Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 01:40 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Ditto. I'd rather have a grey and cold winter give way to spring and summer than have summer start in March and have to run from air-conditioned house to air-conditioned car to air-conditioned job in July and August during daylight hours because one's shoes will melt into the pavement if you mosey. There's a reason why the south and southwest didn't boom until A/C was widespread, because who would want to live in Texas or Arizona otherwise?
Yup - I still have the butt-burns from driving my convertibles in CA and FL.

And the steering wheel was no picnic either.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Yup - I still have the butt-burns from driving my convertibles in CA and FL.

And the steering wheel was no picnic either.
I really depends on where you are in So Cal. If you're out in the "inland empire", your gonna roast your ass off, it's the same weather as AZ. If you are along the coast, the weather in summer is perfect, high 70's low 80's cool breezes........ it's why fixer uppers cost 500K still, even in the shythouse economy.

You got the mountains an hour away, the ocean is close......

I don't know why I'm defending So Cal, I friggin hate it... I'd like to move right the hell out of here, for all of the pro's Ca used to have... IDK, I really think that the cons are surely gonna out weight soon enough..... I think with all of its many many problems, I think its never gonna be the land of dreams like it used to be from the 40's til just the last decade or so.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Some major ego flaring going on regarding advanced education.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:42 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Some major ego flaring going on regarding advanced education.

I graduated from Alley U 'The School of Hard Knocks'.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:07 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times
Quote:
I really depends on where you are in So Cal. If you're out in the "inland empire", your gonna roast your ass off, it's the same weather as AZ. If you are along the coast, the weather in summer is perfect, high 70's low 80's cool breezes........ it's why fixer uppers cost 500K still, even in the shythouse economy.

You got the mountains an hour away, the ocean is close......
Yeah, see, I spent time in South El Monte and City of Industry - not exactly Hollywood Hills - and a nicer time in Venice Beach, but still it just felt odd.

As for the house prices - maybe if I were a studio writer or something like that I could afford it, but I think prices like that are ludicrous. Here in PA you can still get fixer-uppers for around 50k - a ten-fold reduction from your CA scenario. No, we don't have beaches, but we don't have mudslides, quakes, droughts or smog either.

Quote:
I don't know why I'm defending So Cal, I friggin hate it... I'd like to move right the hell out of here, for all of the pro's Ca used to have... IDK, I really think that the cons are surely gonna out weight soon enough..... I think with all of its many many problems, I think its never gonna be the land of dreams like it used to be from the 40's til just the last decade or so.
Heh - and don't know why I'm sticking up for PA - I still feel like an outsider here after so many years. But then I've felt that way no matter where I've been with the exception of my native NY (another place I wouldn't want to move back to).

Maybe Somalia will take me ...

Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Followers? I think you're giving folk too much credit. I can't imagine most of us remembering who posts what one day to the next.
Got that right. When I get repped I usually have to go back and re-read what I posted.
I have two reps from 7/1 but the thread was deleted, now I have no idea what I said.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I read it was 118 in phoenix today. Record heat.

Hot as a$$.

I just checked, 103 right now.

Still hot as a$$.

I need to rethink my future move to AZ.
Just what I wanted to see.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Just what I wanted to see.
Hey, I've thought about New Mexico.... they get "four" seasons supposedly, and their summers aren't as brutal. I know a lot of Californians have relocated there.

Is your move forced???

Old 07-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
And why are they desirable? For the climate? 120 doesn't sound like Heaven to me. Looking out my window to see a moonscape isn't exactly appealing, and although I have a few kinks dust and sand in my Jockey shorts doesn't quite thrill me.

I've lived in both CA and FL - FL, maybe I'd try it again. CA? Never - not around LA, anyway. If I wanted a brown sky I'd paint my living-room ceiling. SF was nice but way too expensive. And the traffic? No freakin' way!

At least here we have PROPER seasons and don't have to worry about running out of water. We can celebrate Xmas with actual SNOW and see LEAVES fall from real TREES in autumn - not watch the needles on the cactus turn yellow.

I'm not Lawrence of Arabia - I'll leave the heat and sand to the camel-jockeys.
Dammit! Had I read in advance I would have saved the rep for this one instead.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Hey, I've thought about New Mexico.... they get "four" seasons supposedly, and their summers aren't as brutal. I know a lot of Californians have relocated there.

Is your move forced???
Yes, and I ain't happy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships