Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:57 PM

109 posts, read 554,640 times

Advertisements

...up to a point that Facebook was installed on the phone for 24 hr access.
Should one be worried about it if no flirt is going on, just obsessed with reading and responding to news feeds? Is it a sign that something is missing in family relationships, seeking attention maybe?

I also wanted to mention that the spouse has an addictive personality, if that makes a difference

Last edited by ukrworld; 03-13-2011 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 02:00 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Mods, can you please put a Facebook sticky thread up top, so all the addicts can huddle and spare us the buggerment

Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,553 times
needs to focus on communicating face to face more instead of digital. Id be pretty pissed and smash every electronic in the house and live semi-amish for a year. LOL how bout try that.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
Maybe the novelty will wear off. I have never had a FB account and never will. I like being able to keep in touch with my friends and classmates, but all the stories about people sharing too much or people requesting you to be their friend when you don't want them to be has kept me away.

Regardless, I wouldn't be concerned. Just let her have her fun.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
What is the problem? Is the spouse ignoring you, OP? Is it taking time away from important things that need to be done?

As for the posters who don't get the "friend" aspect. I have about 100 people who are FB friends that I don't know, don't care to know, and know nothing about - other than they play a game I play. So what?

I also have family and close friends who get different info.

And I play games when I'm taking a break from chores or just to pass time.

I don't watch TV - GASP. Yep, I'm one of the few people who really doesn't care for sitting like a veggie staring at a screen. On the otherhand, I have made friends here online - here at City-Data (and I expect I will be meeting r/t quite a few of my online friends) and other sites.

I don't get what all the fear is. If you talk with someone on the phone, that's considered OK; but chat online and suddenly there's a problem. I don't talk on the phone. Why don't I talk on phones or watch TV? Because I'm deaf. Until just a few years ago, tv wasn't captioned. But I didn't miss it because I NEVER was a big TV watcher. It is a time-sucker. Telephones, later on cell-phones, always made me feel like people were tethered. Big long rope attaching them to their kids, their parents, their spouses. Can't go anywhere without someone calling on it. Sheesh, people, ignore it. That's the nice thing about online - no one knows if you're there or not.

So quit it with the panic over FB. It's no different than TV or a telephone.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
I have Facebook on my phone. Why not, it's free, and it's something to look at while I'm standing in line at the supermarket. Having it on the phone means nothing.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 PM

334 posts, read 528,610 times
@NY Annie - I don't watch TV either! (And I'm also from NY!)

IRT the topic, I recently closed my FB account because I, too, have an addictive personality and my FB addiction was getting out of hand. I have it on my phone and as Onglet said, it's free and it's something to look at during those boring moments of life. (I also have Adult ADD, so I have to be doing something at every given moment or else I'll drive everyone and myself nuts).

As long as it's not taking away from your quality time, your spouse's job responsibilities or any other family relationships, close friendships or any other responsibilities, I'd say leave it alone. It's not a biggie. It's just a past-time. Another form of entertainment and socializing.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:20 AM

324 posts, read 572,738 times
Tell her that technology shouldn't only be a small aspect of her life, NOT her life.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:13 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
(smh) oh my <yawn> another FB thread?? LOL here is my take, if your spouse is that interested in ANY other venue other than you and you're always taking a back seat - it's not FB that is causing issues...

With that said, FB is boring to me... I'm shutting mine down soon ... then maybe later on I'll bring it up again...

Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
If she ignores you, forgets to shower, loses her job, and stops feeding the cat because she's always on FB, then I'd say it's a problem.

But, really? I've got FB, Twitter, Foursquare, Linkedin, etc on my iPhone.

Big deal. I pass the time while waiting in line. I post pics of amusing things I see while out and about. I'm social. Sue me.

Maybe your wife is social, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships