Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 AM

629 posts, read 1,233,704 times

Advertisements

In a nutshell, a couple years ago I broke up with my ex gf. I was completely in love with her and we were usually happy together, but other times we began fighting since we both wanted different things. I wanted to move forward in our two years together and she wanted to just have fun and be reckless all the time. She had a huge debt that she was always building on and she loved attention. I wanted us to work on getting more stable so we wouldn't have problems in the future. Eventually the last straw was when she started giving other guys more attention than me. On our last date before we broke up we went horse back riding. My horse got spooked and jerked the reigns as he tried to run. I managed to calm him down but I noticed my hand had a small gash under my thumb just along the wrist. I thought nothing of it until I noticed a small scar about the length of a quarter. It took me forever to forget about her, move on and find a new love (much better by the way). I intend to never thing of her again but now whenever I see the scar her name automatically comes to mind. It's like she forever left a physical and emotional scar. It's small and barely noticable but it's a reminder of her I can't throw away. Ofcourse I'll never tell my gf I was on a date when I got it, but just yesterday I was washing dishes and I noticed the scar and just remembering her bugged me a little. Ok that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
Let the scar serve as a reminder of how relieved you are to rid her from your life and find someone you are happy with now. Had you not been with her, the course of your life would not have led you to the one you're with now.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
I thought it was from the horse...?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I thought it was from the horse...?
The horse incident left you a scar, your girlfriend didn't. As time goes by you'll find that scars both visible and invisible will fade but they're still there and are a part of you. You put things behind you and move forward and then all of a sudden, even many years later, something is seen or heard or said which brings up past hurts right to the forefront and the pain is as great as it was when it happened. I don't mean to make this sound banal or overly simplistic but that's all part of life. It ain't for the faint of heart! Hope that helps.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Let the scar serve as a reminder of how relieved you are to rid her from your life and find someone you are happy with now. Had you not been with her, the course of your life would not have led you to the one you're with now.
I like this because it's true. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The horse incident left you a scar, your girlfriend didn't. As time goes by you'll find that scars both visible and invisible will fade but they're still there and are a part of you. You put things behind you and move forward and then all of a sudden, even many years later, something is seen or heard or said which brings up past hurts right to the forefront and the pain is as great as it was when it happened. I don't mean to make this sound banal or overly simplistic but that's all part of life. It ain't for the faint of heart! Hope that helps.
Oh yeah did she leave a huge emotional scar. I was wreck for months after we broke up. I'm glad now that I met her because she taught me the difference between what I thought I wanted and what I actually wanted. She was fun, sexy and exciting but there was little emotional connection. We were on different wave lengths. We only lasted as long as we did because she was trying to comprimise with me. But towards the end it looked like she was tired of trying to be someone she wasn't. The difference between became clear when I realized I was growing as a person and in her late 20's she was still acting like a highschool girl. If it wasn't for her, I would've overlooked my new gf who has kept me happy (and vice versa) for over 3 years.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Well then, all is well. Move onwards and upwards and put the scars on the back burner ...

Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
Glad to hear that you have moved on, and that you are in a "happy place" in your life!
I agree about the scar. It will fade away eventually.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:22 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,538 times
Scars remind us of previous injuries, and are there to remind us not to make the same mistakes.

I have a number of former partners, some of whom I remember more, or less fondly, but I'll never stop remembering them.
Some of them I'll never stop loving, and some I'll never tire of hating.
Those experiences have made me the person I am today.

Last edited by bobman; 05-24-2011 at 10:30 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 AM

538 posts, read 1,521,625 times
No, she left no physical scar. The symbolism you are making it into is unneccessarily dramatic and it's still purely emotional. Not physical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships