Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:24 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,747,185 times

Advertisements

Ex. 1. You're an average-looking girl (5). You get solicitations from men both above and beneath your own attractiveness rating (where the man's attractiveness is determined by more than just his looks). You get asked out by a guy who's an "8." You enter into a relationship with this guy and he sweeps you off your feet. Objectively speaking, he's the best guy you've ever been in a relationship with (tall, funny, handsome, good job, etc). The sex is unbelievable. Three months into the relationship, you discover that he's been seeing other women the entire time you've been together. When you confront him about it, he doesn't even respond. You see him out on the town a week later with a new girl that's much prettier than you. You feel used...like he was just "parking" in a relationship with you until something better came along.

Ex. 2. You're an average guy. Average job, average car, average apartment, average height, average charms. You're a male "5." You approach girls above your attractiveness rating (6-8), but they shoot you down before you can get past "Hello." You got to treat a female "6" to dinner a few times, but on the last date she said she just wanted to be friends. You never got to sleep with her. A week later, you hear through friends that the "6" got back with her ex-boyfriend, who's a real stud. You feel used...like she was just accepting dinner dates with you to keep herself entertained until something better came along.

Which situation is worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
I think they both sound kind of ****ty.. but that's life

Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
Situation 1: Assuming they had talked about exclusivity (something I would expect before sleeping together), he cheated on her for months and refused to be honest at any point. If they had agreed somehow that they were allowed to see/date/be with other people, then I guess there's nothing wrong with it, but I still think he should have been forthcoming.

Situation 2: Frustrating, but how should it have been handled instead? I think she should have paid for a date or two to even the score, but saying she no longer wanted to date him and going back to her ex isn't wrong...paying for a date =/= right to sex in my book.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:39 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,164,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Situation 1: Assuming they had talked about exclusivity (something I would expect before sleeping together), he cheated on her for months and refused to be honest at any point. If they had agreed somehow that they were allowed to see/date/be with other people, then I guess there's nothing wrong with it, but I still think he should have been forthcoming.

Situation 2: Frustrating, but how should it have been handled instead? I think she should have paid for a date or two to even the score, but saying she no longer wanted to date him and going back to her ex isn't wrong...paying for a date =/= right to sex in my book.
This is why I live by the notion:

Taking a girl on a date =/= me having to spend a lot of money on her.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

But the girl in Example 1 got to live out a fantasy, even if the fantasy was short-lived and eventually turned into a nightmare. Don't they say that "it's better to have loved and lost?" At the very least, she knows what earth-shaking, mindblowing sex is like. And she did have cherished moments with the "8," even if those moments were ephemeral.

The guy in Example 2 didn't get anything he wanted. Buying dinner may not entitle him to sex, but he's definitely buying dinner with the expectation that his date is seriously considering him as a worthy relationship prospect. But in his case, he did not get a relationship or sex, and he paid for all of the dates. She basically hit him up for free meals while she plotted and planned on getting her ex back.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:06 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,093,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Ex. 1. You're an average-looking girl (5). You get solicitations from men both above and beneath your own attractiveness rating (where the man's attractiveness is determined by more than just his looks). You get asked out by a guy who's an "8." You enter into a relationship with this guy and he sweeps you off your feet. Objectively speaking, he's the best guy you've ever been in a relationship with (tall, funny, handsome, good job, etc). The sex is unbelievable. Three months into the relationship, you discover that he's been seeing other women the entire time you've been together. When you confront him about it, he doesn't even respond. You see him out on the town a week later with a new girl that's much prettier than you. You feel used...like he was just "parking" in a relationship with you until something better came along.

Ex. 2. You're an average guy. Average job, average car, average apartment, average height, average charms. You're a male "5." You approach girls above your attractiveness rating (6-8), but they shoot you down before you can get past "Hello." You got to treat a female "6" to dinner a few times, but on the last date she said she just wanted to be friends. You never got to sleep with her. A week later, you hear through friends that the "6" got back with her ex-boyfriend, who's a real stud. You feel used...like she was just accepting dinner dates with you to keep herself entertained until something better came along.

Which situation is worse?

None..You never let anybody disrespect you no matter how you look.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:08 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But the girl in Example 1 got to live out a fantasy, even if the fantasy was short-lived and eventually turned into a nightmare. Don't they say that "it's better to have loved and lost?" At the very least, she knows what earth-shaking, mindblowing sex is like. And she did have cherished moments with the "8," even if those moments were ephemeral.

The guy in Example 2 didn't get anything he wanted. Buying dinner may not entitle him to sex, but he's definitely buying dinner with the expectation that his date is seriously considering him as a worthy relationship prospect. But in his case, he did not get a relationship or sex, and he paid for all of the dates. She basically hit him up for free meals while she plotted and planned on getting her ex back.
So do you want to tell us who she was that used you? Or do you still want to pretend you were really asking for people's opinions? I vote for the first option; it's just faster.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumGuy View Post
That's why divorce should be illegal.
Or that's why men shouldn't get married in the first place.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
So do you want to tell us who she was that used you? Or do you still want to pretend you were really asking for people's opinions? I vote for the first option; it's just faster.
He could be justifying being the hot cheater, though.

Thanks for letting us know the answer to your question, Bajan.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
I've been on both sides of the transaction. I have been with girls I was lukewarm about and I've been hit up by girls who were lukewarm about me. But the thread is not about me...I just asked which situation was worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships