Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:56 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,710,076 times

Advertisements

How do I learn how to relax and take things in stride when dating someone? I'm the type of person who overanalyzes things and thinks wayyy to much. For example, what if this? what if that? Then I back off because I can be scared to take a risk. I feel like this can be detrimental to a healthy relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Girl you need more sex in your wonderful life !!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
lol

Old 06-15-2011, 01:33 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
All relationships involve some degree of risk. The only real way learn to relax and take things in stride is to force yourself to take one day at a time. Easier said than done. But the only thing you have control over is right now. You can't control what happened 5 seconds ago, and you can't control the heart and actions of someone else. You have to accept that each relationship will come with it's own set of ups and downs, occasional disappointments, and good and bad. Determine how much bad you're willing to accept with the good.

Once you've learned to accept the imperfection of any relationship, you can better give up control and not over-analyze every last minutiae of the relationship. In order to give up that control you have to learn to trust, and even if things go bad, at least you can say you did everything in your power to make it work. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
All relationships involve some degree of risk. The only real way learn to relax and take things in stride is to force yourself to take one day at a time. Easier said than done. But the only thing you have control over is right now. You can't control what happened 5 seconds ago, and you can't control the heart and actions of someone else. You have to accept that each relationship will come with it's own set of ups and downs, occasional disappointments, and good and bad. Determine how much bad you're willing to accept with the good.

Once you've learned to accept the imperfection of any relationship, you can better give up control and not over-analyze every last minutiae of the relationship. In order to give up that control you have to learn to trust, and even if things go bad, at least you can say you did everything in your power to make it work. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Thanks. This makes sense.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,284,143 times
Coolhand has some great advice for anyone reading.

There will always be things out of your control. There's no way of forcing someone to do anything.

With that said, it's important that you establish expectations and boundaries for your SO's actions and relationship. Breaking your expectations or boundaries will alert you when there is a problem in your relationship that actually needs thinking and analyzing, since they absolutely come up. If your SO meets your expectations and doesn't break your boundaries, then you have nothing to worry about or analyze and you can... relax

Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM

328 posts, read 603,188 times
Smoke some pot.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,430,089 times
Positive visualisation. Keep/get fit.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,610 times
Cool Don't Worry--Be Happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
How do I learn how to relax and take things in stride when dating someone? I'm the type of person who overanalyzes things and thinks wayyy to much. For example, what if this? what if that? Then I back off because I can be scared to take a risk. I feel like this can be detrimental to a healthy relationship.
Focus on today or just this weekend not next month or next year. You aren't making a lifetime commitment--just dating.

Let your goal be TO BE HAPPY. Try to live "in the moment" and ENJOY LIFE. Have fun.
If you are having fun--you are happy. If you are both having fun and happy, things will progress as they should.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
lolololololol!!! I was gonna say she needs to smoke a joint or something like that! lolololololol!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships