Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times

Advertisements

I've always had the great ability to curb my emotions. If somebody doesn't like me romantically, there would be no way that I could continue to like them romantically. This has always made it very easy for me to honor the friendship. If this doesn't sound like something you can do, then I guess you will have to do the next best thing and watch out for your own emotional interests - take a break from the guy until you are able to accept that he doesn't reciprocate your emotions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:17 PM

29 posts, read 38,140 times
Of course it's possible. It takes two mature people, on both ends, willing to deal with those feelings and work through them.

If you do remain his friend, just assume there's a 0% chance he'll ever want more. Assume there is no hope of it turning into more. If you still want to be his friend after assuming that because of what a great friend he might be, then maybe it's worth a shot. If you were sticking around mainly because you were hoping he'll change his mind one day, then end it, since that's false friendship and not fair to either of you.

I'm not a therapist, but I don't agree with the other responses that overwhelmingly say walk away. It depends on the circumstances. As stated above, if you're not really interested in him beyond a romantic experience, then obviously end it. But if he's a great guy that will make a great friend, maybe it's worth riding out your feelings, which will be hard, but perhaps worth it. Perhaps that emotional hardship will build character too...life isn't meant to be easy.

Good friends are hard to come by and shouldn't be so easily cast aside because one party has developed romantic feelings. Men and women can be platonic friends, even if one of them would like more, so long as they're both mature enough to deal with that situation should it arise. And the reality is that in most opposite-sex friendships, I would wager, at least one person at some time or another does want more. It should be assumed going into the friendship (imo) that there will be some point in the friendship where one of you want more. Obviously if you both do and you both know it, then you end up boyfriend/girlfriend and all is well. But if only you do and the other doesn't, you should be capable of dealing with that hurt. And if you don't but the other does, you should be willing to stick by them even if it might be a little awkard for awhile that they feel that way about you. People who aren't willing to do those things imo have no business making anything but casual platonic friends of the opposite sex, because it's just not right to end a close friendship like that.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
A guy that I was recently interested in had moved away a while back and he has a girlfriend now. We are good friends, so it has been pretty easy to not want date him because we have a friendship. However, if we weren't friends and he was just a guy that I was interested in, I definitely would not put too much time into talking and stuff if he had said that he wasn't interested in something like dating or what not.

Don't LOVE from a distance, lol. You'll just be thinking of that person while they are NOT thinking about you. Just know that there are other people out there.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:57 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I've always had the great ability to curb my emotions. If somebody doesn't like me romantically, there would be no way that I could continue to like them romantically. This has always made it very easy for me to honor the friendship. If this doesn't sound like something you can do, then I guess you will have to do the next best thing and watch out for your own emotional interests - take a break from the guy until you are able to accept that he doesn't reciprocate your emotions.
Exactly. It's something you have to do. The way I see it, if they are interested in me enough to want to "go out" then my interest in wanting that from them is pushed out of mind because I don't like the feeling of wanting someone that isn't interested in me. It's like, "Eww, What am I doing?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships