Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:25 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,584,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Not really... I can be eating large portions of my favorite dish and hardly gain weigh. A guy at my workplace (he's 22 years old) is in the same situation. He eats sooo much and is still skinny.

I guess it has to do with our ages (he's 22 and I'm almost 24) and fast metabolism.
I think what Whyte Byrd is saying is that every individual person should be allowed to do with their food what they want to. It's no one else's business, whether they're a picky eater, or just don't like to finish. If you want to finish yours, good for you. If he finishes eating halfway through the dish, whether he's full or doesn't enjoy it, that's his business. That sort of attitude of "we must clean our plates" (whether we're full or not) is one that contributes to weight gain. Yes, it's good to choose correct portions, but that's often easier done at home when you choose how much food to prepare, rather than at a restaurant where they typically serve enough for a linebacker. I believe strongly in not wasting, but only a select few restaurants I know of offer reduced portion meals and there are some dinners that simply don't reheat very well.

Additionally, if you are lucky enough to be skinny and have a high metabolism, then that's great for you, but you should understand that it isn't the case for many people.

I would say that for your situation, it might be better if you chose a few places that were reasonably priced to suggest for a first date. I think it's fine to say you'd prefer not to go to the Whataburger, or McDonald's, but perhaps suggest a place like Chili's, Olive Garden, etc, where there are some reasonably priced meals you could order. While I can understand not liking fast food, in a first date situation, there's a reasonable chance you just won't like the person and won't want to see them again. In that case, I think it's kind of crummy to expect the guy to pay for something really costly when you don't intend to see them again.

Or you could solve the problem entirely by paying for the date yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 03:53 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,392,463 times
OP, can you clarify what you consider "crappy, cheap place"? I'm just curious.

I also enjoy good quality food and if my date was to pick a cheap place, it would be an indicator for me that he doesn't have good taste in food. Don't take me to cheap chain restaurants with greasy fries, bad oils and crappy meat.
If I didn't like his choice of a restaurant, I would just tell him point blank: "Let's go somewhere else, I'm not a fan of this restaurant" and come up with my own suggestion.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:55 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,392,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I understand it's frustrating, but when you buy someone or give someone food, it's their business what they do with it. If they eat it all, if they eat one bite, if they make a hat out of it...

You don't get to control what people do with your gifts. That is rude.

I agree.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:00 PM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Wherever it is just don't order a hoagie/sub or a hot dog. The guy might get the wrong idea watching you eat it.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:05 PM

610 posts, read 1,296,285 times
Quote:
how can I informed a man my preferences in food without sounding arrogant? I don't like crappy, cheap places where they serve you the usually menu many people would order (I don't eat anything). Secondly, I once got sick (a real terrible stomache) for several days after eating from a very cheap place.

It's the way I was raised at home and my environment is cleaned. I would prefered a decent place. It doesn't have to be a palace but definitely not a cheap place.

Is there a way I can say this (on a date) without offending the man into thinking I'm picky. Well sometimes I am but for good reasons. It's the same as coming well dressed-up if you're a secretary.
Can't you say something like "My stommach seems overly sensitive to food that's been prepared outside of home, unless the place is a very clean one, I just thought it fair to warn you, since I wouldn't eat at the typical diner..."

However if you intend to use this as an excuse to get classy with what you get from a guy it's gonna shine through fairly quick, just so you know.

Also remember that the pricier you get the harder it is to find a place with an easy atmosphere...

Old 03-05-2011, 04:27 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,084,341 times
I'm curious as well what the OP considers cheap and crappy.

I can understand "crappy" but I've been to some places that look like a hole in the wall but have the best food at very reasonable prices.

I'd also go with the suggestion of doing the inviting and paying...then you can control where you eat.

OR...don't go out for dinner if it's in the beginning stages. Maybe do an activity instead until he gets to know you well enough to know your preferences.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:30 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,084,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
Can't you say something like "My stommach seems overly sensitive to food that's been prepared outside of home, unless the place is a very clean one, I just thought it fair to warn you, since I wouldn't eat at the typical diner..."
If someone said this to me I'd immediately think of that person puking, pooping or farting...

Old 03-05-2011, 04:30 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,647,709 times
Quote:
how can I informed a man my preferences in food without sounding arrogant? I don't like crappy, cheap places where they serve you the usually menu many people would order (I don't eat anything). Secondly, I once got sick (a real terrible stomache) for several days after eating from a very cheap place.

It's the way I was raised at home and my environment is cleaned. I would prefered a decent place. It doesn't have to be a palace but definitely not a cheap place.

Is there a way I can say this (on a date) without offending the man into thinking I'm picky. Well sometimes I am but for good reasons. It's the same as coming well dressed-up if you're a secretary.
I like food too! Many guys I know, including myself don't mind taking you to a nice place as long as we can both agree on what place. If I say that say..... Texas Roadhouse sounds good and your reply is...... "not that cheap place".. it may make me worry. Keep it within reason. Most guys aren't going to take "a date" to the most expensive place in town. One of the best is usually cool though! I like Red Lobster too!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 PM

545 posts, read 1,556,496 times
Quote:

Date a man who values clean food. I don't see why that should be a problem...

Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM

610 posts, read 1,296,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
If someone said this to me I'd immediately think of that person puking, pooping or farting...
well something that makes the person realize that it needs to be a hygienically fresh place... express it however you want...

besides OP is a woman, she's not gonna give any guy the "wrong ideas" too easily in this matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships