Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:42 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,986 times

Advertisements

Is it days, weeks, months??? When will I stop feeling this way???

My heart actually hurts....I don't know what to do about it. I hate feeling this way....any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 07:47 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,020,804 times
As long as it takes to get unattached to the negative emotions and move on I guess.

I have the same problem. I've been an honest natural kind of person only to have been manipulated by a homosexual emotionally abusive predator for years and now have nearly no emotional capacity left. Days, weeks, months, God knows!

Is there any more background about what has caused you to feel the way you do?

Do you ever get that feeling everything you try to do, somebody misunderstands and attacks you?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:56 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post

My heart actually hurts....I don't know what to do about it. I hate feeling this way....any suggestions?
Every person is different and the amount of time varies. I'm still working on it and for me my hobbies, family and friends are gonna help me pull through. Plus, it's almost time to hit the lakes and I'm finishing up a tune-up on my boat this week!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:

I know, I know, heartbreak can be actual physical pain, and I'm so sorry for yours!

Here's what really helps and will get you through it - you must get busy and involved in helping someone else with bigger problems than yours. When you start focusing on them instead of constantly thinking of your pain you will feel less pain.

Start tomorrow to figure out what group or organization you can volunteer your time to and get busy

Old 05-02-2010, 08:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
i think the most important thing is to actually fully feel what you are feeling. wallow in it. get it out of your system. dont "medicate" it away wit partying, etc...
i think it will pass more quickly that way.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:03 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,454,433 times
I cant put a time limit on it..but...it will happen. The only encouragement I can offer is this: be strong for a while and s l o w l y it will feel better. Just how slowly it is can vary. Most of us over the age of 40 have experienced it. If you are under 40, consider this part of life.

All depends on what sort of hear ache it is. Getting over my separation and ultimate divorce took me ...oh, maybe 2 years. Getting over my first son's death took a lot longer.

If it is any encouragement, this too shall pass. Really. We all move on, if it is a lost love, a sibling, a parent, a child. Hard to believe, but it IS possible to get beyond it.

But it hurts like hell.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:06 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times

YouTube - Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box

Old 05-02-2010, 08:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:

Sorry, but sometimes it never does "go away" 100%. For the rest of your life there will always be the memory , and maybe a bit of feeling, but you must move on.

It will get better in time.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,056 times
Quote:

It depends on a couple of factors. I've experienced this twice in my life when I felt like my chest was caving in and I was crying over some woman who I gave my all to just to be told I was a rebound or that they still loved their ex even though they told me different when we first got together.

It depends on a couple of things to tell when you will be over someone.

1) Do you "have" to drive by, visit, or experience the same things or places currently as when you were with the person who broke your heart.

solution: try as much as you can to get away from those places and things that remind you of the past, and you will cause yourself less pain.

2) Do you work with, live near, or contact this person for any reason?

solution: cut it off. Don't communicate with this person at all because if they really wanted you around you wouldn't be heartbroken right now in the first place.

3) Do you have kids with this person?

solution: This is a tough one that I can't give advice on because I don't have kids..ask someone who's been through the same situation that has kids with their ex.

4) What do you do with your free time?

solution: stay occupied with a hobby, or go volunteer somewhere. Giving helps to heal the heart, and a hobby can get your mind off of things. Try not to drink or do drugs if this has been part of your recovery. If you must drink to ease the pain and you can't go without it then limit yourself to a certain day of the week. Drinking can become a habit in the long run as I've learned because I started drinking after my ex broke my heart and now that I'm over her I don't drink as much, but I brought that habit with me. Still working on cleaning it up.

5) Do you still think she/he thinks of you?

solution: If you have any idea about this person ever coming back and you sometimes think that they will somehow change their mind about you...forget it...don't give in to that way of thinking because the break-up happened for a reason to begin with, and that won't change ...the feeling they had will always be there even if they think things can be changed...You will just end up getting hurt again by having hope in things working again...trust me...Just move on...You can't drive a car to your destination by looking in the rear-view the whole way.

6) Do you have goals?

solution: Make some new goals for your life and re-asses things.

Hope this helps a little bit, and ignore those who say you shouldn't be hurting because obviously they don't know what you have been through....maybe they had a small heartbreak before or they turned into a stone after their experience and they have no sympathy anymore, but you still have a good heart so don't let them lead you into losing the heart you do have because it sucks walking around in life without feeling or meaning

Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
As long as it takes to get unattached to the negative emotions and move on I guess.

I have the same problem. I've been an honest natural kind of person only to have been manipulated by a homosexual emotionally abusive predator for years and now have nearly no emotional capacity left. Days, weeks, months, God knows!

Is there any more background about what has caused you to feel the way you do?

Do you ever get that feeling everything you try to do, somebody misunderstands and attacks you?
Yes, I had a very intense relationship with someone that just finally ended today, and I knew it was over for weeks but he wouldn't come out and say it....and a while ago he was mad at me, and said it's all about you, and I said not true, you just don't understand me and I feel like I have to apologize just for being me....if that's what you mean....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships