Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i don't agree, that's not the sort of analogy i had in mind. Firing half the staff is not a behavioral issue, it is a business decision. To me this is about behavior.
It's a business decision that depends on having the right leader to execute it. I could be the boss of a company that's losing money. The correct business decision would be to let some people go. But maybe I'm unwilling to do that because I don't want to see those people unemployed. So now it's a behavioral issue. This is why some people make better leaders than others. They have to have the personality for it. You have to be willing to make tough choices. This is also why a lot of people think women make poor leaders, because they buy into the stereotype that women are too emotional and too worried about being liked and don't "have the balls" to make the big decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
This Alpha Male/female or H.B.I.C (Head ***** In Charge) crap or for people who are insecure and feel the need to tell people they are tough. Whoever follows them, are even stupider and more weak minded. People who are in charge, don't need to say they are charge, they know they are and people will follow through.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
well the word illustrates a set of double standards about how aggressive women are perceived, which doesn't apply to aggressive men, so I can understand why you don't like it.

But the way I see it, the word is just a reflection of a real-life concept that sits under our noses. That is...
Is n*gger, Wop, Sp*c, K*ke, just reflections of real-life concepts that sit under our noses?

Old 06-09-2011, 10:02 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Is n*gger, Wop, Sp*c, K*ke, just reflections of real-life concepts that sit under our noses?
I was about to ask the same thing.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
If you accept those concepts as being real, then yes.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
well now you're just getting into semantics --

the first one tends to be interpreted by the general public as a uniform slur against an entire race. So calling someone a "n*gger" would offend nearly all black people, even some 3rd party who wasn't the target of the insult. However, calling someone a "redneck" or "cracker" would only offend some small subset of white people who perceived themselves as potential crackers. The two racial slurs are perceived differently because who-knows-why.

"B*tch" would be akin to "redneck", where if you accuse one particular woman of such, plenty of other women would not take offense. They might even describe themselves as a "b*tch", or other women. Shocking, I know.

Last edited by le roi; 06-09-2011 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-09-2011, 11:06 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:

the first one tends to be interpreted by the general public as a uniform slur against an entire race. So calling someone a "n*gger" would offend nearly all black people, even some 3rd party who wasn't the target of the insult. However, calling someone a "redneck" or "cracker" would only offend some small subset of white people who perceived themselves as potential crackers. The two racial slurs are perceived differently because who-knows-why.

"B*tch" would be akin to "redneck", where if you accuse one particular woman of such, plenty of other women would not take offense. They might even describe themselves as a "b*tch", or other women. Shocking, I know.
I agree, it's not the same thing at all. There are plenty of women who refer to other women as b*tches, and they are not bringing down the entire female population by doing so, and I doubt any one of them would think so. They are singling out one individual for her personality. Most women I know don't look at the word b*tch as something along the lines of a sexist or racist slur. Now call a woman a c*nt, and you'll hear a collective gasp from whoever is within earshot. The two words probably share the same meaning and are often used within the same context, but one has much more of a gender related association. Like calling a guy a d*ck.

Blacks who refer to other blacks as n*gger are being irresponsible IMO because by doing so they are dilluting the meaning and severity of the term that other blacks have fought so hard to eliminate from our vocabulary.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Blacks who refer to other blacks as n*gger are being irresponsible IMO because by doing so they are diluting the meaning and severity of the term that other blacks have fought so hard to eliminate from our vocabulary.
I hear that term ad infinitum at the club, both from the lips of black guys and from the rap playing on the sound system. I go downtown, I hear it on the street. I hear it on the bus.

That ship has sailed, I think.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:31 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what this supposed to mean.

Quote:

Perfect analogy to prove my point. Redneck is not a catch all. There are distinct qualifiers (locale, culture, level of eduction/intelligence, etc). B*tch can be applied to any woman from any walk of life, be it a poverty stricken dumbass from the south, or a scientist hailing from Harvard. The only qualifier is having a vagina. Clearly, you wouldn't call the scientist hailing from Harvard a red neck, and if you did it wouldn't make much sense. It's the same with N*gger. The only qualifier is skin color.

It's bigoted towards women en masse. It makes no difference if women use the term, which only highlights how ingrained this type of sexism is in our society in that it's subtle. Just because most folk might not be mindful enough to understand this doesn't change the reality.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 06-09-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 04:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
It's bigoted towards women en masse.
i don't see how you jump to the conclusion that because the word can apply to women from "all walks of life," that it necessarily does apply.

if i was to call some woman you didn't know a b*tch, would you literally think i was calling you one, as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships