Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Well, you know what I mean. I played ring around the Rosie yesterday with you.
No, I really don't know what you mean. I wouldn't be asking you if I did.

Quote:
You did just what you say you despise to me. Are you kidding? You know more than a pro and can do his job better than him without a freakin' clue. You won't listen and KNOW nothing of what you speak. It's pointless arguing with you.
More than what pro? Since when are you are pro regarding the installation of doors and floors and what exactly are you saying about it that I'm not listening to? As stated yesterday, I tap any and all pros around me. Although, sorry, you have not presented any form of expertise on anything. I don't doubt your ability with hot rods, but beyond that I have no idea what advice you're attempting to give. Further, I don't understand your style of communication. There are a number of key elements missing in your discourse for me to ascertain what you're talking about, but I am trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:20 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Why would I feel threatened? Insulted is more like it. No training, no specialty tools, no license.........NO NOTHING! I know other men read your posts. I guarantee they spit on the floor because of it.
Threatened ...plain and simple...it's why it evokes such a rage! Hmmm how MANY years of experience do you have? Personally, I have 30 years! All self-taught and gleaned from pros, which include a father who had his own construction company! I likely have MORE "specialty tools" than 99% of you....and they're nearly all MINE, not bought for my husband, they're MY tools...an entire work shop FULL of them and I am an EXPERT at each and every one of them!! Oh and don't play with Braunwyn...you WILL lose. LOL

One last thought....you can bet there are a whole lot of guys who are sitting back in their chairs chuckling at you right about now...saying, "Please don't stop, please don't stop. These women are gonna tear you up...oh this is getting good." Incidentally, I have a whole lot of male friends on here who DO know that I know what I'm talking about, but you wouldn't know this as you spend most of your time on the music threads.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
It seems that you view Braunwyn as clueless when in reality, you just met your match. I am not talking about specific skills but rather, your inability to make her feel inferior.

You wouldn't play ring around the rosies with somebody who is dumber than you or would you?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Why would I feel threatened? Insulted is more like it. No training, no specialty tools, no license.........NO NOTHING! I know other men read your posts. I guarantee they spit on the floor because of it.
Yea, you are insulted and I don't understand why. Because I installed my own floors and they look good? Because I installed an entry door, that would have cost me $459, and it works and is solid? I indeed have all the tools needed for those projects, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do it. What I don't own, like a floor nailer, I rent. I also can't imagine anybody wanting to spit on their own floor because I installed mine. It's completely ridiculous that it bugs you. And I don't know how training comes into any of this.

Btw, the reason Home Depot and Lowes fair so well is not due to only contractors spending money there, but home owners.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
It seems that you view Braunwyn as clueless when in reality, you just met your match. I am not talking about specific skills but rather, your inability to make her feel inferior.
He wants that view, but it's only possible if he holds to irrational assumptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Threatened ...plain and simple...it's why it evokes such a rage! Hmmm how MANY years of experience do you have? Personally, I have 30 years! All self-taught and gleaned from pros, which include a father who had his own construction company! I likely have MORE "specialty tools" than 99% of you....and they're nearly all MINE, not bought for my husband, they're MY tools...an entire work shop FULL of them and I am an EXPERT at each and every one of them!!
This reminds me of my ex. We were broke, so he took a job at a cabinet making company for $8/hr. He nailed boards together to make simple, cheap dressers. He got into it. He spent the next the 7 years making furniture at home and became a master cabinet maker. His style was shaker with Japanese influences. He created beautiful pieces and our house was one big wood shop. No licenses. No apprenticeship, just his own elbow grease and desire. He'd test the sturdiness of his more simple, quick sale end tables by throwing them across the room! The stuff is unbreakable.

One summer we sided a house together in lieu of rent for our land lord.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:43 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
He wants that view, but it's only possible if he holds to irrational assumptions.
People, men and women, are not who we want them to be. They are who they are.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:

This reminds me of my ex. We were broke, so he took a job at a cabinet making company for $8/hr. He nailed boards together to make simple, cheap dressers. He got into it. He spent the next the 7 years making furniture at home and became a master cabinet maker. His style was shaker with Japanese influences. He created beautiful pieces and our house was one big wood shop. No licenses. No apprenticeship, just his own elbow grease and desire. He'd test the sturdiness of his more simple, quick sale end tables by throwing them across the room! The stuff is unbreakable.

Your ex, while working on those cheap dressers, probably thought, "This is CRAP! I can do so much better myself. I wouldn't spend money on something this cheesy". It doesn't take a genius to do most things. All it takes is an analytical mind that says...hmm, let's take a look at how this is done, and then applying those principles to whatever you're working on.

The only things that seperate those who can and those who can't are confidence and knowledge of the tools and materials needed for the job. Well...of course there's the HAVING those tools and/or knowing which tools you need to do the job. Many of the people I have met, who have a "specialized skill" have exactly that. "A" specialized skill..period. I've said it before and I'll say it again...if you can read a cookbook, you can build a house.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:

I had my own side business...finish carpenter, custom cabinetmaker, Jack of all trades.
If i thought i had the tools, or could get them, i took on the job a customer wanted.

I started out taking Mill & Cabinet classes & Carpentry classes, at Hartnell Community College. We all worked together & built a custom home each year in class. It was built in three or four sections. After the home was completed, it was auctioned off, then transported in sections to their land, then sections were put together.
Lots of FUns...

Old 07-03-2011, 11:29 AM

104 posts, read 108,501 times
I'm surprised that men complain about women more than vice versa... really women have all the right in the world to complain about men.

Men murder women, rape women, abuse women, beat women, harass women and so on.... the things men complain about are small potatoes compared to what women could complain about if they wanted to.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I had my own side business...finish carpenter, custom cabinetmaker, Jack of all trades.
If i thought i had the tools, or could get them, i took on the job a customer wanted.
See, I guess I've always appreciated cabinet makers. It's a lovely art.

Quote:
I started out taking Mill & Cabinet classes & Carpentry classes, at Hartnell Community College. We all worked together & built a custom home each year in class. It was built in three or four sections. After the home was completed, it was auctioned off, then transported in sections to their land, then sections were put together.
Lots of FUns...
That's just awesome. A guy at the hardware store near my house was just telling me today that there are night classes at this vo-tech in town. If it's not too expensive, and if I find something I like, I might sign up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships