Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you see yourselfs?
Totally independent from men 18 46.15%
Mostlly independent from men 16 41.03%
A little independent from men 3 7.69%
Mostlly dependent on men 1 2.56%
Totally dependent on men 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM

164 posts, read 211,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I think your question has to be worded differently, it's kind of confusing. Noone can be "emotionally" independent from another human being, we're wired to crave intimacy and affection. Only someone else can give us that (and then again, those needs can be satisfied in different ways). But a lot of women are financially independent from men. There are also a lot of women who because of life circumstances find themselves alone (i.e. a widow).
I agree... I'm not talking about financiar stuff. Any person can be financiarly independent from any other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,196 times
Even though I have always been in relationships I consider myself pretty independent from a man. I have never shared a joint account with anyone – my money is mine and his is his, and I have never had to borrow a cent off a boyfriend (sadly this hasn’t been reciprocated lol ) or been financially dependent on him in any way.

Emotionally it is nice to have someone to lean on, but a lot of the times this has also been friends for me, both male and female.

I do my own chores, screw in my own lightbulbs and lift my own boxes.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Even though I have always been in relationships I consider myself pretty independent from a man. I have never shared a joint account with anyone – my money is mine and his is his, and I have never had to borrow a cent off a boyfriend (sadly this hasn’t been reciprocated lol ) or been financially dependent on him in any way.

Emotionally it is nice to have someone to lean on, but a lot of the times this has also been friends for me, both male and female.

I do my own chores, screw in my own lightbulbs and lift my own boxes.
nice answer

Old 02-17-2011, 07:48 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,717 times
I consider myself to be fairly independent, I have to be my husband travels for work from February-November. I don't have anyone else but me to rely on when he is gone. I work 40+ hours a week, I take care of the house, yard, animals, bills, appointments, etc etc etc.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 PM

Ohhh.... and for those of you who don't know.... I am medically insane. I am diagnosticated with "bipolar, antisocial, histrionic, narcisitic and borderline" personality disorders.

zdhnfklsdhglijdsf;gksf'kg;ldfjh;ldfjkh;ldfkg'lfsd' ;gkd;lfgkl
P.S. I will no longer activate on this forum seeing as it is so ****ing time consuming. :| damn It's 5 o clock in the morning... **** no. (((((((

Last edited by Dark_analist; 02-17-2011 at 08:07 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Who is it that the OP reminds me of?
I cant put my finger on it, somebody help me out here.......

Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I'm not really sure what you mean by "independent." I lived totally on my own, sans family, roommates, or a significant other, and supported myself totally own my own between the ages of 23 and 30. I dated, casually, but nothing serious, no long-term relationships during those years. Does that make me independent? I assuredly can take care of myself just as any other person living alone and not in a marriage or any other serious relationship, or living with family can do.

I have lived with my SO from age 30-present, and we maintain independent finances, as well as both contributing to some shared expenses. I still work to support myself, but my SO and I do share our lives with one another. We split various household tasks up, and stuff I used to do when it was just me, I now rarely do, and same for him. I never mow the lawn. He rarely goes grocery shopping. We both do laundry and dishes. But when we each lived alone, we each had no problem doing all of the above and more for ourselves, obviously.

I prefer companionship, myself. But that doesn't mean I'm incapable of living on my own. Been there, done that. Life is better, for me, when shared, however.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
I would consider myself independent. I have been single for 5 years, have raised my daughters alone, moved to Europe to take a job alone...how much more independent could one be?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:37 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,507 times
I voted "mostly", if for nothing else I need one for entertainment value.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_analist View Post
My opinion is neither males or females are independent of each other. But as I see most women like to think of themselfs as "independent" (such bull ****)
I think this is very correct,
I can definatly survive and have fun etc with only men company, but I'd always feel something is missing.

This is actually one of the key things that makes me want to have a girlfriend, someone who'll make me feel more complete.

And women without men? just look at the feminism movement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships