Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Do you think this double standard sort of holds true? It seems if a girl likes a guy, and the guy doesn't reciprocate, he's just shallow and not worth it anyway. Whereas if she turns a guy down, he's ugly or creepy or something like that. Like 'she could do better.' It seems less acceptable for a male to be discerning, while women are encouraged to be like this.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:07 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
prettymuch.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,353 times
WRONG!!!! Way too general of a statement. The question is.... WHY did they not pick that particular person. I know several shallow women and men.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:16 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,528 times
Yeah, been called a lot of bad things because of my dating preferences.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
There are shallow reasons for pickiness, and not-so-shallow reasons for pickiness. It depends on what the person is so picky about, regardless of gender.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Ya that is a double standard. However I can understand why they say that. Women tend to be picky for other reasons than physicalities. Men on the oter hand, they're mostly picky about some physicality that the woman does or doesn't not have that they deem undesirable.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,628 times
I am not a shy person, and I really don’t care what most people think about me, so I’ll take the plunge. Yes, this is clearly yet another case of the double standard.

Men always get the blame for everything. I’ve never understood why women think that it’s a man’s world. While there are a lot of women that do chase men, women on the other hand can pick and choose if they’re smart, they can easily have their pick of men that are in the same league or well above their station. Men on the other hand usually only have this option when they’re selectively picking well below their post, so it’s obviously not a man’s world. Women have something that men actively pursue.

Some examples:

Domestic violence, man hits woman, he’s a loser. Woman hits man, he deserved it.

Fidelity, man cheats on woman, he’s a pig. Woman cheats on man, it’s because he did something wrong.

Sex, man isn’t interested in sex he’s probably a closet gay, over the hill, or he’s cheating. If a woman withholds sex, it’s because the man isn’t paying enough attention, he performs too quickly and doesn’t satisfy the woman, add nausea…

I could go on and on about the double standards that women enjoy and men pay for dearly.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
I don't agree at all....especially with bollilo_locos examples.Those may be HIS opinions, but that's all. After reading on these forums for awhile,...woman can not "easily" have their pick of men.I see the double standard as being much more in favor of men....not women, especially in the workplace.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:20 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I am not a shy person, and I really don’t care what most people think about me, so I’ll take the plunge. Yes, this is clearly yet another case of the double standard.

Men always get the blame for everything. I’ve never understood why women think that it’s a man’s world. While there are a lot of women that do chase men, women on the other hand can pick and choose if they’re smart, they can easily have their pick of men that are in the same league or well above their station. Men on the other hand usually only have this option when they’re selectively picking well below their post, so it’s obviously not a man’s world. Women have something that men actively pursue.

Some examples:

Domestic violence, man hits woman, he’s a loser. Woman hits man, he deserved it.

Fidelity, man cheats on woman, he’s a pig. Woman cheats on man, it’s because he did something wrong.

Sex, man isn’t interested in sex he’s probably a closet gay, over the hill, or he’s cheating. If a woman withholds sex, it’s because the man isn’t paying enough attention, he performs too quickly and doesn’t satisfy the woman, add nausea…

I could go on and on about the double standards that women enjoy and men pay for dearly.
Bingo. Dead on accurate.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you think this double standard sort of holds true? It seems if a girl likes a guy, and the guy doesn't reciprocate, he's just shallow and not worth it anyway. Whereas if she turns a guy down, he's ugly or creepy or something like that. Like 'she could do better.' It seems less acceptable for a male to be discerning, while women are encouraged to be like this.
No, I don't think there's a double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.