Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
If she doesn't like me, I'm hoping to change that. I don't trust her, tho. Clearly. My MIL seems to like her, so I figure I'm missing something. eta: I trust my MIL on just about everything. She's such a great woman.
I understand what your saying about SIL`s. ..They suck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
If she doesn't like me, I'm hoping to change that.
Why are you so dead set on liking and being liked by everybody in an extended in-law family...? I'm with Ceece on this one.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
tho, I can't imagine her caring what I think, but who knows.
Ah but, she might be sitting there thinking the same thing! "I can't imagine Braunwyn caring about what I think or say..." You never know.

Quote:
My bf's husband came up to me and noted that she was a smarty pants. That was surprising and I'm not sure what he really meant by it. But, it makes me think that I am being too sensitive if it's just a personality thing.
If other people call her a smarty pants, well then maybe that's your answer? And if it is, then it's easy to deal with - you just let the "smart" comments go, and figure that's just her, and has nothing to do with you.

I bet you end being just fine with her! It sounds VERY possible, at this point.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Why are you so dead set on liking and being liked by everybody in an extended in-law family...? I'm with Ceece on this one.
There are very few people in my life that I don't get along with and I don't even like that. Again, I'm not meaning random folk here, because whatever, not everyone gets along, but family is different. It bothers me. Also, I'm just not good at faking it. This family gets together. We vacation together for a week or two at a time. My BIL and future SIL will no doubt, at some point in time, come spend a week or many with us. So, they're not just anybody in my eyes. To reiterate, I know I'm sensitive and that's probably goofy to many of you, but eh, that's my deal.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
She is probably one of those people who say "eff all that crap" about most things. Seeing as how she readily abandoned her bio major (for the arts) and her vegan phase. I don't think it is targeted towards you. She might be a bit clueless and immature.

I would probably say "eff all that" about the arts =cuz I used to do a lot of art but now I'm every bit into science and medicine. Have learned to hold my tongue with age and experience but I guess sometimes I can be insufferable even if I don't mean to be. :P

Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
If other people call her a smarty pants, well then maybe that's your answer? And if it is, then it's easy to deal with - you just let the "smart" comments go, and figure that's just her, and has nothing to do with you.

I bet you end being just fine with her! It sounds VERY possible, at this point.
Yea, I just need to buck up with some tough skin. I can be such a cry baby. I don't know if it's my age, life experiences, or what, but I get so mushy sometimes. I'm also one of those people that if you start crying, literally, I'll be crying with you. Damn, maybe I'm hitting pre-menopause or something.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
There are very few people in my life that I don't get along with and I don't even like that. Again, I'm not meaning random folk here, because whatever, not everyone gets along, but family is different. It bothers me. Also, I'm just not good at faking it. This family gets together. We vacation together for a week or two at a time. My BIL and future SIL will no doubt, at some point in time, come spend a week or many with us. So, they're not just anybody in my eyes. To reiterate, I know I'm sensitive and that's probably goofy to many of you, but eh, that's my deal.
Yeah, I guess everybody feels differently about this. The examples you shared, though, sound just like conversation to me. You have your opinions; she has hers. Opinions not coinciding shouldn't be perceived as a problem. You may not be best friends and seek each other's company because everybody likes validation and common views with friends, but I don't think she's hostile.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
She is probably one of those people who say "eff all that crap" about most things. Seeing as how she readily abandoned her bio major (for the arts) and her vegan phase. I don't think it is targeted towards you. She might be a bit clueless and immature.

I would probably say "eff all that" about the arts =cuz I used to do a lot of art but now I'm every bit into science and medicine. Have learned to hold my tongue with age and experience but I guess sometimes I can be insufferable even if I don't mean to be. :P
The thing is, is that I lover her art. She's so talented. I'm not blowing smoke here. The woman has produced some fine art. OTOH, her brother is a physician. Her parents, from what I hear from my MIL, are not too happy with her current path and the fact that she's marrying a non-Asian. She probably has a host of stuff she's dealing with.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yeah, I guess everybody feels differently about this. The examples you shared, though, sound just like conversation to me. You have your opinions; she has hers. Opinions not coinciding shouldn't be perceived as a problem. You may not be best friends and seek each other's company because everybody likes validation and common views with friends, but I don't think she's hostile.
Yea, I probably just need to chill. And I will put my best foot forward on that end. Last year I was just too crazy with my brother stuff, and then I'm always super sensitive with all things animals. I've always been that way. I'll go out there next month, for the wedding vacation, and just offer my services, be a supportive family member, and relax (for once). I'm reminded why I need my dh in my life. He's the definition of chill.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Later after the wedding & things settle down, you & hubby ought to get together with the "Happy Couple", play pool, or bowl a few lines, or summthin', to get to know each other better, to bond with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships