Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you see yourselfs?
Totally independent from men 18 46.15%
Mostlly independent from men 16 41.03%
A little independent from men 3 7.69%
Mostlly dependent on men 1 2.56%
Totally dependent on men 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 AM

28,964 posts, read 30,316,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Yes, as far as the living in the wilderness thing, I could survive better than many men. How do I know? I have grown up outside...fishing, making fires, sleeping on the beach or in the woods, climbing trees, catching bait, eating what I catch fishing.... Where I live everyone could survive. Can city dwellers say the same? I, however, would probably have a hard time surviving in an urban setting..lol. Now, as an adult, I work in a city, but I am still most comfortable outside.
I agree, cuz I'm the same as you, however, people survive, b/c they have to....and the point is, in my way of thinking...it's not as much about independence as why do people get married, or live together? Because they marry to be taken care of...yes, there is love, but when all that wears off, what's left, a co-dependency? There are couples who do work well together, for life...however, I feel it's because they are mentally compatible....they didn't marry to be taken care of, or to have help with the bills, or so that they do not have to work, or because they don't feel good about themselves, b/c society tells us we have to be a couple to be successful...no we don't.

As far as doing things around the house, my car, etc....if I can't do it, I'll hire someone who can, however, am I going to get married for that reason? Heck no....I to am most comfortable out side...I think it's all in how your raised, and how much effort you wish to put into roughing it...me, I enjoyed roughing it, camping, fishing, cooking over a fire, even hunting...

It's all about how much you wish to depend on someone else for your happiness, I have a girlfriend who says, "I don't do gas"...so she makes her husband go out and fill up her gas tank? I know women, who do nothing to help they're husbands, and what really makes me very angry, is, the woman is home all day long, the husband is out working full time, and more, and she has the nerve to call him and ask him to stop and get groceries, or to take the trash out, or wash the cars....?????? To me, that's just sick and If I were a husband or wife, who did that to me, it would be over but quick. People today forget what companionship is, and sharing responsiblities...and to take advantage of another human being like that, is down right unthinkable...

I know men who are married to women who refuse to work and help out, and the husbands are working full time, but they're wives won't even as much as go out and rake the yard, so that they can have some me time on the weekends....how selfish?

In the same, there are men who treat they're wives the same way...I worked full time, came home, and he was sitting there watching TV, and never started supper, helped me witht the gardening, laundry, cleaning, that was my job?????? I think not. And we never went anywhere, did anything exciting together...he refused....he was a home body...and had no desire to broden his intellect?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,338,432 times
I don't think love wears away. I think it intensifies.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't think love wears away. I think it intensifies.
yes, your right, if you have the right mate, we don't stop loving our children, b/c they did something bad...or we had a disagreement, we don't walk out on them, however, it takes two very mature adults to make a relationship successful....people who haven't married for all the wrong reasons....

yes, love can be rewarding and extremely successful and a comodity, however, if you don't love your self first, if you are unable to allow others, if you refuse to contribute, love can also be a prison, for some....

for me, I never had a good man...so, I have nothing to compare to...but the men in my life were my choices at the time...and I didn't choose so wisely then...I was young, very naieve and immature.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 AM

98 posts, read 189,351 times
I feel I am more than mostly independent of males.

1) I live alone. Pay my own way. No child support. No handouts. I work 6 days a week to make sure I can provide for myself and my child PLUS I go to school 3 days a week.
2) I can change my own oil, change a tire, change headlights, jump start a car, pump my own gas, drive a stick shift, etc. If there is something I can't do to fix my car, I take it to a shop where I'm dependent on the shop and their services, not particularly a man. I've had women work on my car.
3) I carry a handgun (legally with a handgun carrying permit) so I can defend myself against any person.
4) I can fix minor plumbing problems, and most household upkeep including but not limited to: pressure washing my own home, staining, painting, mowing(and I have fixed my mower many times considering I used to build them for a living), weed eating, and basic cleaning. If I can't fix something, I will call a service to do so, which again is dependent on that service company, not necessarily a man.
5) Not to be too forward but I don't need a man to satisfy me in any way, shape, or form because obviously, I can do that well on my own.
6) I get emotional and mental support from my family and friends. I don't have to have a man to give me that and sometimes prefer not too because men just don't really care(most men, not all) half the time.
7) If I'm moving, I call a moving service and pay them to move EVERYTHING so I don't even have to deal with it at all. Even the small stuff bc I hate moving. Again, dependent on the moving company.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, my basement flooded Monday with all the rain and I cleaned all that up myself. No man necessary! =)

If I CHOOSE to have a man in my life, it will be because I enjoy his company, not because of the things he can do for me. I suppose the only time I was ever dependent on a man was when I was growing up, I needed my dad to teach me how to be a productive member of society with manners and values and then when I had my son, because without a man, that wouldn't have been possible.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyccp View Post
I feel I am more than mostly independent of males.

1) I live alone. Pay my own way. No child support. No handouts. I work 6 days a week to make sure I can provide for myself and my child PLUS I go to school 3 days a week.
2) I can change my own oil, change a tire, change headlights, jump start a car, pump my own gas, drive a stick shift, etc. If there is something I can't do to fix my car, I take it to a shop where I'm dependent on the shop and their services, not particularly a man. I've had women work on my car.
3) I carry a handgun (legally with a handgun carrying permit) so I can defend myself against any person.
4) I can fix minor plumbing problems, and most household upkeep including but not limited to: pressure washing my own home, staining, painting, mowing(and I have fixed my mower many times considering I used to build them for a living), weed eating, and basic cleaning. If I can't fix something, I will call a service to do so, which again is dependent on that service company, not necessarily a man.
5) Not to be too forward but I don't need a man to satisfy me in any way, shape, or form because obviously, I can do that well on my own.
6) I get emotional and mental support from my family and friends. I don't have to have a man to give me that and sometimes prefer not too because men just don't really care(most men, not all) half the time.
7) If I'm moving, I call a moving service and pay them to move EVERYTHING so I don't even have to deal with it at all. Even the small stuff bc I hate moving. Again, dependent on the moving company.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, my basement flooded Monday with all the rain and I cleaned all that up myself. No man necessary! =)

If I CHOOSE to have a man in my life, it will be because I enjoy his company, not because of the things he can do for me. I suppose the only time I was ever dependent on a man was when I was growing up, I needed my dad to teach me how to be a productive member of society with manners and values and then when I had my son, because without a man, that wouldn't have been possible.
Great post!

Yes, needing someone to enjoy life with, companionship, travel, compromise, is one thing, but to marry to be taken care of is a whole different ball game....and I believe your parents did well....your very wise and ahead of a lot of others.

It's amazing, how many people get married, b/c they feel, it's they're next step in life, or b/c they're dating someone, right away, family pressures them to get married, society expects people to be married and dictates, that you have to be married to be successful, and you don't.

Instead of parents and family expressing they're hopes of they're children getting married, they should teach they're kids from little up to be dependent on themselves...along with the awareness of what to look for in a mate. That ol saying "you complete me"...well, if your not already completed, no one else can do that....it's not my job to complete my husband, or make him feel better about himself. It's not my job to ignore his bad faults and think that after we're married I can change him? You can't change people....unless they themselves want to change. Parents have lost a great awareness themselves, and that is, the responsiblity to instill in they're children, confidence, and independence....instead of making they're children dependent upon them, they should be teaching they're kids how to make it on they're own....

I taught my son to do everything, laundry, cleaning, shopping, ironing, baking, cooking and encouraged him to travel a lot before he got married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships