertise only 1 out of 8 tickets win!

You're new, nobody knows you and you want your first friendship to be a dating one? Sigh this is a tough one. I had been the new kid several times in my school career. You're an outsider no matter what. Everything you do is critiqued.

There was a commercial a few years back where the kids mom gave him money to buy a snack for everybody that just made me cringe because my mom did that and It didn't turn out like in the commercial.

I would give some serious thought to just trying to find some common ground with her. Like one harmless question a day as you're alone walking with her.

How long has she lived there.
Where's the good pizza?
Which mall has a music store that might sell guitar strings?
Where does everybody hang out on weekends?
Do you like rock, rap, what?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Well like the lottery slogan "you can't win if you don't play"
Exactly. You wanna make a girlfriend... ask her out... duh That doesn't mean she will say yes... but she might You gotto try your luck...

Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM

21 posts, read 21,199 times
Hey, Thanks for all the answers! Will answer one-by-one!

@HurricaneDC
Thanks! I'll try to talk to her a little bit more. Gotta be careful so I don't annoy her

@mym
That's good! I'll definitely look up on the internet for something she says like music, book or movie. Thanks!
I don't think those jokes would work out, she's kinda nerd... Should probably say some joke like:
[i]"A neutron walks into a bark and asks: "How much for a drink?" The bartender replied: "For you? No charge""[i] haha it's kinda dorky

@akck
Ye, I know her name and she knows my name too. I've already talked to her like 3 times.
About the studying together thing, I don't know, I'm just an acquaintance to her. Thanks!

@Dark_analist
It really doesn't. Let me put this way, if you were a girl and a guy you've only talked 3 times asked you out, would you say yes? Chances are way lower. I might do this as last resort. Thanks!

@optiflex
Here is different, people don't notice me. It's just another person among them...
Those are great questions, I'll make a huge algorithm tonight with all this questions I'm gathering. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_analist View Post
Exactly. You wanna make a girlfriend... ask her out... duh That doesn't mean she will say yes... but she might You gotto try your luck...
Oh doubt thou art a heartless *****
Can't shot in the dark like that yet!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 PM

If you would have asked how to befriend this girl... I would have answered something totally different. Most of the posts you liked... will only help you befriend her. I also think chances are low for her to go out with you.... but... you asked how to make her your GF. I think this is the only way(even if chances are slim). In my opinion... in your situation... you need a friend a lot more than you need a GF.
But still... I tried to answer to your question(how to make her you GF). I think asking her out is the only way... and I also think chances are slim for her to say yes.
If I were you... I would probably try to make a good friend out of her. Nothing more. There's nothing wrong with that. You just met her... so you shouldn't like her so much... as to want her as a GF and nothing else.
My advice to you: If you want her to be your GF(and will have it no other way) ... ask her out(shoot in the dark). If you don't care that much.... try to make a simple friend out of her. You're new there.... you need all the friends you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships