Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:49 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times

Advertisements

I'm a shy guy so I can understand and accept that many people just won't like me. I can accept the fact that people may find me boring or aloof but selfish is the last word I would think to hear when referring to a shy person.

I would think someone who is selfish is the type of person who has no respect for the boundaries of others, someone who always has to make it about themselves and could really care less about other people.

I'm not that guy and I always try to help others if I can and if someone says or even looks like they want to be left alone then I leave them alone.This is probably why this rubs me the wrong way.

Why would anyone consider shy people selfish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 11:44 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,602 times
I don't know but maybe shady. I can be shy, depending on the circumstances like meeting new people, but it makes me look shady. One of my friends told me to stop being shady, but the other friend said, "no I think she's just shy."

And like you, I love (or try to) help people in whatever ways I can.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,504 times
I don't consider shy people selfish at all. But what I do think is that maybe people mistake your shyness for being stuck-up. I'm not saying you are stuck up but that could be the case.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm a shy guy so I can understand and accept that many people just won't like me. I can accept the fact that people may find me boring or aloof but selfish is the last word I would think to hear when referring to a shy person.

I would think someone who is selfish is the type of person who has no respect for the boundaries of others, someone who always has to make it about themselves and could really care less about other people.

I'm not that guy and I always try to help others if I can and if someone says or even looks like they want to be left alone then I leave them alone.This is probably why this rubs me the wrong way.

A truly selfish person would want, and keep, everything for themselves; even at the expense of others.

Generally, when a person calls another selfish, it is usually because the other simply does not agree with what the accuser holds as some sort of absolute giving rationale. The selfish person probably has the same values, yet they view the world through different eyes.

The best example of this is when child-bearers accuse those who want to remain child-free as being selfish. The crime here is in the accusation that the childless adult only desires to remain childless because the task of raising offspring, the responsibly, would hinder their hedonist "me me me" lifestyle. Which for many is a false accusation.

No need to venture to deep into that, but it is plain to see that no matter how you look at it, we all want things for selfish reasons.

But, I am not sure how being shy is considered as being selfish? I've never that before. It just seems odd.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:

Being selfish has nothing to do with being shy.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:23 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I don't consider shy people selfish at all. But what I do think is that maybe people mistake your shyness for being stuck-up. I'm not saying you are stuck up but that could be the case.
I thought the stuck-up shy girl part only applied to women?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:26 AM

328 posts, read 602,993 times
So all this time I've been ignoring people around me and not greeting people when I walk past them because I'm shy, not an *******? Whoa, mind-blowing.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Yeah, I would never equate being shy with being selfish. It would be the oppositie, the extravert - the one who will never shut up and the theme is "enough about me now, what do you think of me?"

Of course I don't know how the word shy relates to the constructs of introversion and extraversion, but it my mind it does.

I do think as a former poster mentioned, people could perceive your shyness as aloofness and being stuck up.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:53 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
That's ridiculous. Shy and selfish are in no way related. Matter of fact, the most selfish people I've known have also been the most friendly and outgoing people I've known. Maybe someone is just frustrated because they couldn't penetrate your outer shell or felt it was too much work. If you're happy, then don't worry about it, not everyone is comfortable being a social butterfly.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:21 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:

Its mis-identification is all that is. People think I'm stuck up and arrogant when they first meet me, but its more my initial shyness and awkwardness that makes me come across that way... I'm very outgoing and non-judgemental actually...

I think you've got the same thing going on here... People mistaking your shyness as being "selfish" somehow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships