Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:10 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,504 times

Advertisements

If your fiancé wanted you to? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:13 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Are you talking about cutting off the seamen? Or something else?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Are you talking about cutting off the seamen? Or something else?
Yep I'm referring to semen. In other words, a vasectomy.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Quote:
Yep I'm referring to semen. In other words, a vasectomy.
If we've had enough children to satisfy us, yes I would get a vasectomy. I wouldn't want anymore oops moments after I've had my fill of kids.

Edit: Where did I've come from? oi.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
CancerianMoonPrincess, since it is you who is sure she doesn't want children, I personally feel it's on you to have a tubal ligation, not on a future fiance to have a vasectomy.

You know that whomever you are with, no matter what happens, you don't want children. So why wouldn't you have the operation yourself?

At the very least you should do something permanent so you can stop obsessing on this issue.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:28 PM

I should give an example since I'm not the man but I gave an answer...When my husband and I married, I had a 16-year-old son and my husband had never had children. We had one child and surprised ourselves by wanting one more. We knew that would be "it" for us and debated vasectomy v. TL.

I decided it should be me, since I had already had three children, was almost in my 40s at the time, had been a parent for 20 years already and knew I didn't want more children no matter what happened. I knew I did not want to be in my 40s and pregnant. Period. End of story.

OTOH, what if I suddenly dropped dead or ran off to become a showgirl or whatever happened, and my husband, who had only been a parent for a couple years by then and had just gotten started on his parenting journey, and was (is) four years younger than I besides and therefore could potentially be more enthusiastic about starting over with a new baby, met someone who did want a child?

So I told my husband I wanted the TL. We agreed to this while I was pregnant with our second (my third) child.

You already know that you never want children, period, end of story so it's on you to have a TL. After that, you will simply tell future dates, relationships, etc. that you made the decision to never have children and that in fact you are surgically sterilized so there will be no children, and it will all be right there out in the open so the guy can stay or bolt depending upon what his future parental preferences are. It seems fair, logical and way more easier than waiting to get engaged and then wondering if that future fiance will get a vasectomy, doesn't it?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I should give an example since I'm not the man but I gave an answer...When my husband and I married, I had a 16-year-old son and my husband had never had children. We had one child and surprised ourselves by wanting one more. We knew that would be "it" for us and debated vasectomy v. TL.

I decided it should be me, since I had already had three children, was almost in my 40s at the time, had been a parent for 20 years already and knew I didn't want more children no matter what happened. I knew I did not want to be in my 40s and pregnant. Period. End of story.

OTOH, what if I suddenly dropped dead or ran off to become a showgirl or whatever happened, and my husband, who had only been a parent for a couple years by then and had just gotten started on his parenting journey, and was (is) four years younger than I besides and therefore could potentially be more enthusiastic about starting over with a new baby, met someone who did want a child?

So I told my husband I wanted the TL. We agreed to this while I was pregnant with our second (my third) child.

You already know that you never want children, period, end of story so it's on you to have a TL. After that, you will simply tell future dates, relationships, etc. that you made the decision to never have children and that in fact you are surgically sterilized so there will be no children, and it will all be right there out in the open so the guy can stay or bolt depending upon what his future parental preferences are. It seems fair, logical and way more easier than waiting to get engaged and then wondering if that future fiance will get a vasectomy, doesn't it?
I know you're right. The only problem is finding someone who will do it on someone so young. Most doctors won't do it because they think you'll "change your mind."

Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I know you're right. The only problem is finding someone who will do it on someone so young. Most doctors won't do it because they think you'll "change your mind."
If that's the only problem then why not start doing some real research on how you can have this done (some doctor will do it)?

It is your decision. It won't help to find out if, hypothetically, a few men on some internet site think they might either do this or not. It's your life and your decision.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Nope, not happening. Even if I never wanted kids.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,741 times
Quote:
No. There's always the chance that I might want more kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships