Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 01:25 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,580 times

Advertisements

im taking an interpersonal comm class and we took the meyers brigg personality test. as i thought i tested as a ISTP(introverted, sensing, thinking perceiving).

an istp personality is more conservative and quiet in nature. more analytical, enjoys problem solving and is just a reasonably practical person.

now the guy i share an office with at work is also an introvert, possibly the same type of me. yet with him i can carry on a dialogue with, relax around, etc.

now we have this bubbly extrovert out front i talk to everyday. she is an extrovert, no way around it. she is active, all over the place. i find it hard to open up and sustain a conversation with her.

don't you think its odd that an extrovert like her can make it harder for an introvert like me to talk to her?

youd think her extrovertedness would draw the introvertedness out of me since extrovert is dominant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,350,132 times
I'm extoverted but tend to be an introvert around introverts because it's difficult to carry on a conversation around people who aren't out-going. In a social gathering I tend to move toward other extroverts.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,989,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
im taking an interpersonal comm class and we took the meyers brigg personality test. as i thought i tested as a ISTP(introverted, sensing, thinking perceiving).

an istp personality is more conservative and quiet in nature. more analytical, enjoys problem solving and is just a reasonably practical person.

now the guy i share an office with at work is also an introvert, possibly the same type of me. yet with him i can carry on a dialogue with, relax around, etc.

now we have this bubbly extrovert out front i talk to everyday. she is an extrovert, no way around it. she is active, all over the place. i find it hard to open up and sustain a conversation with her.

don't you think its odd that an extrovert like her can make it harder for an introvert like me to talk to her?

youd think her extrovertedness would draw the introvertedness out of me since extrovert is dominant.

You said it yourself, extrovert is dominant. So an introvert might be getting ready to talk about something this bubbly talkative person mentioned, but by the time you can get a word in, she is off on something else. It might make some people that are very introverted more intimidated or nervous too, so they just remain quiet. I don't think its odd you find it harder to sustain a conversation, or open up to her. You get on better with people that are more relaxed and not monopolizing the conversation. There is nothing odd about that.

I agree with that too, njmike, sometimes it can be hard to talk to someone that will barely talk back. Ya might think, well this guy just doesn't feel like talking, so I'll shut up as well.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
an introvert might be getting ready to talk about something this bubbly talkative person mentioned, but by the time you can get a word in, she is off on something else. It might make some people that are very introverted more intimidated or nervous too, so they just remain quiet. I don't think its odd you find it harder to sustain a conversation, or open up to her. You get on better with people that are more relaxed and not monopolizing the conversation.

I agree.

I am generally a quiet person, and something that bothers me about "extroverted" or really talkative people is that it seems like it doesn't matter who they are talking to, as long as they are talking.

I definitely don't open up about my private life much to people like this, for 3 reasons:

1.) There is never room for me to elaborate. (Nor do they ask questions.)

2.) Because they don't really care about listening to others anyways.

3.) Since they are known to run their mouths to others on a regular basis, they are bound to misinterpret what they weren't listening to in the first place.

Needless to say, I know alot of people with verbal diarrhea...!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,115 times
It is definitely easier for me (as an introvert) to converse with an extrovert.

Have you ever noticed it is easier to play sports well when you are on a team full of good players? They enhance your skills. That's how I feel about social skills as well.

Most of my good friends are good conversation makers. Though not necessarily extroverted, they are not introverts either. They don't blab incessantly - that is just cluelessness.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

<snicker> Stay away from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I'm extoverted but tend to be an introvert around introverts because it's difficult to carry on a conversation around people who aren't out-going. In a social gathering I tend to move toward other extroverts.
What are you? A chamleon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships