Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,356 times

Advertisements

I don't smoke, and after giving it a try out of curiosity a while back, I really can't understand how somebody could do that to their body. I almost died from carbon monoxide poisining when I was young, so to think somebody willingly puts that into their lungs just doesn't make sense to me. Having said that, smoking to me isn't a HUGE dealbreaker...if I liked the guy enough and everything else did it for me, I'll probably overlook the smoking. However, in terms of looking for something long-term, I'd probably have difficulty accepting it, I wouldn't want myself or my future children to be constantly exposed to something that harmful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Are there any nonsmokers who would date a smoker?

I don't smoke, but I don't really care if the women I date smoke, as long as they aren't a very heavy smoker, or smell like an ashtray.
I'm a non smoker, as stated above, and I would date a smoker.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Smoking always was/still is a deal breaker for me, since kissing a smoker can be really gross. The relationship I've been in with a smoker, he always tried to chew gum/brush his teeth before kissing me so it wasn't bad but I wouldn't have expected him to do that all the time forever, and he tried to quit but I don't think he really wanted to.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Deal breaker for me. Never dated a smoker and would even have reservations dating a former smoker. Hotness levels and attraction go way down for me when I see or discover that someone smokes or smoked. I can't explain it, but it's just the way it works for me.
Interesting. Current smoker I can see as a deal breaker, but I find something very endearing about former smokers -- to successfully quit smoking requires a strong will power and desire to better oneself, both of which are traits I look for in a S/O.

However, I do see where you're coming from. The chance of relapse is always a concern...I would make it very clear if I was with a former smoker that picking it back up would be a deal breaker, but if it's a long time down the road and you're already in a vested relationship it may be a difficult deal to break. Still, that could just as easily apply to someone who has never smoked before as it could to a former smoker.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Yes, it's a deal-breaker for me. Always has been and always will be. I would date a former smoker. It's so difficult to quit, and such a major issue for me, that I wouldn't expect someone to quit or be able to quit.
The problem with this, I find, is that a former smoker can very easily become a current smoker.

I'm an inveterate nonsmoker. I never set out to have a relationship with a smoker. I have a serious, long-term relationship with a guy who was a former smoker when we met, and who, well after we began building a life together, had the first of an ongoing series of relapses. I have come to realize that this will probably be a lifelong struggle for him. Am I going to throw away a good relationship over it? Nope. Once you've invested in building a life and future with somebody, things you thought were absolutes can at times have a way of shifting.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
It is for me.

At least around here (and I would suppose even more in other parts of the country), smoking, especially among people under 30 or 40, is seen as a sign of low class. Let me be clear that I don't find "yuppies" attractive either, but I do not want a lower-class girlfriend who insists on staying in that class.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,088 times
Personally, there are sooo many deal breakers for people that I'm sure all of these people who wouldn't date smokers, would probably be undesirable to many for a multitude of other reasons. Personally, it's not possible for me to care any less about someone who wouldn't date me because I smoked. Honestly, I think they did me a favor. So while you're ruling people out because they're smokers, remember people are ruling you out because you have kids, are divorced, don't make enough money, you're overweight etc. etc.

Bottom line, to each his/her own. However, should a man I date ever ask me to quit, I would just ask him two things: What is so darn fabulous about you that I should give up? And what are you giving up for me?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:07 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
Personally, there are sooo many deal breakers for people that I'm sure all of these people who wouldn't date smokers, would probably be undesirable to many for a multitude of other reasons. Personally, it's not possible for me to care any less about someone who wouldn't date me because I smoked. Honestly, I think they did me a favor. So while you're ruling people out because they're smokers, remember people are ruling you out because you have kids, are divorced, don't make enough money, you're overweight etc. etc.

Bottom line, to each his/her own. However, should a man I date ever ask me to quit, I would just ask him two things: What is so darn fabulous about you that I should give up? And what are you giving up for me?
I would not ever ask a lady to quit smoking in order to have a LTR. I just would not ever date her. Nothing required no favors expected or accepted.

Sure, some women would rule me out for many reasons. I am cool with that.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:10 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,356 times
I think there's also a double-standard when it comes to smoking. A man who smokes isn't as undesirable as a female smoker, it's just very unfeminine.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It is for me.

At least around here (and I would suppose even more in other parts of the country), smoking, especially among people under 30 or 40, is seen as a sign of low class. Let me be clear that I don't find "yuppies" attractive either, but I do not want a lower-class girlfriend who insists on staying in that class.
Funny, I attended a private college nor awfully far from where you are, and I would have to say that 2/3 of the people I lived in the dorms with were at least sometime smokers (you notice this when you're not). As a well-regarded, selective, and quite costly liberal arts college in good standing, I'm somehow doubting it was populated entirely by denizen of the lower classes.

I also think a lot of those kids puffing away outside the dorms probably grew up into people who say, "Umm, smoking is so very low class." Even though, despite running marathons and going to yoga class, they still "smoke when they drink." Hah.

I think smoking is just a phase for a lot of people. I don't think it's very class-dependent, necessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships