Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 09:40 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times

Advertisements

What would you consider as being too clingy and not giving you enough space? Wanting to talk every day? Expecting calls to be returned within a few hours? Wanting to meet up everyday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 09:57 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
It depends. Everyones tolerance level is different.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:35 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
When they are constantly in your face, hugging, cuddling up to you etc.

My ex was like that, I could be making a cup of tea or watching telly, leave the room and she would come behind me and start grabbing etc....

It's great at first but it can get slightly annoying!

Old 11-27-2015, 10:43 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
When they are constantly in your face, hugging, cuddling up to you etc.

My ex was like that, I could be making a cup of tea or watching telly, leave the room and she would come behind me and start grabbing etc....

It's great at first but it can get slightly annoying!
That is annoying. Also annoying via text. I had a friend who lived at a distance and we would only get to see each other once a year and her husband would spend the whole weekend texting her to the point it was not enjoyable to be with her. It was just as much her fault for responding though.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:44 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
It depends. Everyones tolerance level is different.
Excellent. . . it is relative.

For me, it's being too possessive, needy, and smothering. No matter how much quality time my ex and I spent together, as soon as I would sit down and start reading a book he would come right over, sit next to me and ask, "Are you trying to avoid me." Hence, one of the many reasons he is an 'ex'.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
That is annoying. Also annoying via text. I had a friend who lived at a distance and we would only get to see each other once a year and her husband would spend the whole weekend texting her to the point it was not enjoyable to be with her. It was just as much her fault for responding though.
Now that would be annoying LOL,

The " funniest " instance of clingy I've known is this.........

Years ago I worked with a fella that was seeing a middle aged nympho ( or sex maniac as she might well be known as in North America ) and she was non stop ringing/texting etc telling him what she was wearing and what she wanted to do to him LOL. Now my job is hard on the body and his back and shoulders had gone, arthritis in his knees and he was telling us what she would do with him .........

As soon as he walked in the front door she would be waiting and slam him up against the wall, have his shirt off straight away, undo his jeans even before they've reached the top of the stairs LOL and then keep him up ALL night.

Now he used to come into work tired as hell and instantly start moaning, the reason it was funny is because he was 64 years of age!!!!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Old 11-27-2015, 11:25 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,885,127 times
It definitely depends on the people involved as well as the stage of the relationship. When I was casually dating, I had no interest in talking every day or meeting up more than once or twice a week. But then I met someone special and we gradually began to communicate more and see each other more. Now that we live together, are engaged, etc. we are in a completely different place where we spend most of our free time together and that's how we like it. At this point I suppose "too clingy" would be if he followed me to work, expected me to return texts within a few minutes, called to check up on me during the work day...but that's more stalker/abuser sort of stuff than typical "clingy."

Old 11-27-2015, 11:44 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
It would depend on which stage the relationship or dateship is at, wouldn't it? The first month or two--too clingy. 6 months in? Normal, appropriate.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It would depend on which stage the relationship or dateship is at, wouldn't it? The first month or two--too clingy. 6 months in? Normal, appropriate.
How about liberty's friends husband?

Married and still to clingy?

Old 11-27-2015, 02:25 PM

888 posts, read 555,910 times
For me too clingy means too possessive and not understanding space. Even when I am committed to someone, I still want my space. I still want to be able to have nights out alone with friends, trips with friends, and I want to same for him. I actually still want time alone, just alone, as well. I don't have any desire to be joined at the hip or have to explain my whereabouts constantly. I want the same for him and he is actually really needs his alone time, and I respect that. Clingy would also be calling at work constantly and expecting me to be able to talk, or texting constantly and getting mad if no reply right away. I know some couples prefer to spend all their free time together, and if that works for them, then it's not too clingy I Guess. I think at the beginning stages too clingy would be someone who wants to talk all the time and see each other every day very early on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships