Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Yeah, Julia is spot on so there's no need to really reiterate what she say. In short though, the only relationship they had were with their research and themselves.

By the way, I used to work near where Tesla lived. I always wanted to see if I can go into his apartment. I need to find out if there's some tour so I can still do so.
I live less than a mile from John Nash and also where Einstein used to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
First requirement to become a scientist is penis disorder or disability

So the concentration on the subject at hand is greatly enhanced, with even masturbation ruled out. Even if they were caught jerking off, it's only coz they were kilojouleing the piston's heat generating power

Or elasticity or tension in mechanical physics. Young's modulus and such.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:48 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I have met super smart individuals that get 4.0 grade point averages and YET...they cannot prepare a poptart.
Pop-Tart preparation is much harder than most people assume...

First you have to choose your Tart. With 30 flavor choices this requires a certain familiarity with differential calculus. Then you have design of the experimental apparatus itself, crucial to the unbiased outcome of the experiment. Do you use the oven, a convection oven, a microwave or a toaster-oven? Do you use a naked flame? If so, what is the source - gas, electric, solar, geothermal or beeswax? Prep time - also a critical consideration; is this experiment designed for lovers of well-done tarts, or does it appeal to the raw devotees among us?

There are so many side-paths one can wander down in this experiment - sprinkles or no? Frosting or no? Mini-sized or full-sized? - that it could conceivably become a life's work preparing Pop-Tarts.

No wonder we geniuses rarely have fulfilling interpersonal relationships - we're too busy feeding YOUR damn asses!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
What do you think was wrong with people like Nikola Tesla and Robert Bunsen? ...
Nothing. Your question is rather generalizing geniuses since many did have relationships and long term marriages. Do you point at a average slub that does not have relationships as describing all average slubs?

Now does having a extreme intellect make a person less desirable to the majority? I would answer yes. Average people tend to resent people that are more talented intellectually than they are. It can easily be seen in the grade school environment where the smart kids suffer harassment by others. Such kids grow up with stunted social skills and require more effort to break from the experience. Many will do so but not all.

When you combine the small pool of candidates that a smart person has to select from, with poor socializing skills and the usual percent of people with mental issues, you do not get a high percentage of relationship success. It would be interesting though to know if geniuses that do have relationships if they are more inclined to have lasting ones than the general population? One of you College critters might get a paper out of it.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:26 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
What do you think was wrong with people like Nikola Tesla and Robert Bunsen? They never had any relationships or anything with the opposite sex? And no they were not gay or if they were still. Why did they avoid intimate relationships for their whole life? Even most people who believe they are too good for people have relationships and sex. Would the world have been better if they had had children or not?

Projection: You're wondering what's wrong with you because you avoid sex and relationships and you're not gay, correct? Why can't you just say that instead of beating around the bush?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
Most of us choose a mate who can relate to us and understand us on an intimate level (emotionally and intellectually.) It's not surprising to me that some who are truly unusual (in any way) have a hard time finding someone who really is on the same wavelength as them, that sees the world the same way they do. Think of how many posters we see each week here who can't find a partner... it just gets harder when you have some highly unusual characteristics.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Most of us choose a mate who can relate to us and understand us on an intimate level (emotionally and intellectually.) It's not surprising to me that some who are truly unusual (in any way) have a hard time finding someone who really is on the same wavelength as them, that sees the world the same way they do. Think of how many posters we see each week here who can't find a partner... it just gets harder when you have some highly unusual characteristics.
Good post.

I have also noted that many smart people have much less tolerance for other people...that might make it hard to have interpersonal relationships.

But I also agree with the above post...lots of geniuses and brilliant historical figures DID have wives and husbands and children, etc...so just a couple out of many doesn't really prove anything.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
Projection: You're wondering what's wrong with you because you avoid sex and relationships and you're not gay, correct? Why can't you just say that instead of beating around the bush?
Prediction: You are one of those psychology students upset that I called the field a fraud?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
So Tesla and Bunsen didn't pass on their genes but their contributions to humanity is immense through their work. Isn't that what's really important?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
So Tesla and Bunsen didn't pass on their genes but their contributions to humanity is immense through their work. Isn't that what's really important?
Yes, but I feel that if they had had heirs. We would know more. Did you know when Tesla died the US government seized all his documents he had? This US government has had a history of destroying his work because it was too advanced and would have revolutionized the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships